Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X 2016 for Ford 250 Platinum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my wife a Tesla to replace the one I totaled. That said decided I don't need my Ford 250 Platinum now worth around 50K. A local BMW dealership has a gorgeous like brand new Model X with 37K and the SC01 enabled, free supercharging.

When on the test drive it said $0.00 on the last charge.

Going from $1,200 per month in Maintenance and gas, drive around 30K a year to free very appealing.

That said, if I purchase it from a 3rd party dealership, it was traded for a BMW, will the SC01 work once the car is transferred to my app/account?

I went to Tesla today and to say they provided no valuable information would be an overstatement.

Yes I know many threads on this and I read through them but looking for clear answers in a very murky world.

Maybe read thru this page Tesla Supercharging FAQ
Seems yes for private sales but not sure that applies to a dealership.
Reading some VIN Decoders looks like Model X 2016 May or May not have transferable SC01 free charging. Very confusing, and unlike all other cars in USA, you cannot get info about the car from the vin as to delivered enabled features at all.
Went to Tesla no valuable information given.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
There were reports of Tesla removing free supercharging from vehicles sold by third-party dealers. They turned out not to be true. If the car itself had free supercharging, and I believe that one would, then it stays with the vehicle. Surprisingly Tesla has even left the free supercharging in place for salvage cars that they reinstate.

Reactions: BrendonHolt
There were reports of Tesla removing free supercharging from vehicles sold by third-party dealers. They turned out not to be true. If the car itself had free supercharging, and I believe that one would, then it stays with the vehicle. Surprisingly Tesla has even left the free supercharging in place for salvage cars that they reinstate.
Thanks, was posting because getting high interest in changing from my Diesel Guzzling ICE to EV like my wife has.
Wish there was a way to confirm SC01 is on the vehicle before purchase. Looked all over, even went to Tesla in person and no one can simply tell me if SC01 was included in the build sheet.
Car looks as new as the ones in the show room. That said SC01 or not, you have good knowledge, question:
Is the Model X 2016 with 38K miles that looks brand new a good deal or is the 2016 Model X P90 a bad deal.

PS: The VIN on this one is: 5YJXCAE23GF006568 if anyone has a way to look up Build Sheet.
Already have agreement to buy at 47K and 72 hours to refuse/reverse.
My trade means I will basically break even.
Tested if it stays in the lane and changes lane and it does.

Will probably purchase Newer Display, Computer and Sound Upgrade.

Last edited:
Thanks, was posting because getting high interest in changing from my Diesel Guzzling ICE to EV like my wife has.
Wish there was a way to confirm SC01 is on the vehicle before purchase. Looked all over, even went to Tesla in person and no one can simply tell me if SC01 was included in the build sheet.
Car looks as new as the ones in the show room. That said SC01 or not, you have good knowledge, question:
Is the Model X 2016 with 38K miles that looks brand new a good deal or is the 2016 Model X P90 a bad deal.

PS: The VIN on this one is: 5YJXCAE23GF006568 if anyone has a way to look up Build Sheet.
Already have agreement to buy at 47K and 72 hours to refuse/reverse.
My trade means I will basically break even.
Tested if it stays in the lane and changes lane and it does.

Will probably purchase Newer Display, Computer and Sound Upgrade.

I've been considering changing to a model X from my Model S for a few years now. The S just runs so well I guess I haven't had enough incentive! So, I've been doing a lot of reading. I've heard people say that their 2016 X has been absolutely bulletproof and a beautiful vehicle, and read a lot about how those early model X have a lot of issues. So, I'm not sure myself! I'm looking at a 2017 right now, but not sure how it's going to turn out. This may be a luck of the draw thing.

I would guess one that had been as well taken care of as yours has had most of the issues worked out as well. But, anytime you buy a more elaborate vehicle like this, they did call it a Faberge egg for quite some time, then you take your chances I guess. Still, can't cost more than the fuel you're paying for in that big monster truck! I owned a 250 for a long time, and loved it, but not the bill at the pump.

Reactions: BrendonHolt
I've been considering changing to a model X from my Model S for a few years now. The S just runs so well I guess I haven't had enough incentive! So, I've been doing a lot of reading. I've heard people say that their 2016 X has been absolutely bulletproof and a beautiful vehicle, and read a lot about how those early model X have a lot of issues. So, I'm not sure myself! I'm looking at a 2017 right now, but not sure how it's going to turn out. This may be a luck of the draw thing.

I would guess one that had been as well taken care of as yours has had most of the issues worked out as well. But, anytime you buy a more elaborate vehicle like this, they did call it a Faberge egg for quite some time, then you take your chances I guess. Still, can't cost more than the fuel you're paying for in that big monster truck! I owned a 250 for a long time, and loved it, but not the bill at the pump.
Yes, going to look for Tow Hitch, but also, can rent truck from enterprise when need it and it is not expensive. The truck is very high maintenance, but yea, there is that, "I LOVE THE TRUCK". But like you not the +100 per fill up.

That’s a very early VIN (006568) and will most certainly have SC01. I’d bet on it.
Thanks, that would be a very pleasant surprise. The car has a battery that will charge to around 245 Miles Range is that about right. Obviously not very much charge Cycles at 37K.

Nervous about posts about Battery Degrading but not case at this point with this vehicle. Could use some wisdom and APPRECIATE your response.

Thanks, that would be a very pleasant surprise. The car has a battery that will charge to around 245 Miles Range is that about right. Obviously not very much charge Cycles at 37K.

Nervous about posts about Battery Degrading but not case at this point with this vehicle. Could use some wisdom and APPRECIATE your response.
That mileage is OK actually. Sounds like a great car depending on your use cases (local travel). If you are a big road tripper then it would not be great but OK with more and more superchargers (supercharge.info).

Note from back when I had a P90D.
HQM0Nfv.jpg

Me and 4 others.
pkZyjAb.jpg

That mileage is OK actually. Sounds like a great car depending on your use cases (local travel). If you are a big road tripper then it would not be great but OK with more and more superchargers (supercharge.info).

Note from back when I had a P90D.
HQM0Nfv.jpg

Me and 4 others.
pkZyjAb.jpg
Thanks, great battery information. It had 224 Miles Left and was around 90%, so in line with these numbers. In reality, mostly going to drive in South Florida, drive a lot, but mostly local. On a long trip probably fly, but in case of long trip, clearly distance will not be as good as a new one.

Really appreciate the information and post.

Reactions: scottf200
Thanks, great battery information. It had 224 Miles Left and was around 90%, so in line with these numbers. In reality, mostly going to drive in South Florida, drive a lot, but mostly local. On a long trip probably fly, but in case of long trip, clearly distance will not be as good as a new one.

Really appreciate the information and post.
You are welcome. It was my first Tesla and I was pretty thrilled with it. Lost it to deer accident in 2017.

I had road tripped my P90D a fair amount (30K+) back in 2016 & 17 and it was OK. Seems a fair better in my 100D since I can skip some SCs now.
Maybe, tho, now with so many SCers being built it is less and less of an issue for P90D. I linked to the crowdsourced superchargers (supercharge.info) map above in case you were not familiar.
As well you can look at trips with the new ABRP or classic ABRP and specify a P90D with the range to get an idea on places you road trip to.

Interesting, it seems the charge time on the 90D Model X for a 2016 may be very slow. Is there a way to increase the charge time, in other words upgrade? If not what Model X versions have faster Charge Times. The charge time seems to be slow, some posters have it at as much as an hour at a Super Charger.

Interesting, it seems the charge time on the 90D Model X for a 2016 may be very slow. Is there a way to increase the charge time, in other words upgrade? If not what Model X versions have faster Charge Times. The charge time seems to be slow, some posters have it at as much as an hour at a Super Charger.
AC charging had a dual charger option on Signature Xs but you are talking about DC Supercharger and other are no options on any Teslas for speed. Newer year batterys charge faster with different chemistry.

Optionally, just go buy a 100D Aug 2017 (AP2.5 hardware) or later for faster charging and a different battery chemistry. Suspect it may be $10K-$20K more. Look at truecar or whereever else.

I don't know if the 90s are able to do this (I'd guess so) but if you always use the trip planner to go to the Superchargers then they should pre-heat the battery (depending on it's current temp) ... to get it to the optimal charging speed. Alternatively "yo-yo" / hot rod it some to warm up the battery :) YT influences have recommended this from their testing. Of course, you are in southern FL so may your battery would always be warm.

You need to be much more specific. From what SOC % to what SOC %? After 50% things really really slow down on all Teslas.
Personally, for non-home_garage charging at a Supercharger, I'd only charge up to 70 or 80%. Maybe 90% if you have time. 95%-100% if you are within a few hours of taking a road trip.

The 90 battery: BTX4: The 90 kWh battery in S90 and X90

aEKRF1k.jpg

"First of all, the battery model of a Tesla is not completely clear from the model name. An almost complete list of Tesla batteries includes:

BT37: The 75 kWh battery in a Model 3 Long Range
BT60: The old S60 60 kWh battery
BT70: The old S70 70 kWh battery
BT85: The classic “85” kWh battery in a Model S85
BTX4: The 90 kWh battery in S90 and X90
BTX5: The 75 kWh battery in S75 and X75
BTX6: The top-of-the-line battery 100 kWh in S100 and X100
BTX7: A rare 85 kWh battery, where we have almost no data
BTX8: An 85 kWh battery found in some rare S75 and X75
"
Via: Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars

Last edited:
After 50% things really really slow down on all Teslas.
Personally, for non-home_garage charging at a Supercharger, I'd only charge up to 70 or 80%. Maybe 90% if you have time. 95%-100% if you are within a few hours of taking a road trip.
Bingo. I recently took at quick road trip from Nor Cal to deep into So Cal and was shocked by how many Teslas were parked at SC stalls, with people in them, waiting for cars to charge. I would slip in, charge for 15 minutes and then go another ~130 miles and repeat. I was always in and out first, which I thought was shocking since I have an old Tesla. But I was getting 112 kW under 50% and just needed to get to 60% to continue. Overall trip time was way faster sipping frequently vs gulping occasionally. Once I did stay until 85% but I was having a meal so ...

Bingo. I recently took at quick road trip from Nor Cal to deep into So Cal and was shocked by how many Teslas were parked at SC stalls, with people in them, waiting for cars to charge. I would slip in, charge for 15 minutes and then go another ~130 miles and repeat. I was always in and out first, which I thought was shocking since I have an old Tesla. But I was getting 112 kW under 50% and just needed to get to 60% to continue. Overall trip time was way faster sipping frequently vs gulping occasionally. Once I did stay until 85% but I was having a meal so ...
More stops, makes sense. Going to be a big change, my F250 gets around 375 Miles between refills and stops. Generally go non-stop between South Florida and the Adirondacks, twice a year to drop off wife and pick up wife. Great relationship management.

Probably keep a vehicle up there and fly, driving the Tesla will add a lot of time. Just use the Tesla Local.

More stops, makes sense. Going to be a big change, my F250 gets around 375 Miles between refills and stops. Generally go non-stop between South Florida and the Adirondacks, twice a year to drop off wife and pick up wife. Great relationship management.

Probably keep a vehicle up there and fly, driving the Tesla will add a lot of time. Just use the Tesla Local.
Unfortunately this is true for todays EVs. Unless you have time (overnight or meal break), then the long charge cycles at the top half are going to be a real inhibitor. I do have an older Tesla with a battery that has degraded 10% but even so, long trips take much longer. For example in my case an 8 hour drive takes 10 hours in the Tesla.

But trips that can be done within a single pre charge, or at worse, one 15 minute trip charge, are the sweet spot for EVs. So you just need to figure out which cars range can fit that criteria for you. If you take a lot of long trips then even a car with 300 miles of range may be an issue (and don't forget to factor in the environmental factors such as heating/cooling and payload, with can cut range by 30%-50%).