Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, i was wondering is a good idea to go for used Tesla Model X 60D ??
if i need to replace the Battery , does Tesla still make 60D Batteries or not ? or else can i replace 60D with 90D Battery whenever its time for replacement?
i am keep thinking what is the future or Tesla models has 60D batteries because they are too small for long drive and when its time to replace what is the option we have?

Um, how much is the seller asking for a 60? It would have to be a pretty serious discount for any battery upgrade plans to make economic sense.

People don't replace the batteries on Teslas (unless you are wk057 or some total ninja Tesla hacker). A new battery from Tesla would cost about the same as the car is worth:

New batteries are like $25k, plus $15k more if you don't let them keep the old one.

Perhaps you are concerned with battery degradation and you are assuming replacing batteries on Teslas is or will be a common occurrence. It's not. Most Tesla batteries, even ones approaching the end of their eight year warranty, still have 80% or more of their original range.

One thing is for sure, Tesla won't be upgrading you from a 60 to a 90. I don't think that is an 'official' option ever.

The good news is no 60kwh pack was ever installed in a Model X no matter what the badge says. All X's originally limited to 60kwh actually contained a physical 75kwh pack: the limitation was purely in software.

So if you have a 60 that is still locked, you actually already have a 75, you just need to convince Tesla to sell you the software "upgrade" and magically turn it into a 75. No new hardware is required, just a credit card. Officially they have stopped offering this, but there are some (relatively recent) reports of persistent owners having success with this. That might be a legitimate upgrade strategy?

(Side note, if you keep it locked to 60, at least you never have to worry about charging it to "100%" : since you would never be able to charge it to more than ~80% of its capacity no matter what the software reports, you could just max it out on every charge.)

In general it sounds like you are concerned with range and you imagine a world where you save money by knowingly buying a car with a limited range and then somehow improving it later. You should avoid taking a car that currently only has 60 kwh of usable range unless someone is giving it to you for free. It will be far more cost effective to just get a car that already has the range you need. No one upgrades the physical batteries on Teslas.

Hi Everyone, i was wondering is a good idea to go for used Tesla Model X 60D ??
if i need to replace the Battery , does Tesla still make 60D Batteries or not ? or else can i replace 60D with 90D Battery whenever its time for replacement?
i am keep thinking what is the future or Tesla models has 60D batteries because they are too small for long drive and when its time to replace what is the option we have?

There are many battery replacement threads over in the model S section of the forum. The latest is that somebody paid $11,000 to have an 85 kilowatt hour pack replaced. But, then again, another user did report, earlier, that it cost them 22,000 out of warranty. We don't know why that one was out of warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
The Model X is the least-efficient currently made Tesla. It uses a lot of electricity to go the same distance vs. other Teslas. The 60 kWh battery pack was only offered for a short time. Tesla does not do hardware battery upgrades. (Some 40 and 60 kWh Teslas have larger capacity batteries installed and may be able to be software upgraded.)

If you are concerned about range, look at 90 or 100 kWh equipped Model Xs instead.

But, then again, another user did report, earlier, that it cost them 22,000 out of warranty. We don't know why that one was out of warranty.

If it's the one I think you are referring to, that car was older than 8 years and out of the original new car battery warranty. This was the second battery pack that needed to be replaced on the car but the first replacement was also out of warranty.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
The Model X is the least-efficient currently made Tesla. It uses a lot of electricity to go the same distance vs. other Teslas. The 60 kWh battery pack was only offered for a short time. Tesla does not do hardware battery upgrades. (Some 40 and 60 kWh Teslas have larger capacity batteries installed and may be able to be software upgraded.)

If you are concerned about range, look at 90 or 100 kWh equipped Model Xs instead.
90D most likely will only have ~70-75 usable kWh. Would go for a 100D if you don’t care about free supercharging.