Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X (and maybe S) Rear Entertainment idea. Anyone tried it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Apologies if this has been posted before in this format, did a search, can't see it.

So I have a MS and an MX...... and 3 kids!

In the rear of my MS I have a Revozport iPad holder, it's great for the kids, looks OEM and as the audio pairs over bluetooth to the car, I dont need to worry about recharging headphones, etc.

Revozport Model S iPad Holder

The negatives are;
  1. The position is low, so it's not great for their posture.
  2. The holder is expensive. Was $1500 when I bought it (I got it for less, but still.)
  3. The holder isn't very secure, in that it sometimes drops whilst driving.
  4. As it's an ipad in there the kids lean forward to change video's etc.
So, now that I have a 6 seat Model X and 3 kids, how do I keep them all happy on long journeys in the car?

Here are my options as I see them:

Revozport iPad Holder for Model X

Revozport iPad Holder for Model X
I'm not a huge fan of this solution as:
  1. With it being made for an iPad the kids would need to get out of their seats to select videos, which isn't practical or safe.
  2. It blocks your rearview mirror completely.
  3. It's $600, which is more reasonable than their last version of this, but still a little pricey.

2x Cheapy phone mounts in the cup holders

2x Cheapy phone mounts in the cup holders
Not a huge fan of this either:
  1. It really does look cheap, not sturdy and suffers from movement.
  2. With it being made for an iPad the kids would need to get out of their seats to select videos, which isn't practical or safe.
  3. The viewing position is low, and again, poor for the kids posture/necks.

So, I've been digging and scratching my head......

I love my Nvidia Shield box at home, what if I could get something like that (powered by USB) into the car, plugged into a ceiling mounted monitor?
Here's the plan:
  1. Buy a Mibox (or any other Android TV stick with a remote) capable of running Youtube Kids and Netflix, and be powered over USB.
  2. Buy and install a flip down monitor like this one or this one and install it to the ceiling of the MX, between windscreen and falcon wing doors.
  3. Pair the Android TV stick to the cars bluetooth so that audio can play through the car speakers, like so: Does anyone know if the Mi Box can output bluetooth audio? : AndroidTV.
Now, I've never done anything technical in a car beyond install a basic dashcam (Blackvue) in my MS, am a little unsure on how to get this one done. So am looking for advice, guidance and examples of what you all have done in yours.
Also, if you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know!

Look forward to the feedback,

thanks everyone!

Our kids just have their own iPads or phones to take on long trips. We are sometimes super mean and make them see how we roughed it in the 70s and 80s on road trips. The joy of playing and/or fighting with siblings is an experience every kid (and parent) should have. Even with our old Navigator, I would not play videos for them in town. They knew it was for long trips only. I used to, but the fighting got so bad, and having a video to watch in the car is a luxury, so I made that rule. I guess it depends on how much of your kids' noise you can handle and drive, really.

i think you are overthinking everything

i just got this. $16 for two

Untitled.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NNK4PK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can you share installed photos once you get it? i've used similar seatback protectors without the tablet pouch and they all tend to fold over and sag at the top corners.

Nothing fancy but gets the job done at a fraction of the price. I can see it possibly folding in the corners but could be an easy fix with velcro and cardboard or something similar to stiffen the backing.

IMG_20190529_132243.jpg
IMG_20190529_133254.jpg
IMG_20190529_133306.jpg

Reactions: Shaz
I got a suction cup mount to stick to the windshield in the middle up high. Also using RF modulation plus radio to get rid of Bluetooth audio lag.
I've just started the research. How noticeable is the video/audio de-synchronization when connecting through bluetooth? If RF module is noticeably better, did you get the aftermarket headrest entertainment with it built in or is there a way to connect any tablet to Radio?

I wedge the iPad between the front two seats sitting on the center arm rest. Purchased a right angle charging cable, stream sound over Bluetooth, works perfectly for my kids and at a good height and location for everyone in the back.

I've just started the research. How noticeable is the video/audio de-synchronization when connecting through bluetooth? If RF module is noticeably better, did you get the aftermarket headrest entertainment with it built in or is there a way to connect any tablet to Radio?

BT is really bad. Second or more off audio. Haven't tried the RF modulation yet, but will on a future road trip.

I take a long piece of string, put a loop at each end and lasso them around the front headrests. So now there is a string tethered between the two headrests and I flip the iPad cover over that string. It works perfectly, hangs high without blocking rear view mirror, is easy to setup and take down, and costs less than a penny. I’ll try to post a picture soon

Reactions: Seattle Tom