TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model X as hotspot?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by sunnyvale, Nov 6, 2016.

1. sunnyvale

sunnyvale Member

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Recent reports of V8 FW state that when moving the WiFi is turned off, so right now it sounds like they are going backwards from this.

• Like x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I think all the existing cars have the hardware to make a viable hotspot. As long as Tesla is paying for all network services to the car, it doesn't make sense - a single car with the hotspot turned on and a couple of tablets streaming videos for kids in back probably eats up more cellular data than a dozen cars operating normally.

4. sunnyvale

sunnyvale Member

ok but at least they can charge a little bit for that service if they want. Just provide us something :)

5. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

I would suspect there are considerable hacking risks associated with a wi-fi hotspot.

6. hollywood

hollywood Member

According to knowledgeable sales rep, it's in the works and coming really soon

7. grommet

grommet Member

The Wi-Fi tech in the Tesla used to connect just at home is seriously outdated already, thanks to the vintage NVIDIA SOC it uses. (802.11g only, 2.4Ghz only... in 2016?!) I don't see this happening, if ever, until after they update the home Wi-Fi support.

Anyway, as others have said, it really doesn't make much sense for Tesla... there are far higher priorities.