Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Chrome Delete with Plasti Dip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it looks great. I have seen some plasti dip cars before and it always has a "look". Not bad, but I find vinyl to look better. Maybe it is how they apply it?

Most application vids I see show 3 coats of progressive coverage to "do it right". Keep us posted on how it holds up with your one pass application system.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
What did you do about the folding mirrors? Seems like you’d have to paint it a few times to get the area exposed by the fold.

You have two choices. The first is to re-spray with the mirror closed to get the unexposed area. The second is to simply not fold the mirrors. :)

I've left the mirrors in the unfolded position for now, but since you've mention it, I'm going to re-spray with the mirrors folded to finish it off. Thanks!

Reactions: himself and Hilbe
it looks great. I have seen some plasti dip cars before and it always has a "look". Not bad, but I find vinyl to look better. Maybe it is how they apply it?

Most application vids I see show 3 coats of progressive coverage to "do it right". Keep us posted on how it holds up with your one pass application system.

I did used 3 coats. Yes, how you apply plasti dip makes a huge diff to the end result. You have to make sure the can is at room temp and the spray nozzle is clean. This prevents clumping and ensure a nice even spread of dip.

Last edited:
My local place charges $850 to plastic dip for chrome delete. They claim that wrapping on vinyl, especially the emblems will peel. Any thoughts?
Someone pointed me to nikolapro.com which sells the vinyl wraps for $150 but you do it yourself. Not sure if that includes vinyl for the battery size “75D” or “100D” or “dual motor”

My local place charges $850 to plastic dip for chrome delete. They claim that wrapping on vinyl, especially the emblems will peel. Any thoughts?
Someone pointed me to nikolapro.com which sells the vinyl wraps for $150 but you do it yourself. Not sure if that includes vinyl for the battery size “75D” or “100D” or “dual motor”
Labor must be the significant portion of the quoted cost. I did 3 coats of plasti-dip and I probably spent about $40-$50 total for spray and masking (get the mask tape that has 5' of plastic attached). It is an all day process, which includes 45 mins of drying time per coat.

How did you paint the “Tesla” and “dual motor” or “75D” in the trunk?
With plasti-dip, you'll leave unmasked around 2" of surface area to allow for easy removal of excess. After you spray it (a few rounds), you should be able to simply peel off the excess and only the logos will remain. I did end up having to remove some excess with a toothpick, but that was inside the P90D logo.