Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Falcon Wing doors and dissected eyebrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the video:

1. I arrive and park in front of the garage.
2. Open passenger side falcon wing door. It opens fully as expected.
3. Get into garage. Switch into the parking. Get out of the garage.
4. Press open button. It doesn't open fully.
5. Press open one more time. It opens fully as I would expect.

ps. There are not tree branches hanging on top of the car. They were trimmed then I thought it was related awhile ago.
@davidahn is correct. Since you passed under the open garage door, X remembers the height hence limiting the FWD height even after you exited the garage. It is a feature of the car.

It is useful for me because there are many objects in underground garages that are not detected by a simple parking sensor at the top of the roof. In underground parkings, we have fire extinguishers that hang from the roof, building columns/beams and mechanical parking structures that prevent FWD to open fully.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca and PrGrPa
I set to full height at this location in the garage. The doors have never hit any objects, scratched or punctured walls.

Same here, it ensures they open fully out on the driveway and if I do open them in the garage, the sensors still prevent the doors from fully opening if something is obstructing them. The only thing to watch for is objects that are not picked up by the sensors, for example items close to the ground or only obstructing the edges of the FWD. Things like walls and roof should not be an issue.

@Peteski Even though it might be a correct behavior it is still annoying and is not appropriate in my case. Instead of claiming that current behavior is ok, it is better to make it better.

Well I'm not claiming it's okay, just saying how I get on with them myself. I have to be very careful opening FWDs inside the garage, which I try to avoid unless I arrive home in heavy rain, but I'd still rather set them to fully open at home specifically to avoid the problem you have on your driveway. It's hard to cover every possible scenario, so sometimes you just have to work around these issues. FWDs require a bit more thought than ordinary doors, but plenty of people hurt themselves every day with normal doors too. For example our neighbour slammed one shut on her daughter's hand and she finished up in A&E with crushed fingers. These things happen. I can think of lots of occasions where for various reasons FWDs have only partially opened, but so far I've managed not to walk into them and if I did then I would blame myself for not paying attention.

I named my car "Whomper" after the Whomping Willow in Harry Potter. During the first couple of weeks I managed to get several lumps and bumps from either banging my head into a partially open FWD or trunk or actually being "whomped" by one of the FWD's (tight parking spot). After owning the X for a couple of months we are now on good terms, (but I haven't changed the name yet..)

• Funny
Reactions: Peteski
I have a follow up question to this behavior:
Does this "car is in the garage" behavior apply to the trunk?
My trunk only opens enough to hit me in the chin.
I am 5' 11" tall...
I have opened the trunk fully and pressed the "set this position" button, heard the beep,
and it still opens to the lower position.

In the display the trunk lid shows in yellow with the arcs overhead indicating an obstruction.
The visible sensor is directly below the drive motor for the garage door.

The Tesla ranger was also puzzled trying to "set" the height and it did not work for him...

Is this an artifact of the same behavior? Or time for a new sensor?

Thank You,

Shawn

I have a follow up question to this behavior:
Does this "car is in the garage" behavior apply to the trunk?
My trunk only opens enough to hit me in the chin.
I am 5' 11" tall...
I have opened the trunk fully and pressed the "set this position" button, heard the beep,
and it still opens to the lower position.

In the display the trunk lid shows in yellow with the arcs overhead indicating an obstruction.
The visible sensor is directly below the drive motor for the garage door.

The Tesla ranger was also puzzled trying to "set" the height and it did not work for him...

Is this an artifact of the same behavior? Or time for a new sensor?

Thank You,

Shawn

I reckon it's the same thing. I noticed this too on my driveway until I forced it to always fully open in this location. It took me a while to work out what was happening, but it was obviously considering my driveway and garage to be the same location.

I have experienced this repeatedly, and Tesla keeps telling me that there is nothing wrong. They're either lying or incompetent. The door sensors simply do not work reliably. Lately, mine has stopped opening more than 75% of the time, even in empty parking lots with nothing for 20+ feet overhead.

And this occurs even in places where "always fully open in this location" is set.

I'm amazed there hasn't been a lawsuit over this, because yeah, I've hit my head several times when the door failed to open for no obvious reason, and given how many other people I've seen complaining about it, I can't imagine that this misbehavior is rare.

Mine was acting up in the parking lot when I picked it up after service. A tech came out and did some tests finding the side sensor in the door was detecting presence when no one was there. I don't think I can do this test alone since someone has to be in the car for any of this to show on the screen. Get them to examine the door operation with you.

For those who didn't understand the initial post, the doors should not open fully when inside the garage, but the continue to not open once outside the garage as well. Mine fail to open intermittently at all times and places when they should open fully.

BTW, I've hit my head on the doors many times. But then I hit my head on many parts of the car including the roof behind the driver and in front of the falcon wing doors, the roof between the fwds and pretty much any other place a head can sometimes not fit.