TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model X in Aus

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Masoud, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Masoud

Masoud Member

Anyone know when the model X will be available in Australia? Also what are the prices?

2. raynewman

raynewman Member

Soon :tongue:

3. Wattup

Wattup Member

Ray, thats just not fair, Masoud probably has no idea what a Tesla soon looks like.

4. Masoud

Masoud Member

haha :) Yes I have no idea what Tesla soon is. If it's anything like Black Magic Design, the professional video camera and postproduction company, it can range from 1 month to a year. :)

5. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

And the rest. My guesstimating is first or second quarter 2017.

6. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

It's in the pipeline........one that probably stretches across North America, Europe and Asia before it reaches Oz, to fill in the wait time you could enjoy the pleasure of the most incredible car on the planet, a Tesla Model S.

7. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

#7 meloccom, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Model S delivered to first US Signature customers on June 22, 2012. (Steve Jurvetson and Elon got there's a few weeks earlier.)
    First Australian Signature Model S delivered at the Launch Event in Sydney December 9, 2014.
    So 2 years, 5 Months and change.
    First Model X deliveries were on September 29, 2015 plus 2 years and 5 months is February 2018.
    The Model S included a significant expansion of Stores and Service Centres, which is still happening, so Model X will be faster but I would not expect first Australian deliveries before 2017.

Pricing is easier to predict as Tesla have the unique idea of charging the same in all markets save shipping and local taxes. IIRC Elon said that Model X would be 10% more than the same spec Model S. Don't forget to add LCT.

8. BenT

BenT Member

I am number 116 in the order sequence for Australian Model X. How many can we expect in the first shipment?

9. paulp

paulp Member

Probably 115.

10. raynewman

raynewman Member

Ar - but some have been suspended/cancelled. I had #42 but got an S instead.

11. BenT

BenT Member

Anyone out there had order sequence number 116 or similar on the model S? How long did it take after the first Australian deliveries for you to get your model S?

12. paulp

paulp Member

Although tesla australia treat it's clients very well in australia, we certainly dont get the same love from the US. Take a D car as an example. I ordered mine in april. Ludicrous was announced a few months later. Ludicrous was delivered to US cars.....and D cars for australia were still all un-made. Then there's the hideous homelink situation.....
    So we will get X when tesla in freemont feels like it, which will be after US orders are filled if the S is any guide.

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Unfortunately, Homelink is not a Tesla decision. The hardware, I am now convinced, is present in our cars. The problem is the manufacturer. It is not generally sold in this market for whatever reason. Tesla is currently working on it, it further pressure from others asking for it will help. Email your service manager. You really have to look hard to find it, but the Landrover Evoque has it as an option for it in Oz, so there is precedent. ( page9 of the specs, I believe).

14. Masoud

Masoud Member

2017 actually sounds good to me. I'll have a better idea wether I can afford an X by then anyways, or keep waiting for model 3. In the meantime I'll put up with my Prius C. When I got my Prius I was so excited, now I go Meh :)

15. paulp

paulp Member

From the discussions I've had the hardware may not be in more recent cars.

16. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

If you google aftermarket Homelink, it is not that expensive. If approved here, and the hardware is not present, a retrofit should be easy and not expensive.

17. TesAus

TesAus Member

18. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

For the record I have a two month old Landrover Evoque which does have the Homelink hardware in it... No idea how to make it work with my gate though....

-ECIT

19. Xwing

Xwing Member

Hey BenT can I ask when you reserved your X? I put a reservation down in Nov this year and I'm wondering how many have been reserved in Oz so far?

20. 360C

360C Member

If the current price of a fully loaded P90D here is anything to go by, the Model X in the same spec would have to be $300k OTR. Way, way too much compared to what else is available in that price range.