Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny how before owning the MX, my family and I were the ones on the other side of the "Xperiences", asking questions and admiring the car. Although now we own the MX, it hasn't changed how much we approach owners and ask them about their cars!
We just cant stop admiring X's everywhere we go... even if it's downstairs in the garage
I'm that way about whatever I'm driving. I notice every one and give a wave. I appreciate a variety of cars, but am currently most passionate about Tesla.

It's funny how before owning the MX, my family and I were the ones on the other side of the "Xperiences", asking questions and admiring the car. Although now we own the MX, it hasn't changed how much we approach owners and ask them about their cars!
We just cant stop admiring X's everywhere we go... even if it's downstairs in the garage

Must be a location thing. Here in Northern California the Model X is becoming the upscale SUV. I bet I see 15 a day, especially if I happen to drive by a school at drop off/pickup time.

Reactions: beths11
Model X story. I was holding an event at a local home showroom (I'm a real estate agent), and afterwards walking to my car, some of attendees asked about the MX. So I opened the doors and showed them and talked with them about the car. A few minutes.

Then these two women came quickly strolling up to me and asked "Is this your car?" I still had the falcon wing doors opened. They were stunned. I let them crawl inside and take selfies and chatted with them about the car. Then they said "Now we have to go back to our *#&$ BMW." They were in an X5 35i. I asked how much that car was. 80k.

My $60K X3 BMW sits in my driveway gathering dust and bird poop. Lease is not up until November. I drive it once a week to get coffee just to keep the battery charged (A dead BMW battery runs $500 to replace and re-calibrate).

My $60K X3 BMW sits in my driveway gathering dust and bird poop. Lease is not up until November. I drive it once a week to get coffee just to keep the battery charged (A dead BMW battery runs $500 to replace and re-calibrate).

throw a trickle charger on to keep the battery healthy but let the bimmer sit and rot for all it matters .. lol

throw a trickle charger on to keep the battery healthy but let the bimmer sit and rot for all it matters .. lol

Ha. ha. While I don't drive the BMW much, in someways it is better than the X. Especially in safety and driver features. It has a HUD which is fantastic, best in the industry, Also, the cameras give a bird's eye view which let's you park in the tightest of spaces. The cameras also show traffic coming left and right when you pull out of a parking garage so you don't pull out in front or a truck, or clip a pedestrian or bicyclist. And the blind spot detection is great.

On the bad side, the map looks like a 5 year old cell phone after driving the X. Is slow to update (we have MCU2) and redraw, and tiny. How can you even see anything on a 8 inch screen?!

I had one of those moments today. I live in the SF Bay area and my girlfriend's iphone 4 died. We went to the Verizon store where they told us to upgrade would be a $40 fee in addition to the phone and the GF said "no way" so we were steered to a Best buy down the street. We finally got there in traffic, and we had the GF's dog, a beagle mix, in the back so we parked in a clear spot in view of the store and put the car in "Dog Mode" and went in.

Finally found someone to help us and we picked out the phone and paid for it and my girlfriend was looking at cases when I saw flashing lights out front and two Dublin police cars surrounding my Model X. "Oh *sugar*!" I told Diane to put the cases away and come out front as soon as she could and I walked outside quickly. I waved at the police and went up to them and introduced myself and that I was the owner of the car. They told me there was a dog left in the car and I told them, yes, the car was in dog mode and that is why the sign says "my owners will be right back, the AC is on and the temp is 70 degrees." They had not seen the dog mode before and so I released the dog and showed them around the car. Several other people came up so I turned on the dog mode again (dog out of car and now in my GF's care) and showed them the sign on the 17" screen. Showed them the doors, the Frunk and emergency battery disconnect, how to get into the Frunk, showed them the back trunk and lower trunk, and discussed the 5 seat, 6 seat and 7 seat arrangements. Discussed the safety of the car, showed them how to do an emergency release of the FWDs (I have several zip ties going to the release cables and then out the side of the speaker grill, as discussed elsewhere in this forum) and discussed safety features and the fact that the car cannot be "rolled over" in an accident. Or, at least it would be hard. The two officers were fascinated. No one has shown them a Tesla before.

Discussed range and the difference between the various models and the new "raven" models. (mine is the 2018 July, 295 mile distance) Discussed issues of charging and the difference between superchargers and level two chargers and traveling long distances with the Tesla and how the trip is planned for you. Range anxiety discussed.

I am so bad. Had to show them the Easter Eggs, the emission testing, romance mode, videos and games, mars lander, Internet browser, and finally (I am bad) the holiday model X dance, which the car performed flawlessly. That had them cracking up, now they want one for their department and perhaps for their own. IT is great not using a gasoline car.

Turned the situation into an educational one, everyone was smiling, they will report on the Tesla Dog Mode at their next police mustering report and we avoided a ticket!

Mike P

I had one of those moments today. I live in the SF Bay area and my girlfriend's iphone 4 died. We went to the Verizon store where they told us to upgrade would be a $40 fee in addition to the phone and the GF said "no way" so we were steered to a Best buy down the street. We finally got there in traffic, and we had the GF's dog, a beagle mix, in the back so we parked in a clear spot in view of the store and put the car in "Dog Mode" and went in.

Finally found someone to help us and we picked out the phone and paid for it and my girlfriend was looking at cases when I saw flashing lights out front and two Dublin police cars surrounding my Model X. "Oh *sugar*!" I told Diane to put the cases away and come out front as soon as she could and I walked outside quickly. I waved at the police and went up to them and introduced myself and that I was the owner of the car. They told me there was a dog left in the car and I told them, yes, the car was in dog mode and that is why the sign says "my owners will be right back, the AC is on and the temp is 70 degrees." They had not seen the dog mode before and so I released the dog and showed them around the car. Several other people came up so I turned on the dog mode again (dog out of car and now in my GF's care) and showed them the sign on the 17" screen. Showed them the doors, the Frunk and emergency battery disconnect, how to get into the Frunk, showed them the back trunk and lower trunk, and discussed the 5 seat, 6 seat and 7 seat arrangements. Discussed the safety of the car, showed them how to do an emergency release of the FWDs (I have several zip ties going to the release cables and then out the side of the speaker grill, as discussed elsewhere in this forum) and discussed safety features and the fact that the car cannot be "rolled over" in an accident. Or, at least it would be hard. The two officers were fascinated. No one has shown them a Tesla before.

Discussed range and the difference between the various models and the new "raven" models. (mine is the 2018 July, 295 mile distance) Discussed issues of charging and the difference between superchargers and level two chargers and traveling long distances with the Tesla and how the trip is planned for you. Range anxiety discussed.

I am so bad. Had to show them the Easter Eggs, the emission testing, romance mode, videos and games, mars lander, Internet browser, and finally (I am bad) the holiday model X dance, which the car performed flawlessly. That had them cracking up, now they want one for their department and perhaps for their own. IT is great not using a gasoline car.

Turned the situation into an educational one, everyone was smiling, they will report on the Tesla Dog Mode at their next police mustering report and we avoided a ticket!

Mike P
Really nice work Mike!!!

These are lessons others will need to learn, like the Dublin & other cops.

Picked mine up. Had to dance in the parking lot, naturally

Attachments

• 17A36FE9-DCF0-4B8C-9FE0-58E3914C571D.jpeg
    17A36FE9-DCF0-4B8C-9FE0-58E3914C571D.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 132
  • 8611E420-D08B-4162-9DD5-4D9E7CFCC746.jpeg
    8611E420-D08B-4162-9DD5-4D9E7CFCC746.jpeg
    915.8 KB · Views: 127