Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does have a "showroom mode" that limits the radio volume and prevents the horn from going off. I think it prevents a few other things. Although I am unsure if it is available once the vehicle is purchased or if it is only limited to a Tesla vehicle in showrooms.

1. Last Sunday, my wife and I drove an extremely wealthy business executive from Beijing, his newlywed son, and daughter-in-law around Silicon Valley to tour $2M to $4M homes for sale. It's the father's wedding gift to the couple, as his son will be working here soon.

The father was astounded by our P90D, AutoPilot, and all the other features I demoed, including the Tesla app. I switched my X to metric mode so he could check out the electricity monitor. His eyes lit up when he learned that the X just went on sale in China last week.

His MSEE son commented that Beijing's air is very polluted so the BioWeapon filtration will be a very useful feature there. The father said he knows people in discussions with Tesla to build and operate the factory in China. He claimed the Chinese government plans to provide rebates to its citizens that will make Tesla vehicles built in this future factory less expensive for Chinese buyers than they are here for Americans after US tax credits and state rebates. (This wouldn't surprise me at all, since when I was in China last summer, the pollution was just awful. They really need to get their ICE's off the road asap.)

When his son's wife sat next to me, I demonstrated voice control. After a new restaurant name wasn't recognized, I asked her to say: "drive to the White House". She was stunned when "1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC" appeared on the Nav screen AND a cross-country route was calculated with all the SuperCharger stops! Next she wondered what the X would do if she said "drive to Beijing" so she tried that and laughed. An 0-100 km/hr launch demo with "max battery power" on (later when the father wasn't riding in the X) elicited laughs and "this is so much fun" from her. Her husband wanted to know what the 0-60 times were so I told him, and also about ludicrous mode, too.

The feature that impressed the new couple the most was when I asked her to say: "play Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles" and Slacker did. Later, a friend from his university that joined our dinner party asked her what she thought of the Model X. She simply said:

"It blew my mind!"

‪#‎teslamagic‬ ‪#‎viralmarketing‬ ‪#‎sellsitself‬ ‪#‎needsnoadvertising‬

2. Last Saturday, when we stopped at the Petaluma supercharger on the way to Ukiah, I plugged in right next to a group of 5 late teens(?) who were holding "Bernie" signs near a festival that was going on across the street. They showed a lot of interest, asking many questions which I answered. One said his mom used to work at one of the Tesla locations in the South Bay.

3. From 3/24 through his semester finals last week, every time we visited my son at Cal, where you have to drive very slowly because of all the people on foot and skateboards, multiple students would either point out the X to their friends, take cell shots/videos, "I like your car", etc. I noticed this happening more frequently near the STEM-related buildings.

4. On our son's "move out" day, the entrance to his dorm complex was blocked. They only let in vehicles if everything was packed-up ready to load. When I approached, the RD (Resident Director) went absolutely nuts over the X. It turns out she had reserved a Model 3!

5. Many people have asked: "is that the new Tesla car everybody ordered?"

As a long-time stockholder and finally, a lucky owner of this incredible machine, I hope I'll be able to continue to help spread the word not only to my clients, but everyone else who encounters my X. I enjoy demoing it's amazing features.

@engle I hope when people asked you "is that the new Tesla car everybody ordered" you told them "No. This is the new Tesla car that is so expensive so there is enough profit for Tesla to be able to afford the equipment and development costs to build the newer Tesla car everybody ordered."

Picking up my son and his friend from the movie theater yesterday opened the FWD for them..people standing in line at the box office..eyes wide open and jaws dropped like they just saw a celebrity.
Speaking of celebrities... went to Costco and parked behind a Tahoe, with the family just getting out. First saw the dad on one side, with twins in the cart. Then saw mom on the other side with a third (triplets!). Then she got out a fourth (quadruplets!!!). That's when my wife recognized them as local celebrities that are going to have a show on TLC. We started getting our kids out, and the mom exclaimed "those are cool [doors]!!" It was just funny that we were the celebrities to the celebrities (who got stopped by several people as they were walking in to the store).

We were at Nevada beach on the south side of lake Tahoe and drove into the campgroup/beach area. Stopped at the booth to pay the entrance fee and the ranger on duty asked "Is this the new Tesla - it's so quiet", followed by "Does it have the cool doors?". I offered to open it up and show it to him and he was like "That would be awesome if you don't mind". So I did and he was wow-ed. He didn't give us any discount on the $8 entrance fee, though :)

My mailman was asking about our X today while I was headed down the drive. He walked toward the front and said, "it doesn't have an engine, does it..? What's that noise?"

I just told him to feed our mail into the nostril slot.

The April 2016 Model S loaner I got was only slightly less loud so could this be a recent AC build issue?

To be fair, my Leaf AC is pretty darn loud, too.

The things we never heard when we drive a gasser...

(I could care less, though. Cold air rocketing out my vent within 20 seconds even if it's 90+ degrees outside--I just consider it extra high powered).

This afternoon dropping off my son at Stanford, a guy walks up to me and is asking how I like the car..the guy was on the team that programmed the FWD sensors..wow..meeting someone who actually worked on programming the car..the guy walks around the car and notices my license plate ..and he recognizes me from this forum..wow..just made my day :)