Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if reading your stories encourages or discourages me from buying a MX. .
@Ormond - when that question is posed to me...my answer is it has blown my expectations but it's a complex vehicle and not for everyone. There's a bit of learning (or I would say de-learning your past habits) and adjustments that are needed to enjoy the vehicle. For example, now that I am more used to the vehicle I really enjoy the self presenting door, I know how far away I should stand for the FWD to open, or like my passenger window for some reason lost its setting today for the first time and didn't close properly I knew where to go on this forum and look up how to reset the window.

I drove my wife and her 3 girlfriends to a restaurant last Friday night. A few launch modes were requested on the drive there. The restaurant is on the corner of a high traffic (both cars and pedestrians) road and she wanted me to discreetly go around the corner where the restaurant was located (we both don't like a lot of attention).

There just happened to be a vacant spot right in front of the restaurant, so I pulled into it and opened both fwd doors :cool:. Everyone walking on the street and everyone in the restaurant immediately looked over. A woman with her son asked politely if it was okay to take photos (I said "yes"). Then she noticed the 17" screen and again asked politely to take another photo of the screen (said "yes" again).

Then I closed all doors and drove away and let my wife deal with all the commotion. It's a wonder that she came home Friday night. :rolleyes:

Here one of the most memorable ones for us.

As it happened, the day after we got our MX, Tessie (April 1), our kids had the science fair at their elementary school. The theme was "Sustainability and our planet earth".
In fact one of the judges was a Tesla corporate guy who brought his S to the event to show it but guess what our Tessie ended up being an impromptu science fair exhibit and needless to say the most popular one. In fact the school office made an announcement on the school PA system about it. Our girls did an admirable job at demoing their beloved Tessie-) to hordes of excited kids and parents.

That is SOOO Palo Alto :)

We have an S not an X, but my son and I were a few cars behind a new-ish looking X90D in the school drop-off line this morning. We were slightly surprised to see the driver pull away from the curb with the right FWD still closing...we'd never seen anybody do that before.

Bruce.

Reactions: Fiddler
We have an S not an X, but my son and I were a few cars behind a new-ish looking X90D in the school drop-off line this morning. We were slightly surprised to see the driver pull away from the curb with the right FWD still closing...we'd never seen anybody do that before.

Bruce.
It's called a falcon-wing-drive-by. Yes, I just made that up.

Bruce.
I remember seeing videos of that last September at the X event when they were doing test rides. Obviously others have found out the hard way that this is possible when performing the maneuver in their garages.

I remember seeing videos of that last September at the X event when they were doing test rides. Obviously others have found out the hard way that this is possible when performing the maneuver in their garages.

I almost found this out for myself this morning- feel like an idiot, but fortunately there is a big red warning on the dash when you put the car in drive with a FaW door open.

I drove my wife and her 3 girlfriends to a restaurant last Friday night. A few launch modes were requested on the drive there. The restaurant is on the corner of a high traffic (both cars and pedestrians) road and she wanted me to discreetly go around the corner where the restaurant was located (we both don't like a lot of attention).

There just happened to be a vacant spot right in front of the restaurant, so I pulled into it and opened both fwd doors :cool:. Everyone walking on the street and everyone in the restaurant immediately looked over. A woman with her son asked politely if it was okay to take photos (I said "yes"). Then she noticed the 17" screen and again asked politely to take another photo of the screen (said "yes" again).

Then I closed all doors and drove away and let my wife deal with all the commotion. It's a wonder that she came home Friday night. :rolleyes:
I wonder if she got to eat :p

It's amazing how much attention the car gets.

After parking by their big front window, I walking into a business. There were ~6 (mostly 20 somethings) that worked there gathered at the reception area. One of them said, "We were just admiring your car." I pulled out the fob, said "watch this", and clicked to open both FWDs. Oohs and awes followed and the next few sentences cracked me up:
"It has wings"
"Like a Delorean"
"A what?"
"You know, that car from 'Back To The Future'"
"What's back to the future?"
"Yeah and how could you go back to it? That does make any sense."

Here's a Model X moment via Teslarati
Model-X-panoramic-windshield-yosemite.jpg

Tried buying a Christmas tree at Wal Mart with our X. Parked close to the store... Big mistake. I don't like showing off. Since I had to open both falcon wing doors repeatedly to adjust middle seats forward (six seat non folding config... Curse your stubbornness Elon) I ended up being approached by probably 12 different people. I just wanted to put my tree in and go but guess I'll take one for the team :p