Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was majorly snowed in over in Tahoe City this morning. Shoveling was necessary just to reach the car. Two kids from New Zealand ran over, and asked to help, super excited to see a Model X for the first time. Own a MX and get free shoveling help! :)
Hey, I'm on the other side of the lake from you. Nobody's offering help to me!

The downsides of garages... ;)

I took my MX to a hardware store in Arnold, CA. It is on Hwy 4 at about 4,000 foot elevation in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Most vehicles here are trucks and 4x4 SUV's. Never seen a Tesla there. As I return from the store two guys are standing next to my MX. One well dressed guy who turned out to be a Realtor. The other guys was a total red neck, dirty, worn hat, driving a beater pick up with a gun rack. The red neck says, "I'm taking delivery of my MX next week at the factory." BLEW ME AWAY. At this point he got very excited and started telling the whole story of putting down his deposit and waiting for two years, etc. He had never seen a MX in person so he wanted to check out everything. We were there for an hour. Ya just never know.

On Wednesday, I drove my son to his karate class. First time ever with the Tesla Model X.

We parked in an empty row of parking spots, and I was walking our usual path (may be 10 feet away from the car). My son had not yet exited the car. A car was coming out of that parking zone. I turn back, and the guy stopped when my son walk out of the FWD. It stayed stop untiul the door closed. We were not crossing his path. He could have zipped by and exit the parking area, but he decide to glare into that marvelous articulation of the FWD.

I took my MX to a hardware store in Arnold, CA. It is on Hwy 4 at about 4,000 foot elevation in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Most vehicles here are trucks and 4x4 SUV's. Never seen a Tesla there. As I return from the store two guys are standing next to my MX. One well dressed guy who turned out to be a Realtor. The other guys was a total red neck, dirty, worn hat, driving a beater pick up with a gun rack. The red neck says, "I'm taking delivery of my MX next week at the factory." BLEW ME AWAY. At this point he got very excited and started telling the whole story of putting down his deposit and waiting for two years, etc. He had never seen a MX in person so he wanted to check out everything. We were there for an hour. Ya just never know.
That is one of the Duck Dynasty brothers

In October, just a couple weeks after taking delivery of my Model X, I decided to bring her to my local Coffee & Cars event instead of my NSX because I had not yet seen a Model X at it. The event attracts a wide range of vehicles from classics to current exotics, but tends to be dominated by Porsches and American muscle. That said, I met a Tesla owner at our local event in 2011 (the first owner I had ever talked to) and he gave me my first ride in a Tesla (Roadster of course) He would regularly bring his Roadster (and eventually his wife's Model S) to our event and he enjoyed talking up the virtues of EVs and solar power. I hadn't seen him or any Tesla at our event for the past few years, so I felt I had to bring my MX.

My routine at our local C&C usually meant parking the NSX, walking around the lot to look for and photograph cars that didn't normally come to the show, hang out with fellow NSX owners (there are a few, but only I bring mine regularly), and occasionally answer questions from fans of the car (usually Honda owners or fanboys). But, with MX, I never got far from the car. As soon as I opened the Falcon Wing Doors, people started coming over to check it out, super curious to look inside. Many were surprised to learn I was the owner (even though it was October, a lot of people had never seen Model X and just assumed this was the new Tesla everyone had put reservations on). For some reason it was easier for them to think of me as a dealer than an owner.

002_5DII_54459-X3.jpg

I think I was most surprised by the range of people that were excited. Very young and very old. The older folk were looking forward to driving a quiet car (and here I thought the petrolheads in attendance would be complaining about the lack of low grumble of large displacement ICE). Kids and younger adults all seem to consider this (or any Tesla) their dream car. Mothers / families were excited about it being an electric SUV with three row of seats (well, I overheard more than one mother say "when did Tesla build a minivan?"). Everyone wanted me to open and close the doors. As I did so, even more would come over. I let people sit in it and made sure they looked up when in the driver's or passenger seat. There were a few who thought he car didn't look great when they saw the unveiling, but mentioned how nice the car looks in person.

003_S7_20161105_075615-X3.jpg

This whole cycle repeated in November and, to a lesser degree, in December.

I had planned on driving my NSX to tomorrow morning's C&C, but, since my car has a coolant leak that I haven't had a chance to get serviced, I will drive the X again...assuming it does not rain. That said, my X really needs a bath....haven't had a chance to wash her since last week's road trip to the Bay Area (and she's been rained on a few times since her last bath).

If I go, do I dare access the Holiday Easter Egg?

Last edited:
View attachment 209446 I posted this pic earlier under road trips..this is at the Butterfly Beach in Montecito/santa barbara. A pretty well dressed matured lady was looking at the car and finally asks is this a German car? When I told her it was made in California her eyes and mouth just went wide open.

Wow what a beautiful backdrop. The car obstructing the view ain't bad either! :D

After taking delivery of my red 60D, I picked up some friends and we went to our favorite restaurant to celebrate. As we entered the restaurant, the young man at host station wanted to know what kind of car that was because he had never seen doors like that. He was very interested. As I had been an owner for all of 90 minutes, it was nice feedback.

A second food related story. I went through a drive through (to get gift card, no food in the new X) and kid at the windows looked out and said "you have a huge screen in your car!" Yes I do.

I wonder where he is going to put the gun rack in the X...

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Heavenly reported 30" on 1/5/17, so it must have been heavy duty driving outta there.
50 had chain controls on Thurs AM at first at Kyburz and then at 11 they moved it up the hill to Twin Bridges, by the time I left S@T at 3pm they were down over the summit. Just a couple of patches of snow here and there. S@T had a late start Thursday because they had to dig the lifts out. Some chairs did not open until about 9:30 or more.