Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I left the coffeeshop and walked toward my vehicle. A homeless vagrant caught sight of me and walked my way.

"Sir?" he yelled, "Excuse me, Sir!" as he continued toward me.

I finally reached my driver-side door - alas! - my hands were full, holding a cappuccino and a bag of coffee beans. Luckily auto-present opened the door in stride. I ducked in and hit the brake pedal, slamming the door shut. He walked on as I peeled out. Saved by auto-present!

This morning I left the coffeeshop and walked toward my vehicle. A homeless vagrant caught sight of me and walked my way.

"Sir?" he yelled, "Excuse me, Sir!" as he continued toward me.

I finally reached my driver-side door - alas! - my hands were full, holding a cappuccino and a bag of coffee beans. Luckily auto-present opened the door in stride. I ducked in and hit the brake pedal, slamming the door shut. He walked on as I peeled out. Saved by auto-present!
I'm sure he was just interested by the car.
Sometimes waiting for a light to go green, I notice a car making the turn and I am thinking what a cool car..oh wait..that's a Model X..that's what I am driving..cool :cool:

Haha I do the same thing!

Driving thru security this morning and instead of lifting the gate for me, he stepped out. I rolled down the window to say "mason its me', to which he replied 'I know, I just wanted a closer look'. So he circles the X just nodding his head and grinning. As he approaches the driver window from the rear, he stops while peering in, "hey there's a camera here, look, it's a camera, I gotta smile for the camera". He waives to the other guard, "Willie come here, this car has a camera". So two grown men are slinking around looking for cameras, making goofy faces and a horn toots from behind. I lean out the window, "mason please let me pass thru before we piss off neighborZ" and he replies, "I never liked neighborZ anyway, he can wait." In the rear view mirror I see neighborZ get out of his car and I hear "is there a problem mason? No, did you know that this car whip your pokey Maserati butt and also takes pictures of your face when it does." Mason howls and willie does some approving hand maneuvers and releases the gate. And OMG I'm outta there.

Driving thru security this morning and instead of lifting the gate for me, he stepped out. I rolled down the window to say "mason its me', to which he replied 'I know, I just wanted a closer look'. So he circles the X just nodding his head and grinning. As he approaches the driver window from the rear, he stops while peering in, "hey there's a camera here, look, it's a camera, I gotta smile for the camera". He waives to the other guard, "Willie come here, this car has a camera". So two grown men are slinking around looking for cameras, making goofy faces and a horn toots from behind. I lean out the window, "mason please let me pass thru before we piss off neighborZ" and he replies, "I never liked neighborZ anyway, he can wait." In the rear view mirror I see neighborZ get out of his car and I hear "is there a problem mason? No, did you know that this car whip your pokey Maserati butt and also takes pictures of your face when it does." Mason howls and willie does some approving hand maneuvers and releases the gate. And OMG I'm outta there.

The neighboring community from mine where my close friend lives makes a copy of my ID each and every time I go through.

Not actually a Model X moment, but haven't seen new posts recently so...

Japanese discount store chain Don Quixote wraps Model X in strange color...
驚安の殿堂 ドン・キホーテ on Twitter
IMG_20170610_225532.jpg

OK, I'll bite with a small one. I was at a summer camp thing picking up my niece, and had no idea where I was supposed to park or even look for her, so I was driving around nice and slow trying to look into the lobby of what I presumed was the main building. I glanced forward, and noticed I was about to hit a pedestrian! Whoops! He barely noticed me, and then started to cross the street -- right in front of where I decided I'd better park in order to get out and ask where to go. He looked like he wanted to talk (presumably to chide me for my inattention - which I would have deserved). So I rolled down my window, and to my relief his first words were "Sorry! I didn't even hear you! Ooh, the SUV one! I haven't seen one of these personally yet, but I want one. Do you mind if I look in?" He only looked for a few seconds - not even long enough for me to apologize to him. I felt bad, but was glad he wasn't mad.

Delivery on Saturday, hoping to have a few moments of my own!

Also, you'd think there would be more Model X moments than Model S moments...

Oh well

Congrats on your new ride!

As for the Model X moments, I didn't think we were still regularly posting here.

I've had X moments on average twice a week since December :) Almost always Tesla Time is prompted by the glorious FWDs. Also, I've noticed that X moments are less likely to happen at hoity-toity places. So YMMV depending on where you're likely to frequent.

A couple of times at red lights I've been asked by the car next to me where the door handles are, which led to 30 second pre-primers on Tesla, EVs, and renewable energy.

A few times the FWDs have drawn small crowds of passers-by in parking lots. Some folks would just oooooh and aaaaah over the FWDs, then they'd see the ultra-white vegan interiors, and then would continue to lose it when they'd see the huge iPad up front. Basically my own reaction the very first time I saw an X in person. It's gotten so regular, that now my wife will take the kiddos with the stroller and go shopping, knowing I'd be several minutes (half hour) behind her, as I love talking Tesla, renewable energy, etc.

I've had a group of Vietnam War vets look inside and under the X, in utter disbelief there was no engine- and boy did they flip when I opened the charge port for them. I even gave those fells a ride, and their reaction was priceless when I floored it. Mind you, I don't even have the performance model.

We've had random folks do slow drive-bys whenever we're sitting at certain superchargers. If I'm outside the X playing with the kids, they'll actually park and walk over to chat- again, Tesla time :D

Of course, it never gets old when little ones ask whether the car can fly when the FWDs are outstretched, to which I usually say something like "anyday now" :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Pollux and hiroshiy
I've had innumerable Model X moments on my current road trip towing an Airstream. Mostly they take the form of "it's powerful enough to tow?" There are plenty of variations, though. One of my favorites to date was in Banff National Park when a man walked up and said, "I'm a mechanic by trade. I don't know what this car is, but I know it's not a normal car. Can you tell me about it?"

We have been driving the car to our golf club since May. Really a few comments, but not many. We were loading up to head home on Father's Day weekend when a boy about 12 came dragging his father over to see the car. The boy knew all about it and was explaining all the cool features to his dad. I believe Tesla has done with cars what Apple did for PC, indoctrinate the young and upcoming consumers toward their product.

I believe Tesla has done with cars what Apple did for PC, indoctrinate the young and upcoming consumers toward their product.

Totally this.

The last time I was at the service center, I was told that local schools do field trips to the service center to learn about EVs. Teachers use the cool factor of Tesla to create interest in renewable clean energy, recycling, etc. Thought that was pretty cool.

We have been driving the car to our golf club since May. Really a few comments, but not many. We were loading up to head home on Father's Day weekend when a boy about 12 came dragging his father over to see the car. The boy knew all about it and was explaining all the cool features to his dad. I believe Tesla has done with cars what Apple did for PC, indoctrinate the young and upcoming consumers toward their product.
I too have noticed this. It's young kids (even as young as 10-12 years old) and teenagers that seem to notice the X more so than adults. Even my friend's teenage daughter got really excited when over the vehicle. This surprised me very much. Sounds like a good thing to excite your new customer base.

Totally this.

The last time I was at the service center, I was told that local schools do field trips to the service center to learn about EVs. Teachers use the cool factor of Tesla to create interest in renewable clean energy, recycling, etc. Thought that was pretty cool.
Definitely. My dad is a counselor type of thing for a youth group, and he asked me to come one night and talk to them about similar topics (I also have solar on my roof), then we went for rides in the X. There was a ~10 year old girl that snuck back in for additional trips. She absolutely loved it! I'd say she was giggling like a teenage girl... except that that's exactly what she was.

We had our neighborhood party last weekend. All the neighbors come over to the cul de sac and we have a big potluck. Do this twice a year. Anyway, although nearly everybody knows the car (we live right between Tesla headquarters and the Tesla factory and I probably see at least 5 Teslas just driving to work for a couple of miles), I still had to give a couple of "test drives". One neighbor sat with his 5 year old son in the back. After the ride, he runs to his moms, yelling "Mom, I sat in the Batmobile!!":)

I've had innumerable Model X moments on my current road trip towing an Airstream. Mostly they take the form of "it's powerful enough to tow?" There are plenty of variations, though. One of my favorites to date was in Banff National Park when a man walked up and said, "I'm a mechanic by trade. I don't know what this car is, but I know it's not a normal car. Can you tell me about it?"
So what was his reaction after you explained what that car was?

Reactions: dragonxt