Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X New Wheel Option - 20" Sonic Carbon -$3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this change on both Model S and Model X, there is not a single "linear" (as opposed to curved/twisted) wheel design available for them on Design Studio. All wheels are variations of the same designs or even the exact same designs in part (despite different names), the Turbine/Cylone/Slipstream with archs that are twisted.

Model S has the Arachnid's and you can still get the Model X's Helix from Tesla Gear/Shop of course, but for those of us with preferences towards those kinds of shapes the options are getting worse on the Design Studio, not better. It might not bode well for Arachnid/Helix availability long term, either.

A bit more variety on the Design Studio for wheels would be nice IMO, but Tesla is going for streamlining their options more and more.

Last edited:
I've already posted photos in other threads, but here it is again.
But @NikeWings is right, it's all personal preference. Do want you think looks best.

Thanks for the photos. Looks great. Confirms my choice. I'll go that way if I'm able to make the change. My DS replied to my email (great folks at the Montreal SC). He's looking into whether or not my order can be changed at this stage.

My DS informed me that my change request was confirmed by the production team. This means I'll be upgraded from the stock wheels to the Sonic Carbon ones, and that I'll get the charger upgrade included. Really happy about that. Great service from my DS.

I really wanted dark wheels but not the range loss. I know some folks will say the $3000 is high for just the color but the way I look at it, it is almost half of what the dark 22s would have cost me, without the autonomy hit. Best choice IMOHO.

My DS informed me that my change request was confirmed by the production team. This means I'll be upgraded from the stock wheels to the Sonic Carbon ones, and that I'll get the charger upgrade included. Really happy about that. Great service from my DS.

I really wanted dark wheels but not the range loss. I know some folks will say the $3000 is high for just the color but the way I look at it, it is almost half of what the dark 22s would have cost me, without the autonomy hit. Best choice IMOHO.
Glad it worked out for you, it'll be a great look, now hurry up and wait, right! :rolleyes:

Interesting how any talk of having to cancel and re-order to apply a new price-list has gone out the window at Tesla when there is no pressing need anymore. They just apply the new price-list's features to new orders without blinking an eye...

Which is good, don't get be wrong. But it just shows that the Q1 free Supercharging vs. 100D debacle was also about protecting Q1 deliveries as they knew they could not get 100D deliveries up to speed as fast, so they wanted to keep the pressure on people to keep their old orders.

Now, lacking such pressure, changing existing orders to new price-list features is suddenly a-okay.

Off topic: Here's a $1,000.00 savings alternative.

signature-red-tesla-model-x-20-inch-wheel-tst-metallic-grey-4.jpg solid-white-tesla-model-x-20-inch-wheel-tst-metallic-grey-7.jpg solid-black-tesla-model-x-20-inch-wheel-tst-metallic-grey-4.jpg midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-x-20-inch-wheel-tst-metallic-grey-2.jpg silver-metallic-tesla-model-x-20-inch-wheel-tst-metallic-grey-8.jpg deep-blue-metallic-model-x-20-inch-metallic-grey-turbine-tst-wheel-1.jpg

Reactions: mal_tsla
$3,000 is absurd. Any good wheel repair shop will repaint them for $125 or less. I paid $150 to have substantial curb rash repaired and the wheel refinished, so simply repainting would have to be a lot less - therefore $500, at most, certainly not $3,000.

$3,000 is absurd. Any good wheel repair shop will repaint them for $125 or less. I paid $150 to have substantial curb rash repaired and the wheel refinished, so simply repainting would have to be a lot less - therefore $500, at most, certainly not $3,000.
Yep, Get them powered coated any color of your choice for a fraction of the cost.

Costs around $250/wheel around where I'm at, but still, $1k is much cheaper than $3k. That pricing doesn't make any sense, though PUP doesn't make much sense either. There's still going to be many people who want it regardless for OEM quality/assurance.

I checked with my local SC and they have no info on color code for these wheels (and the wheels aren't even in their system yet). But a quick google search shows that the name of the color for the Model S 21" Grey Turbine wheels is also "Sonic Carbon" so there's a good chance it's the same color. Any HTML experts here able to look at the code for the website design studio and see if there are any similarities between the Model X 20" Sonic Carbon wheels and the Model S 21" Grey Turbine wheels?

Pulled the trigger. My wheel guy got a can of genuine Tesla Sonic Carbon paint and sanded and repainted my 20" silver slipstreams. Voila! Now I have 20" Sonic Carbon wheels. $600 (plus $30 for new dark center caps and lugnut covers) instead of $3000.

Could you share some pictures from outside, in daylight? Considering doing the same as you did. Thanks!