Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X New Wheel Option - 20" Sonic Carbon -$3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Looks like Helix is gone and replaced with a 20" Sonic Carbon option. Looks great, but pricey for just a different color.

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 11.58.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 11.58.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 11.58.47 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I quite like 'em. Emailed my DS to ask about having them switched to for my current X order not yet in prod. Only hesitation is body color is Midnight Silver. Do folks think it'll look good?

Not worth the $3000 in my opinion,

Also I think the Standard wheels would look better than the Sonic on Midnight silver. It'd look too uniform, not enough contrast.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
unless the wheels are made of carbon fiber why would ANYONE pay $3000 for a simply different color on a wheel? I understand the desire to profit when possible on a change but this is just an completely unrealistic price to ask for what they are providing unless there is something VERY special about this finish. Unlike many options where the price might be inflated but ordering from Tesla is the only source (third row seats on the Model S come to mind) or the cost to replace something with the new "desired" option (for example adding OEM obeche to a car that comes without that option from the factory) this is something literally thousands of aftermarket places can do for a fraction of the price. Anyone think I am overlooking something here? I just can't get my logical side to understand why they would ask such an insane price for something that costs them likely zero dollars vs. the silver.

unless the wheels are made of carbon fiber why would ANYONE pay $3000 for a simply different color on a wheel? I understand the desire to profit when possible on a change but this is just an completely unrealistic price to ask for what they are providing unless there is something VERY special about this finish. Unlike many options where the price might be inflated but ordering from Tesla is the only source (third row seats on the Model S come to mind) or the cost to replace something with the new "desired" option (for example adding OEM obeche to a car that comes without that option from the factory) this is something literally thousands of aftermarket places can do for a fraction of the price. Anyone think I am overlooking something here? I just can't get my logical side to understand why they would ask such an insane price for something that costs them likely zero dollars vs. the silver.

You didn't get your T-bong at delivery? Better ask your DS!

Yes, there are a lot of things I'd rather spend 3K on. I think this is just for those people that want to max out their car on delivery but max out the range as well.

I see what you mean though there are plenty of dark cars with dark wheels though. Lots of black obsidian Model X with the black onyx 22s or black obsidian Model S with the grey 21s.

I have a black on black X and love it. And I think your monochromatic design would also be a looker. I've seen the @vandacca look, and it gorgeous. Buy what pleases you, and you'll enjoy it more. ;)