Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X not charging for long time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some trip coming international for 6 months!
I wonder what should I do with Tesla Model X and charging. Should I leave it fully charged? Should I leave it empty?

Any idea?
Should I postpone my Tesla Model X delivery for after trip?
Same advice since Roadster days... The Roadster had something called Storage mode.

The S folks adjusted to something similar by putting the car at 50%. I would suggest doing the same thing with your X.

Leave either car plugged in to a 240V source at all times. The car will lose capacity due to vampire drain every day, when it hits the 50% it will maintain it at that.

With the S and X, you have the benefit of built in telematics, with Roadsters we added OVMS to do that. So, check on the car every few days. Make sure you have somebody you trust that can check in on your car/house, etc. to re-seat the cable if you need that done (in case of anything, power outage, whatever.)

If in your shoes I would simply postpone the delivery till after the trip for a multitude of reasons including depreciation and potential new tech and features by 2017. What is the point of leaving a brand new car in the garage for 6 months.

I have some trip coming international for 6 months!
I wonder what should I do with Tesla Model X and charging. Should I leave it fully charged? Should I leave it empty?

Any idea?
Should I postpone my Tesla Model X delivery for after trip?

The car would be fine sitting for 6 months at 50% plugged in, I'm sure (though the tires might develop a flat spot...)

Having said that, I think I agree with Infinite. It sounds like you won't have a lot of chance to benefit from the car this year, and I'm sure the 2017 will be a better car with new features that aren't available now.

The car would be fine sitting for 6 months at 50% plugged in, I'm sure (though the tires might develop a flat spot...)
Could use summon over the phone app to move the X a few feet to change position for a bit and then move back, though not if it is plugged in to charge. Maybe a future update would allow a long term storage mode where the car is plugged in but moves a few inches back and forth to preserve the tires. Just imagine the Model X survives the Zombie Apocalypse which has killed off all sentient human life but the tires will still be in decent shape. Assuming the power doesn't go out completely of course.

This question comes up over and over again. Just plug it in and let the battery management system manage the battery. The manual says this twice, in bold print. Setting the charge about 50% would be ideal, but it doesn't matter much what charge you set it at as long as it's not 100%.

"Remember, a connected Model S is a happy Model S," and now that applies to the Model X too.

If Tesla still put those cards in the cars it would save a lot of questions.