Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Raven noise that all potential buyer should know about before buying it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model X P100D Raven version around July 2019. Ever since I got the car, it have been to the service center for over 6 times. It had issue with regard to fits and finish to drive train noise. The fits and finish I was mentally prepared for, and did not care much, as the body shop was able to minimize the issue (not completely make it flush perfect like other car maker).

The Main issue that is still driving me crazy is the new drive train nose. I am not talking about the louder motor noise the new raven model is making (been discussed in other forms). I am talking about the pattern whooshing noise. As I drive my car around 25 to 35 MPH, it will make this whoosh whoosh whoosh pattern noise, it sounds like the shaft is bend and is rubbing against the bearing. The noise is especially clear over smooth road as less road noise mean less road noise masking the whooshing sound. Sometimes if I drive on a very smooth highway road up to 65mph, I can still hear it, just in faster pattern. It is not a hummm, like an electric motor, it is a clear pattern sound that sounds like something is wrong with your car.

Fast forward, after 6 visits to 2 different service centers, it was concluded that this noise is normal, apparently all raven model drive train have this sound.

Below is a direct quote from the service center technician note.

noise.JPG

It was also noted to me that some raven model have more noticeable noise than other. This noise make me wish i got the Pre-Raven P100D model X. Those are some really quiet car compare to the new raven model.

I feel the Tesla test drive experience these days are not completely truthful, as they use older model to represent their vehicle which I believe have different experience from their newer model.

If your in the market for a new Tesla Raven version, please read the information above and do your own research before making your choice.

Do any other raven owner out there have the same experience? If you do, did you resolve your issue? Please share, I really want to get rid of this noise.

I just ordered a Raven X Performance and I hope that what you are getting from Tesla about it being the norm is not correct but I will post when I get mine and test it out. If it does make that noise I won't be happy.

Either way, I am not sure I agree with the comment on the service ticket "customer education". This should be "technician education" as he didn't know about it either, which is another reason the sound/noise being normal is suspicious to me.

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
My new Raven has less motor noise than my previous 17 X.

Adaptive suspension provides a much quieter ride, with most all the higher frequencies filtered out.

Electric motors do, however make some soft noise when in operation. X has two of them. I can hear them operate, but sound is certainly not objectionable to me. I also hear some tire noise, and wind noise as speed increases.

My current X is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned...but not totally silient.

My new Raven has less motor noise than my previous 17 X.

Adaptive suspension provides a much quieter ride, with most all the higher frequencies filtered out.

Electric motors do, however make some soft noise when in operation. X has two of them. I can hear them operate, but sound is certainly not objectionable to me. I also hear some tire noise, and wind noise as speed increases.

My current X is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned...but not totally silient.

Totally understand the vehicle is not suppose to be full silent. I expected motor to make some kind of noise. However, the noise is so bad that you can record it on a cheap phone mic. As from technician note, he was able to record the sound as well. It is not a normal motor noise, it is a whooshing noise, think of a windmill sound every time a blade passes you. Keep repeating the windmill blade passing you. It is that noise, as faster you drive it repeat faster.

I have a 2019 Raven Performance Model X and I can assure that it is one quiet car. You can hear the soft hum of the motors but definitely no whooshing noise as you describe. No panel gap issues either. I’ve driven both previous versions of Model X and S and the Raven is definitely smoother and quieter.

I don’t like going back to driving ICE vehicles.

Since they say it’s normal, I would ask to test drive a new Raven Model X for comparison. I bet you won’t hear the same noise.

They said its a Performance version. Just got off the phone with Tesla service, and they seems to be stumble by it as well. They don't know what to do because if Tesla engineer (not technician) say its normal to have that wooshing noise, then there are nothing they can do about. They are looking in to buying my vehicle back as an option which I am sure will not be a good deal for me.

I think we should all come together and share subject, the more people see this the more chance we can encounter people who actually have this issue and have solution for those who have the same issue.

Reactions: Mil72-Frenchy
I inquiry with Tesla service about riding a new Model X P, service is finding out if I can ride with a delivery to try to hear a brand new model x P, and prove it, it make the same noise. They are saying it is likely not aloud to do so which I can understand. They say the one they compare my to is a brand new Model X P raven, which according to them, makes the same noise.

Interesting your use of the word ‘pattern’ to describe the sound. A Tesla has two drivetrains ... one for the front and a second for the rear. Each drivetrain will produce a characteristic sound specific to that drivetrain. If the two drivetrains produce frequencies that are slightly different our ears perceive that as a ‘beat’ frequency:

Beat Frequencies

No idea what frequencies are produced by Tesla drivetrains, but some people are very susceptible to beat frequencies … myself included … and maybe you!

Reactions: mswlogo
I got my Model X P100D Raven version around July 2019. Ever since I got the car, it have been to the service center for over 6 times. It had issue with regard to fits and finish to drive train noise. The fits and finish I was mentally prepared for, and did not care much, as the body shop was able to minimize the issue (not completely make it flush perfect like other car maker).

The Main issue that is still driving me crazy is the new drive train nose. I am not talking about the louder motor noise the new raven model is making (been discussed in other forms). I am talking about the pattern whooshing noise. As I drive my car around 25 to 35 MPH, it will make this whoosh whoosh whoosh pattern noise, it sounds like the shaft is bend and is rubbing against the bearing. The noise is especially clear over smooth road as less road noise mean less road noise masking the whooshing sound. Sometimes if I drive on a very smooth highway road up to 65mph, I can still hear it, just in faster pattern. It is not a hummm, like an electric motor, it is a clear pattern sound that sounds like something is wrong with your car.

Fast forward, after 6 visits to 2 different service centers, it was concluded that this noise is normal, apparently all raven model drive train have this sound.

View attachment 466332

It was also noted to me that some raven model have more noticeable noise than other. This noise make me wish i got the Pre-Raven P100D model X. Those are some really quiet car compare to the new raven model.

I feel the Tesla test drive experience these days are not completely truthful, as they use older model to represent their vehicle which I believe have different experience from their newer model.

If your in the market for a new Tesla Raven version, please read the information above and do your own research before making your choice.

Do any other raven owner out there have the same experience? If you do, did you resolve your issue? Please share, I really want to get rid of this noise.
I

View attachment 466332

I took delivery of my Tesla Model X Dual Motor and can tell you there is no noise that can be heard as you have described. I do need to take it in for some fit and finish issues (back seats at bottom not clipped correctly) bumper and other small issues. This is my second Tesla and I love it. I do think Tesla needs to do a bit better job on quality control before leaving the factory or during delivery and I hope you get to the bottom of your whoosing issue.

Totally understand the vehicle is not suppose to be full silent. I expected motor to make some kind of noise. However, the noise is so bad that you can record it on a cheap phone mic. As from technician note, he was able to record the sound as well. It is not a normal motor noise, it is a whooshing noise, think of a windmill sound every time a blade passes you. Keep repeating the windmill blade passing you. It is that noise, as faster you drive it repeat faster.

Can you post a video of the noise?

Here is a update! I took my MXP100D to another service center in NY Long Island because both of my door won't open due to sensor fail. This was the service center first told me everything was normal, however I the tech who first notice my noise and say its within normal range of operation noise did take a second look. This time side by side compare with another brand new MXP100D. Today I called in, and they are opening a case with Tesla engineer stating it have excessive noise. They are now waiting for reply from case ticket from Tesla engineer. My NY Brooklyn service center never got back to me with a solution. They try to brush this off like it never happened. No one ever reach back to me from Brooklyn even though they gave me some really bad options they are inquiry like trading in my New MXP100D raven for another one at used price. Any how Brooklyn never got back to me about that inquiry, but I rather them fixing it than shaft me with a bad trade. I can try to dig my phone to see if I can find the recording, and post it. Fair warning those who can hear it, can not unhear it.

I just ordered a Raven X Performance and I hope that what you are getting from Tesla about it being the norm is not correct but I will post when I get mine and test it out. If it does make that noise I won't be happy.

Either way, I am not sure I agree with the comment on the service ticket "customer education". This should be "technician education" as he didn't know about it either, which is another reason the sound/noise being normal is suspicious to me.
Did you new MXP100D raven came in? dose it have that noise I mention?

Did you new MXP100D raven came in? dose it have that noise I mention?

can you please post the noise? Is that possible? I have a 2017 MX P100D and have decided that my next vehicle will probably be another MX. I am very curious about your issue, as I experienced some weird issues with my previous MX 90D, which I eventually traded in to purchase my P100D a while back.