TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vendor Tesla Model X tire service jack pad adapter

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Murphy’s Law, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Murphy’s Law

#1 Murphy’s Law, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    09C352D1-BAA1-455A-993C-4C6F39E1252D.jpeg Here is a item that will pretty much take care of those issues of fear on jacking up your Tesla X.
    I designed and made these initially for my own use as I do tire service on Tesla’s fairly regularly and was always afraid of the battery pack, pack shield and the side skirts.
    After a few dozen prints I found one that works very well.
    They are made from hardened fused abs tops with inlaid magnets to hold them up and hard rubber to give clearance and just enough give to allow the floor jack lift plate to rise up keeping away a chance of slippage on a unlevel surface.
    Let me know do you have any questions.
    Tesla Model X Jack Pad Lift Point Adapter Pad For Tire Service Tire Change Tool | eBay

Attached Files:

2. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I was looking for one of these pads not too long ago, and I want to say thank you for going out and getting these made. With that said, I think I have some feedback as to what could be modified to make an even better product.

1) Based on your photo, the hard rubber compresses a lot. It almost looks like a sponge with how much it flexes. This makes me wonder about the weight distribution across the hard ABS plastic. Especially in the first two pictures as it seems the weight isn't distributed to the corners as it may not be in contact anymore. I would suggest increasing the thickness and the harness of the rubber material to better distribute the weight.

2) In the bottom pad material, place some grooves for the jack. If you're using a thick enough and hard enough compound, this shouldn't affect the pad itself but that would allow it to "lock" into various jack's to prevent movement or misalignment with the jack's themselves. This would also help with weight distribution.

3. Murphy’s Law

I appreciate your insight, the rubber density was chosen to allow it to do just as it shows a to allow a “squish”into the rubber ineffect a grove as you described to keep from slippage which a thicker or harder material would do the opposite for. The top abs material is fairly thick and I have had no issues with shock to it as the rubber bottom absorbs this.
    I designed, build and test these all myself. The materials used play into many factors from heights and clearance to a specific density to allow that grove squish factor to magnetic stacking and placement to allow a better hold when put into place.

I am about to try a single piece of rubber to see if it allows the same squish groove factor which would allow for less pieces and oddly it’s cheaper in material cost.

4. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Just saw this, missed the sale. Any coupons or sale coming soon?

5. Toddl

Toddl Member

I was also waiting for the price to come done. I have just used pads on my jack and didn't worry about locking into those wholes

• Like x 1
  6. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Got one delivered the other day. Looks like a solid piece if I ever need to get the S jacked up

• Like x 1
  7. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

8. TexasTeslaRacing

Are the jack pads the same dimensions for Model S and X?

9. Murphy’s Law

I wish Tesla would have made the factory lift spot the same but no sir they are different. I tried for weeks to get it to work with both but there is just enough difference in hole depth and even a slight angle on the X that I couldn’t make it work for both.

10. Murphy’s Law

Let me rephrase that answer, the factory lift spot is identical except for the bolt hole depths and a slight angle difference. My jack pads are different only to accommodate those slight differences and they will not work on the other due to this.

• Like x 1
  11. TexasTeslaRacing

Thank you for the info. Which has longer hole depths? The S or X?

12. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I don't see how the hole depths is a problem? Just ensure that it fits the smaller hole depth and you're fine. I found that my custom built jack pad works for both S and X.

And with regards to the magnet, I'm not sure if the jacking location is steel or aluminum. If it's aluminum, then magnets won't help.

13. Murphy’s Law

I want to thank everyone that has purchased my product this year and wish everyone a prosperous new year.
    Never settle
    Always strive to be a better person
    Make time for those that you love

14. BuildingCap

BuildingCap If you build it, they will come.

Just wanted to add my unprompted review: I purchased this for a road trip last month and @Murphy’s Law went the extra mile to get it to me in time. Am I ever glad they did. I ended up having to use it 3 times in less than month, and each garage was impressed with it. Never know when you might need this bit of kit, and I was really glad I had it when I did. Excellent product and service from well-named business!

15. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

These pads are awesome. It makes changing out wheels/tires almost a luxurious experience! Thanks @Murphy’s Law!

16. hly

hly Member

is the flash sale still on? It shows $45 + $6 shipping on eBay

17. Murphy’s Law

18. Murphy’s Law

A few eBay reviews A49BACF7-55A5-439A-B2E3-47A0A0B06C14.jpeg 1D143C92-EDDE-4A92-B8ED-AA51E717ACD2.jpeg

19. wildag

wildag Member

Bought these for S and X. Can confirm they work well. You’ll want a jack with a flat pad (no teeth).

Be sure to remove the jack adapter before you drive away! The adapter has a magnet that keeps it loosely attached to the vehicle when the jack is lowered.

• Like x 2
  20. Murphy’s Law