Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was not aware of the Amazon ones, so I took a peek.

1. The Amazon ones are single magnet devices, so you would have to get three per each lift point, or a total of 12 of them. The Murphy's Law ones cover the three magnet holes, so you need a total of 4. Less items to keep track of.
2. Murphy's are a bright red in color, you won't lose these and the techs can see them easily in the drivers seat of your car... and encourage them to use them. I leave them in the trunk and they won't get missed.
3. Murphy's offer replacements if they get damaged. I had one torn up by the tire place and he replaced it graciously.

So I think the Murphy's pads are worth it.

Mike P

Took a picture from Amazon, it shows 1 on a lift point. so why would you suggest 3 on each lift point?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was not aware of the Amazon ones, so I took a peek.

1. The Amazon ones are single magnet devices, so you would have to get three per each lift point, or a total of 12 of them. The Murphy's Law ones cover the three magnet holes, so you need a total of 4. Less items to keep track of.
2. Murphy's are a bright red in color, you won't lose these and the techs can see them easily in the drivers seat of your car... and encourage them to use them. I leave them in the trunk and they won't get missed.
3. Murphy's offer replacements if they get damaged. I had one torn up by the tire place and he replaced it graciously.

So I think the Murphy's pads are worth it.

Mike P

Attachments

• 253FAEB2-B971-46D8-90A7-E091BD722943.jpeg
    253FAEB2-B971-46D8-90A7-E091BD722943.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Funny
Reactions: spoon
Ok, great, thanks. You made me crawl under my car to look where the pads go.

I guess that is you are using a single point lift system, then you could use the ones from Amazon.

But many of the commercial tire places (and Tesla) use an 4 point or wider lift system like this:
maxjax-2-post-portable-car-lift-1.jpg

I am NOT AN EXPERT, I am a model X owner, I don't do tires (I just pay for them)..... but if your favorite auto place uses these 4 point lifts, then it seems to me that a wider band to lift the car up would be maybe a little better. See how the battery is rather close to the edge of the car? I think raising it up a little (and providing a wider support) *might* be a little better and provide more safety.

CB34A441-1A05-4905-B953-120D5273F02B_1_105_c.jpeg

7B28941E-4B5E-46B3-BF32-E262853E3F7C_1_105_c.jpeg

That's all.

So I say: get what you want!

Mike P

Reactions: Murphy’s Law
Ok, great, thanks. You made me crawl under my car to look where the pads go.

I guess that is you are using a single point lift system, then you could use the ones from Amazon.

But many of the commercial tire places (and Tesla) use an 4 point or wider lift system like this:

I am NOT AN EXPERT, I am a model X owner, I don't do tires (I just pay for them)..... but if your favorite auto place uses these 4 point lifts, then it seems to me that a wider band to lift the car up would be maybe a little better. See how the battery is rather close to the edge of the car? I think raising it up a little (and providing a wider support) *might* be a little better and provide more safety.

That's all.

So I say: get what you want!

Mike P

The lift you posted (2 post MaxJax) has a circle point of contact with the car. In fact... 99% of all jacks and lifts have a circle point of contact... it's why puck lift pads are so popular and ubiquitous (they cover the maximum surface area of the point of contact of 99% all jacks).

Also you do not need 12 pucks vs 4 of Murphy's Law bars like you mentioned in your earlier post. 4 pucks are the equivalent in function with 4 ML bars. It wouldn't even be possible to use 12 pucks on 1 car.

The pucks from Amazon (and elsewhere) are a more than solid option. They do a suitable job matching the functionality of Murphy's Law bars.

However, here are the reasons to get a Murphy's Law bar instead of a puck:
1) Support small USA-based fellow Tesla enthusiast business
2) Instead of using 1 hole per lift point to secure to car (stays in place with compression/friction), it uses 3 holes per lift point (stays in place with 2 magnets)
3) It covers the entire lift point of the car (but should be noted most all jacks only have a circular puck sized contact with cars)

The lift you posted (2 post MaxJax) has a circle point of contact with the car. In fact... 99% of all jacks and lifts have a circle point of contact... it's why puck lift pads are so popular and ubiquitous (they cover the maximum surface area of the point of contact of 99% all jacks).

Also you do not need 12 pucks vs 4 of Murphy's Law bars like you mentioned in your earlier post. 4 pucks are the equivalent in function with 4 ML bars. It wouldn't even be possible to use 12 pucks on 1 car.

The pucks from Amazon (and elsewhere) are a more than solid option. They do a suitable job matching the functionality of Murphy's Law bars.

However, here are the reasons to get a Murphy's Law bar instead of a puck:
1) Support small USA-based fellow Tesla enthusiast business
2) Instead of using 1 hole per lift point to secure to car (stays in place with compression/friction), it uses 3 holes per lift point (stays in place with 2 magnets)
3) It covers the entire lift point of the car (but should be noted most all jacks only have a circular puck sized contact with cars)

Thanks, infiniteloop. I stand corrected. I think that if I had a point jack like most that you said, I would probably use the small Amazon pucks. I suspect that the point jacks might even dig a hole in the Murphy's pads. I guess for my needs, the Murphy's has worked out well. And I agree, we need to support small USA based businesses.

Mike P

Reactions: infiniteloop
Thank yall for the kind words, i would invite everyone to read the description part of my listings and scroll thru the pictures on all products your thinking about buying and if they dont have real world usage pictures with the tools being used, your own gut will fill in the rest.

I believe i explained in the description part what they were intended to do and what jacks they are intended to be used with.
I myself have had to train my brain to read a products description when im shopping online as ive ordered something and found out it doesnt really work for what i needed it for. So please take a few extra minutes doing this.

Lastly on supporting small business USA thank you for doing this, we small business owners are a dying breed, this pandemic has broght me to my knees on a weekly basis on both my companies. I have already seen 1/3 of my industry in both businesses already go under, not just hurting but done permanently and its not getting any better.

Thank yall for the time reading this and thank you for your business.

Tesla Model X Jack Pad Adapter Lift Pad Tire Service Murphy's Law Jack Pads SALE | eBay

**Must be used with a low profile floor jack with a wide ROUND FLAT saddle plate no smaller than 3.75" in diameter, see pictures for reference.”. **