Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X versus BMW X6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But my kw/h cost is also much higher: 0,23€ (~0,30 $). Off hour price is not considerably less. A Modell S would save me only about half my diesel costs but the sticker price is about 20k € more than my (fully loaded) 320xd. For me, the ROI is negative....

I've just done some quick figures on the back of an envelope, and sure enough if you are charging during the day and paying the very high rate of 0.2E / KwH then the cost per mile of an average EV really is only half that of Diesel car as you say - I didn’t realise they were that close. (I've assumed the 320xd does approx 50mpg, and that an EV does approx 300w/mile.)

It sounds like you have excessive electricity rates though. What does the utility company charge at night time rates ??

Here in UK, my own day rate for grid electricity is approx 14p / KwH, and the nigh time rate (1am to 7am) is 5.9p / KwH. So, for reference and using the same assumptions, an EV charged at night time is still 1/6th the cost of running an efficient Diesel.

And if you compare it to the cost of an average petrol car doing 25mpg then the EV is 1/12 of the cost .

… and having a property with > 3Kwp of PV, and the benefit of feed in tariffs payments, it would mean that running the EV will cost 0.0, or less than zero per mile :smile:

I've just done some quick figures on the back of an envelope, and sure enough if you are charging during the day and paying the very high rate of 0.2E / KwH then the cost per mile of an average EV really is only half that of Diesel car as you say - I didn’t realise they were that close. (I've assumed the 320xd does approx 50mpg, and that an EV does approx 300w/mile.)

It sounds like you have excessive electricity rates though. What does the utility company charge at night time rates ??

Here in UK, my own day rate for grid electricity is approx 14p / KwH, and the nigh time rate (1am to 7am) is 5.9p / KwH. So, for reference and using the same assumptions, an EV charged at night time is still 1/6th the cost of running an efficient Diesel.

And if you compare it to the cost of an average petrol car doing 25mpg then the EV is 1/12 of the cost .

… and having a property with > 3Kwp of PV, and the benefit of feed in tariffs payments, it would mean that running the EV will cost 0.0, or less than zero per mile :smile:

Off peak price is 0.18 € but also comes with higher day time at about 0.25 €. Really not worth it. These are comon kwH prices in Germany. I used the my real data of 6,7 liter/100km at 1,45 € per liter. And calculated 230 wh/ km (370wh/mile) for the Model S (2x 25 km umlimited Autobahn each day ...).

Got a 10kwp solar array too.

But I'm confident to get a Tesla anyway. Depends on how the 3phase charging and Servicing details work out.

Ya but franz doesn't do hard aggressive lines
wheels.480.jpg

I think the X design is a very happy melding of practical and aesthetic considerations. I find most of BMW's recent designs busy or even downright ugly. The Model X and its sister Model S have an elegant minimalism about them. They look like they are friends with the wind and the road, not in-your-face ego statements. To me, a fit analogy is the difference between many Pininfarina-designed Ferrari's versus the angular and self-conscious Lamborghini's. I once read that Enzo Ferrari likened his cars to minks, because he said they were "soft and wild." Is that sexy or what!!

Based on pics alone, I'd say the X6 is more masculine and has more "presence", while the X is more elegant and sleek. As I said before the reveal, from the outline I suspected the X6 and Model X would be somewhat similar, and they sort of are.

If they're going after soccer moms and the minivan crowd, no need to get more aggressive on looks IMO -- though, I wouldn't mind. I still remember that Model S designer mockup that was very aggressive. I liked it mucho.

*edit* here it is -- I suppose this would make a decent Roadster 3.0 or bluestar performance.

View attachment 4323

if the model S looked like this (which i was hoping for) i'd own one already. instead I switched my reservation to the X and im still hoping that will be more aggressive looking like the X6 too

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373912332.804991.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373912372.578458.jpg

The real thing from the Teslive party feels so different from the previous picture. I have a reservation on the x and I was not very content that it does not look SUV enough from the back.

But boy when I get close to it on Saturday night first time in person, I couldn't be more pleased how it actually look! It immediately reminds me the x6, that is how I find this thread afterward.

The MX really got a very attractive rear that I can stare for the whole day! Now I wish the nose can get a lift job! I understand it is good for efficiency, but it just not in the same aesthetic league as other parts of the car!

Last edited: