Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X vs Lexus 450h

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So interesting to hear all the opinions and what is so apparent is that it’s all such a personal preference and opinion. Having just picked up a 2020 MX LR+ in early June, and with less than 500 miles on the odometer, I’m not too qualified to make a long term assessment on it, but coming from an Audi SQ5, I’ve got to say, I’m pleasantly surprised.

Even after reading about the range hit and harsher ride of the 22” wheels, I couldn’t resist the looks of them and honestly, this car rides quieter and smoother than the SQ5 (which did have 21” wheels). Fit and finish of the exterior trim is definitely sub-par on the Tesla in comparison, but I’m somewhat confident some of that can be tweaked to be better (but also disappointing that it’s even an issue on something in this price range).

One of the biggest things that I’m looking forward to though is the software updates- the Audi SQ5, now 6 years old, had software 5 years old already when I got it. It will never be updated and with the rate technology advances, that was something that always frustrated me so the current and future “technology” aspect of the Tesla’s was quite a draw for me.

So interesting to hear all the opinions and what is so apparent is that it’s all such a personal preference and opinion. Having just picked up a 2020 MX LR+ in early June, and with less than 500 miles on the odometer, I’m not too qualified to make a long term assessment on it, but coming from an Audi SQ5, I’ve got to say, I’m pleasantly surprised.

Even after reading about the range hit and harsher ride of the 22” wheels, I couldn’t resist the looks of them and honestly, this car rides quieter and smoother than the SQ5 (which did have 21” wheels). Fit and finish of the exterior trim is definitely sub-par on the Tesla in comparison, but I’m somewhat confident some of that can be tweaked to be better (but also disappointing that it’s even an issue on something in this price range).

One of the biggest things that I’m looking forward to though is the software updates- the Audi SQ5, now 6 years old, had software 5 years old already when I got it. It will never be updated and with the rate technology advances, that was something that always frustrated me so the current and future “technology” aspect of the Tesla’s was quite a draw for me.

we’re you able to get the new battery with faster charging? At least Battery pack G and H

I did get G battery, but all charging to-date has been at home from an old 30A dryer outlet left over in the garage so no chance to test out the higher rates yet, but here in SoCal, lots of options exist so will try sooner or later- got 1,000 free supercharging miles to use by December!

Reactions: posey_mvp
I owned an RX 400h, the predecessor to the RX 450h, that I drove for 235,000 miles just prior to buying the Tesla Model X. The RX was fun and reliable even though it left me stranded twice with dead 12-volt batteries, it did not have the warning system like the Model X. I have driven the Model X about 60,000 miles and although it has minor sometimes aggravating reliability issues it has never left me stranded. It gave me a warning of the failing 12-volt battery.

If you are after luxury fluff you might like the RX better. I for one would never even consider the RX the same class of vehicle as the Model X. Of course, technology means more to me than fluff. The RX is a nice vehicle but the Model X is so far beyond that it is not comparable.

The Model X is on a whole different level. Fast, Smooth, efficient, great range, quiet and all electric drive. Simply plug in at night and you have a full tank every morning. It is the future. No more obnoxious gas and constantly shifting gears. They are thrilling to drive and will put the Lexus to shame with performance.
I concur with pretty much everything you said, but this is definitely model and year dependent, along with commute. Short commutes are killer in the X (< 5 mi), let alone if you add in cold temps. My 2016 was rated at 250 miles originally, charges to around 205/227 (90%/100%), but only gets around 140 miles of range on the highway. I don't drive much in the city, but when I do, the trips are all less than a few miles. I won't even touch on how inefficient it is for that type of driving (might get around 100 miles of actual range).

Still thoroughly enjoy the vehicle though, nothing compares to the technology and FWDs.

Decided to hold off on Model X for 12 - 18 months, Bought RX 450h. Thanks for all your feedback and guidance. Truly appreciate it.
You made the right choice! I traded my older Model S earlier this year for a Lexus LS500, only regret was not doing it sooner. Lexus is a much better run company, they have good, timely customer service and don’t degrade your car without warning after ~4 years. #chargegate

But it does not matter.
You should be having ability to charge at home so just plug the car in and who cares about consumption anyway, the car is "full" every morning for you commute.

It's the highway range for roadtrips that actually matters.
It does matter, even with the ability to charge at home. When you "should" be getting 200 miles and you get closer to 100 at best, that's disheartening. The highway range isn't impressive either, at least not on the X.

It does matter, even with the ability to charge at home. When you "should" be getting 200 miles and you get closer to 100 at best, that's disheartening. The highway range isn't impressive either, at least not on the X.
It's disheartening, but other than that it does not really affect you in any significant ways.

The actual highway range not living up to the EPA range does affect you quite a bit of course as I already mentioned further upthread

All that said, I'd be real tempted to jump to the X, if they'd lose the gull wings... ;-)

I am waiting for that too for a long time. But I don't expect Tesla to offer that as standard or as an option. Tesla is an arrogant company, led by an arrogant CEO. Sometimes that arrogance is actually a good thing and sometimes its not. This arrogance has allowed them to grow so fast, leave the competition in dust. So I really admire them for that otherwise old companies, including Toyota would not even think about electric cars but now they are forced to invest in them or they are looking at a dark future. Toyota will not change for a few years because they are the kings of low cost but reliable cars. So unless there are EVs in that segment, Toyota will be just fine. Lexus however, will have issues guaranteed. Lots of EVs are coming in that place and educated people are waking up to the fact that we need to do something about the environment. No amount of "cost savings" argument will work on them. So that will impact Lexus more than anything else. but if Tesla starts making cars in 25K range (or if they new President allows another $7500 EV rebate here in the US) then both Toyota and Honda will have trouble selling their cars.

I test drove Y yesterday but it did not work for us. Now waiting for either Model X refresh or some deep discounting in the later half of the year (or next year) to make our moves on Model X.

So are you saying your 350+ range car gets you less than 100 on highway? I do not believe that is true. My sis in law has the same car and we constantly drive in it long range on highways in the Northeast cold weather (read snow). The range drop is not that severe. Its mostly a loss of 30-50 miles. Please don't tell me that you drive monster speeds (125+miles) when there is snow on the road. That could potentially further reduce your miles. So I am curious if something is wrong with your car and should be checked?

So are you saying your 350+ range car gets you less than 100 on highway? I do not believe that is true. My sis in law has the same car and we constantly drive in it long range on highways in the Northeast cold weather (read snow). The range drop is not that severe. Its mostly a loss of 30-50 miles. Please don't tell me that you drive monster speeds (125+miles) when there is snow on the road. That could potentially further reduce your miles. So I am curious if something is wrong with your car and should be checked?
For sake of argument here...I have a 2016 P90DL. I'm not referencing a brand new vehicle in my posts.

For sake of argument here...I have a 2016 P90DL. I'm not referencing a brand new vehicle in my posts.
Ok Thanks. So looks like your advertised range was like 250 miles but you are now getting less than half of it. That's a 90 Pack on it. It might not be a bad idea to get it checked. Or are you saying since day 1 you never got the advertised range in any condition? Looks like others have been getting decent results.
Not bad range coming up on 2 years old P90DL

I bought a Model X in June of 2017, intending it to drive about 10000 miles a year. I'd use my motorcycle to commute, I thought, like I had been doing for +8 years, and would replace every year at 30000 miles.

It's 2020, I still have the same motorcycle which I had in 2017, it still hasn't reached 30000 miles and my Model X has raked up 87000 miles.

I'm not sure if you need to worry about service or reliability.. My Tesla's (we bought an additional Model 3) only need new tires, since the brake pads and brake disks last for ages. There are no liquids to replace, nothing to be done.

Reactions: henderrj
We also bought an x in 6/17. It was to replace our 2011 rx450h . Went to buy a new rx but really, I could not see any improvement from our 2011. Same fuel economy, range on electric only, just a butt ugly grill pasted on the front. Liked the x so much, I bought a 3 in 1/18. Both cars fantastic. Kept the rx because worth nothing in 17, daughter drives it. It has been a perfect vehicle, just like x better.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Great discussion on this topic and I'm continuing to learn about Teslas through this thread.

It's been a week since I picked up RX 450h. I fell like I made the right choice. I will also buy an EV in the next couple of years. For me, it was not really about features; it was about overall experience. I'm a tech freak and went with latest and greatest tech most of the time. [My whole home is wireless connected home including appliances, doors, windows, security etc.]. When it came to cars, I guess I was expecting the best of my experience with Lexus minus negatives of ICE cars. My new car is 8th Lexus in 25 years. Performance (acceleration in particular) is not a key requirement for me. My Lexus GSF is sub 5s for 0-60 and is plenty good enough.

On experience, here are the key factors that were important for me:

1. In cabin experience:
a) Seat (drivers): Tesla seat seems stiff and narrow with seat sides applying pressure on my sides. [I'm 5' 7" 170 lbs]. Definitely uncomfortable for long rides.

b) Noise level in the car: Tesla's are in general more noisier than Lexus cars. I'm on phone calls or listening to high quality music when I'm driving. Compared to Model X is no match (highway driving) for RX 450h with 15-speaker Mark Levinson system. Of course, My LS with 19-speaker Mark Levinson sets a very high bar in this regard.

2. Driving
a) Ride quality: I was never a big fan of ride quality of most European cars and they all seem a bit stiff. While Model S seemed to ride quite well, Model X drove more like a truck.

b) Auto-pilot capabilities: I felt like Tesla over-sold this capabilities. While future looks promising, it's by no means a mature technology. [I'm been in high-tech industry for over 30 years and I now work in AI area and I'm quite familiar with sensor technologies such as Radar, cameras, LIDAR, etc. as well as training algorithm and realtime reaction systems, etc.). No question, this is the future. But, I'm afraid that Tesla seem to provide exaggerated confidence on some of these features. I do like the adaptive cruise control feature a lot. However, that's nothing new; I've had adaptive laser guided cruise control since 2003 Lexus LS!!! My 2020 RX 450h has the same capability (Radar instead of Laser). I do realize Tesla has auto steering to keep in lane as well. However during my test drive on somewhat curvy road, I needed to have my hands on the steering as recommended by Tesla. I'm excited about full self driving capabilities ($8K option). So may be in 2021!!

Servicing:
a) Maintenance: Yes, Tesla has revolutionized no-maintenance concept and is the biggest PLUS for it. However, for Lexus its not bad as compared to there ICE cars. My experience with Lexus is that I take to dealership every 30,000 miles for service and to a Jiffy Lube every 7,500 miles. Relatively low cost of ownership. In 25 years, I did not experience any failure or reason to take my cars to service.

In summary, I'm glad Tesla is providing much needed disruption to the industry and leading in several front nit just in EV tech but also on safety, performance and efficiency. I also appreciate the contributions from Tesla user community in contributing to make the cars better. In my search for a SUV, I also considered (and test drove) Audi (EV and ICE), Porche, Masaratti, Mercedes, BMW, Accura, and Lincoln. Finalists were Model X and Lexus (more of a safe choice for me). May be it will be 2021 Tesla Model X (preferably without winged rear doors!!!). I need to get out of consuming fossil fuel.