Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X will not charge at supercharger or at home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the future when someone else also has this problem

Problem:
Tesla Model X will not charge at the supercharger and/or at the home charger.

Sometimes works for a few seconds, up to a few minutes then disconnects.

No Red error light on the charging port.

Solution:
Remove the key battery.
(Or walk the key 100 feet away from the car and leave it there while charging)

Issue:
If the key gets broken, it can constantly send error signals to the car.

One of these errors is the long hold of the trunk button, and that is suppose to open the charging port. If the key keeps sending this, then the car will keep turning off the charger.

In my case the rest if the keys functions seemed to work correctly.

But when ever the battery was in the key, the car would not charge

These errors will NOT show up in road sides assistance or with the service center.

But will cause the car to constantly fail to charge.

This is a nice post that should probably wind up in the FAQ, but the term "errors" is being used incorrectly. The fob may be sending a signal you don't want it to (which could be called errant), but there isn't an "error" and this is why no error shows up in logs for road side assistance or service. However, I would expect the logs to show that charging started and stopped along with the fact that the charge port was unlocked (and possibly even that the charge port being unlocked is why charging stopped), so I suspect miscommunication in your troubleshooting process with them. More specifically, I suspect they saw all of this but were under the impression you saw something else (an error) before you intentionally unlocked/unplugged [even though it sounds like you didn't intentionally unlock/unplug]). @verygreen could probably confirm whether my theory makes sense or the logs are lacking.

Interesting. I have never heard of this one. I wonder what is wrong with the key. Is it possible that the roof of the keyfob is detected to be always pressed in? That way when it is in range, it is thinking that you want to initiate summon of the car? There could be some logic that summon and charging can't happen at the same time.

For the future when someone else also has this problem

Problem:
Tesla Model X will not charge at the supercharger and/or at the home charger.

Sometimes works for a few seconds, up to a few minutes then disconnects.

No Red error light on the charging port.

Solution:
Remove the key battery.
(Or walk the key 100 feet away from the car and leave it there while charging)

Issue:
If the key gets broken, it can constantly send error signals to the car.

One of these errors is the long hold of the trunk button, and that is suppose to open the charging port. If the key keeps sending this, then the car will keep turning off the charger.

In my case the rest if the keys functions seemed to work correctly.

But when ever the battery was in the key, the car would not charge

These errors will NOT show up in road sides assistance or with the service center.

But will cause the car to constantly fail to charge.
The same thing happened to me. Removing the battery from the faulty key fob solved the problem for now.

Reactions: Fiver