Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X with Black 20-inch wheels - here's what it looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I need 20-inch wheels on the X as I live in New York City (the roads would not be kind to 22-inch wheels). But I like the idea of black wheels so I may have the stock wheels powder-coated. For fun, I messed around in Photoshop to see what this would look like. It's not perfect but it's not bad. I'll post the results below.

If anyone wants to see another color Model X with these wheels, let me know. It's easy to do and I have a Photoshop file with all the exterior color variations in separate layers. I didn't want to clutter up the forum with too many pics in case there isn't much interest in this. I'm leaning toward blue - and might even keep the silver wheels as is, but black with black wheels has a certain appeal as well.

Any opinions? I included the 20" silver wheels on black and blue bodies for comparison. The first white one is pearl white, the second is regular white.

blue with silver wheels.jpg
blue model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg

black model x - silver 20-inch wheels.jpg
black model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg

pearl white model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg
white model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg

I've re-colored wheels with Plasti-Dip. It works very well, and protects the underlying finish. And best of all you can peel it off in a few minutes if you ever tire of the color and want to try something new. All kinds of colors and effects available.

dipyourcar.com

I've re-colored wheels with Plasti-Dip. It works very well, and protects the underlying finish. And best of all you can peel it off in a few minutes if you ever tire of the color and want to try something new. All kinds of colors and effects available.

dipyourcar.com
You did that to your whole car, didn't you? Or was that someone else? I saw a thread about that a while back, looked pretty cool. To plastidip the wheels you'd need to take them off, right? Or can you just work some masking paper in behind the spokes? Maybe I'll try that on my current car (the wheels are already pretty beat up). Do you have any pics of your wheels with plastidip?

• Disagree
Reactions: RLA12194
You did that to your whole car, didn't you? Or was that someone else? I saw a thread about that a while back, looked pretty cool. To plastidip the wheels you'd need to take them off, right? Or can you just work some masking paper in behind the spokes? Maybe I'll try that on my current car (the wheels are already pretty beat up). Do you have any pics of your wheels with plastidip?
The way I've seen people do it is with a deck of cards. Slip the cards in between the tire and wheel. Yes, they should probably be off the car so you don't overspray onto the body. ;-)

I dunno. Cards look a lot easier to clean up than tape...

DIY: PlastiDipping Wheels 4 Different Ways - YouTube
Interesting video. But I meant masking the inside of the wheel (while still mounted) so as not to get plastidip on the brake calipers, etc. If I'm going to pay someone to remove the wheels, I'll probably do powder coat for a more permanent solution. I like the concept of Plastidip, but I don't have enough cinder blocks to rest my Model X on while I'm spray painting the wheels with plastic paint. :)

Interesting video. But I meant masking the inside of the wheel (while still mounted) so as not to get plastidip on the brake calipers, etc. If I'm going to pay someone to remove the wheels, I'll probably do powder coat for a more permanent solution. I like the concept of Plastidip, but I don't have enough cinder blocks to rest my Model X on while I'm spray painting the wheels with plastic paint. :)
Which is why you were asking about leaving them on. Gotcha.

Here you go...

PlastiDip Rims - Without Taking Wheels off the Car - DipYourCar.com How To - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

After all this plastidip talk, I definitely think a proper powder coat is more appropriate for a $100k+ vehicle like the X. ;-)

Reactions: Cowby
Mind showing this on a midnight silver? I've been planning on doing exactly this as well.
Ask and you shall receive. And here are the rest of the colors too. I didn't do Signature Red because I don't have access to that, but if someone wants to send me a full resolution screen shot of the sig red with 20-inch wheels (full side view), I'd be happy to do that one too. Would need to be someone who has access to the Signature or Founders design studio.

You can move your mouse over each of these to see the color and click to enlarge to full size.

midnight silver metallic model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg
multi-coat red model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg

obsidian black model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg
silver metallic model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg

titanium metallic model x - black 20-inch wheels.jpg

MrBoylan - Any chance you'd like to work your photoshop magic on the rear 3/4 view of a few of the colors? Please?

I'm really liking this and I think these actually look better than the 22" dark carbon wheels!
I'll see what I can do but it's a little tricky with my limited Photoshop skills. Isolating just the wheels out of the picture was tricky enough on a head-on view but may be more so on a side view.

And actually after seeing it on the Blue car, I think I prefer the silver (and my wife definitely does)!

-CB

Thank you for this MrBoylan - I'm not liking the silver wheel options on the Signature car, but if I can powder coat the wheels after delivery for reasonably cheap, that might just clinch the deal for me. And I really like the look of the black 20" wheels.

MrBoylan - Any chance you'd like to work your photoshop magic on the rear 3/4 view of a few of the colors? Please?

I'm really liking this and I think these actually look better than the 22" dark carbon wheels!
OK, here are most of the colors in a rear 3/4 view with a mocked up black 20-inch stock wheel, such as you can get from after market powder coating (or, in this case, Photoshop :) ). Enjoy!

black model X black wheels.jpg
pearl white metallic model X black wheels.jpg

midnight silver metallic model X black wheels.jpg
titanium metallic model X black wheels.jpg

deep blue metallic model X black wheels.jpg
silver metallic model X black wheels.jpg

Last edited: