TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model X with CAN adapter cable and OBDII Dongle. Warranty Problems?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Marc-Daniel, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Marc-Daniel

Marc-Daniel New Member

Hi all,

I am planning to use a CAN adapter cable in order to connect an OBDII dongle. Do you think that I will get any warranty problems with Tesla? The car is a leased Model X.

Here is the link to the Adapter: Tesla Model S, Model X, Roadster OBD2/CAN adapter cable

Thanks for considering my request.

Best regards,

Marc

2. Epymian

Epymian Member

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but the iScout product looks like it will disappoint. There was a lack of details on implementation (e.g. Blind-spot camera implementation) and the quality/features seemed questionable. It's unclear how this whole system will connect/integrate, so that to me is a red-flag that the product is far from production-ready. I'd be surprised if this ships before the end of 2017, if at all.

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

What more details do you need? It seems very straightforward, there are two cameras on the side of the thing that are meant to cover your blind spot.

As for the OP, as long as you are only reading data from the CAN bus it will not void your warranty.

5. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I'd like to see the size/shape of those cameras, how/where they're mounted, how they are connected to main unit (wireless, wired), battery life, etc. If it's a poor implementation, it will be a hassle to keep them running, not to mention a pain to install them. Not having any images of those side-view cameras screams "not ready".

6. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

What does that adapter do? Isn't their already an OBD port under the dash?

7. Marc-Daniel

Marc-Daniel New Member

Yes, there is an OBD port. This port is not really useful and there is another available which only can be accessed with the adapter mentioned above.

This video shows what I want to do:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hek7_91R40o

8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I just ordered it $35 seems to be $$$ but I want to use a OBD hotspot adapter such as Zubie or Delphi Connect.

Where is the port located on the Model X?

Thanks

9. Marc-Daniel

Marc-Daniel New Member

I do not know right now to be honest. I am still searching for this. What do you guys think about the warranty. Are there any problems if I use the adapter+dongle?

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

They're a part of the main unit, right on the sides of them. I wouldn't imagine they will work all that well, but that part is clearly ready.

11. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

If the cameras are built into the main unit, then it would be a lame blind-spot detector because you would still need to use the mirrors as well. I better solution would be a single, all-encompassing view (e.g. 360 view) so that one glance will tell you everything.

Anyway, I'll wait for your reviews to see how well it works.