Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X with CAN adapter cable and OBDII Dongle. Warranty Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope not because I backed this:

iSCOUT Head-Up Display(HUD) | Making Driving Smarter & Safer

And I think it can hook to the OBD port so will need that adapter when it ships. Tesla should buy this startup IMO

Stan
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but the iScout product looks like it will disappoint. There was a lack of details on implementation (e.g. Blind-spot camera implementation) and the quality/features seemed questionable. It's unclear how this whole system will connect/integrate, so that to me is a red-flag that the product is far from production-ready. I'd be surprised if this ships before the end of 2017, if at all.

There was a lack of details on implementation (e.g. Blind-spot camera implementation)

What more details do you need? It seems very straightforward, there are two cameras on the side of the thing that are meant to cover your blind spot.

As for the OP, as long as you are only reading data from the CAN bus it will not void your warranty.

What more details do you need? It seems very straightforward, there are two cameras on the side of the thing that are meant to cover your blind spot...
I'd like to see the size/shape of those cameras, how/where they're mounted, how they are connected to main unit (wireless, wired), battery life, etc. If it's a poor implementation, it will be a hassle to keep them running, not to mention a pain to install them. Not having any images of those side-view cameras screams "not ready".

I'd like to see the size/shape of those cameras, how/where they're mounted, how they are connected to main unit (wireless, wired), battery life, etc. If it's a poor implementation, it will be a hassle to keep them running, not to mention a pain to install them. Not having any images of those side-view cameras screams "not ready".
They're a part of the main unit, right on the sides of them. I wouldn't imagine they will work all that well, but that part is clearly ready.

They're a part of the main unit, right on the sides of them. I wouldn't imagine they will work all that well, but that part is clearly ready.
If the cameras are built into the main unit, then it would be a lame blind-spot detector because you would still need to use the mirrors as well. I better solution would be a single, all-encompassing view (e.g. 360 view) so that one glance will tell you everything.

Anyway, I'll wait for your reviews to see how well it works.