Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y build quality, manufacturing refinement and assembly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Merry Christmas, and hope everyone is having a good one!
I came into the brand with a pretty open mind, not really for or against. Very much wanting to move to EV's, being the overriding goal.

Having seen a lot of owners posting panel gaps or ill fitting trim, I was surprised not to see much addressing the actual manufacturing.
Our Y has been pretty much perfect so far in regards to assembly and any issues. Panel gaps are all consistent and tight, even and aligned.
Early days, but so far no problems with software or hardware. Will see how it goes, hopefully if anything does come up, it is during the warranty!
There is a daily quality of use improvement over any ICE, and Tesla has head and shoulders above everyone else with their software, imo.

I would like to point out manufacturing points that probably speak to Tesla's relative infancy in auto manufacturing, and/or the choice to focus on production simplification.
In comparison to a comparable legacy brand like Audi, Mercedes or BMW I've noticed a lot of manufacturing details that are lacking for this price level of vehicle.

Photos: White (Y) Silver (Audi)

Manufacturing speaking, it is well put together. Though the body is lacking engineering refinement and finish at this price level.

Tesla's focus on the "guts" and software is definitely more advanced than any other EV from legacy brands.
Not pictured are comparisons I made 'under the hood' of Teslas to all the other ev's available at the time.
Fortunately or unfortunately, all of the standout refinement is hidden.

It doesn't have the coachwork refinement of legacy brands, though "lack of build quality" that people harp about has not been an issue for me at all.
Functionally, nothing wrong with it but I do wish it had more refinement in certain body manufacturing areas to give a sense of being a high quality build par with the price.

There are many aspects of the Y that I really like over other brands and just the very different thinking that went into creating these products is very apparent once you live with it.
Had I not known about complaints, I would be very satisfied overall and thought complaints would be about these manufacturing choices.

Anyway, one aspect. There are many more i've noticed but this recurring topic made me post.

Tesla being designed and made in USA, it may be unfair to compare to Germans and maybe should be compared to GM, Stellantis and Ford brands... but in all honesty, I've never owned any comparable models. (And yes, Tesla's made in USA label did matter. Wouldn't stop me from buying an import at all, but i like that it is American.)

Tesla_Model_Y_Auto_Zuerich_2021_IMG_0392.jpg

"Tesla Model Y Auto Zuerich 2021 IMG 0392" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for as Blog thumbnail.

Last edited:
Hey Daneel, er @Eto Demerzel from Japan!

I agree with your thoughts after owning an import ;) "Ame-sha" (American Car) M3SR+ for 2-1/2 years. It very much reminds me of my '76 Honda Accord hatchback, in that it was Honda's first try at a "real car." The tech was amazing, but so many things different from Toyota and Nissan. Outward fit and finish took some effort and trips to the dealer, but the innards were amazing. I enjoyed that car immensely, almost as much as I am enjoying my Tesla. I came here and was a bit shocked at some of the, to me, nit-picking about relatively minor things. This is the most expensive car I have owned, yet it lacks a few things that my previous Toyota, Nissan, Mazda (and especially) Hondas had. But as a package, this 4-wheeled robot blows them away. And when my wife is not in the car, disengage Chill Mode, and Whoosh ... goodbye practically every car on the street, AND many motorcycles, too!

Waiting on a MYP, ETD Jan/Feb 2023. Strangely, I don't think of it as MiC, but just the closest GigaFactory.

Cheers
Don't know who Daneel is

Had the car for just over a year and overall, the experience has been good. The main issues still are the bumpy ride (20"), slight boominess of the cabin, and some rattling (not sure if it's booster seats tho).

Just recently rode in a relative's new SQ5 - quality interior, firm but forgiving ride, and just as much acceleration when needed. I was impressed.
I have a lot of experience with Audi and the ride refinement and overall drive experience is great. But, it's ICE.
Q4 E-Tron interior is plastic fantastic and same skateboard as the ID4.

Tesla's suspension tuning needs work. I don't know who they have for ride tuning but they need to invest in that.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Tesla's suspension tuning needs work. I don't know who they have for ride tuning but they need to invest in that.
Haha! More likely, WE have to invest in that ;) .

MYP coming soon. The one I test rode was pretty good around town, but didn't try on the expressway. If any worse than my M3SR+, will probably invest in the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilover kit UP Luxury Coilover Suspension.

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: bobbyjae
Do legacy makers like BMW, MERC and AUDI deserve a pass for not being able to make a timing chain tensioner or headgasket that won't fail after five or six years? Do any makers deserve a pass for engineering that fails on a scale that regularly costs thousands or tens of thousands per repair? They've all been around for literally a hundred years and can't get ICE or their electronics into anything that will last past a lease period.

It's a really strange mindset that dismisses things Tesla has done, and focus on negatives of the brand. In the same breath, ignoring the negatives of legacy makers and only comparing to their strengths.
Thank you for this.

I'm not a gear-head, but the absolute devotion many show to cars "that Last" that make it 250k miles like that's some kind of miracle makes my head explode.

Teslas are regularly reaching 3-4 times that with pretty minor repairs.

My wife and I have driven our M3SR only 50k in 3 years, but quite literally 0 maintenance. None. I don't count trading summer/winter tires, literally every car should do that in Minnesota, and is technically optional. We even had a faulty tire blow out on the highway and rode the rim until the car stopped and no damage needed fixing other than the one tire that exploded being replaced.

I just don't get the focus on panel gaps when my car will be running mechanic free until all these golden boy cars are long since 50% new parts.

I bought a 2022 Model 3 AWD back in June - very well put together and a lot of fun to drive. I miss the “thunk” of a bmw or Audi door and that feeling of luxury. This is different, but no less enjoyable for me though. The interface, software, and performance have been great.

I am currently experimenting with FSD beta with the subscription option - the highway part is brilliant but the problems around town - mostly weird behavior at intersections where it can’t decide which lane goes straight - upset my wife greatly. I think these problems can be solved - I hope they do so fast.
If you want the thunk back -- just install a weatherstripping kit to your doors and the thunk will be there. I installed that on my Model Y and besides having cleaner running boards the doors close more solidly without reverberation. One caveat -- you have to push just a little harder to assure the door is closed. PS-- don't both with installing weatherstripping on trunk or trunk which is usually included in these kits --

Merry Christmas, and hope everyone is having a good one!
I came into the brand with a pretty open mind, not really for or against. Very much wanting to move to EV's, being the overriding goal.

Having seen a lot of owners posting panel gaps or ill fitting trim, I was surprised not to see much addressing the actual manufacturing.
Our Y has been pretty much perfect so far in regards to assembly and any issues. Panel gaps are all consistent and tight, even and aligned.
Early days, but so far no problems with software or hardware. Will see how it goes, hopefully if anything does come up, it is during the warranty!
There is a daily quality of use improvement over any ICE, and Tesla has head and shoulders above everyone else with their software, imo.

I would like to point out manufacturing points that probably speak to Tesla's relative infancy in auto manufacturing, and/or the choice to focus on production simplification.
In comparison to a comparable legacy brand like Audi, Mercedes or BMW I've noticed a lot of manufacturing details that are lacking for this price level of vehicle.

Photos: White (Y) Silver (Audi)

Manufacturing speaking, it is well put together. Though the body is lacking engineering refinement and finish at this price level.

Tesla's focus on the "guts" and software is definitely more advanced than any other EV from legacy brands.
Not pictured are comparisons I made 'under the hood' of Teslas to all the other ev's available at the time.
Fortunately or unfortunately, all of the standout refinement is hidden.

It doesn't have the coachwork refinement of legacy brands, though "lack of build quality" that people harp about has not been an issue for me at all.
Functionally, nothing wrong with it but I do wish it had more refinement in certain body manufacturing areas to give a sense of being a high quality build par with the price.

There are many aspects of the Y that I really like over other brands and just the very different thinking that went into creating these products is very apparent once you live with it.
Had I not known about complaints, I would be very satisfied overall and thought complaints would be about these manufacturing choices.

Anyway, one aspect. There are many more i've noticed but this recurring topic made me post.

Tesla being designed and made in USA, it may be unfair to compare to Germans and maybe should be compared to GM, Stellantis and Ford brands... but in all honesty, I've never owned any comparable models. (And yes, Tesla's made in USA label did matter. Wouldn't stop me from buying an import at all, but i like that it is American.)

View attachment 889598
"Tesla Model Y Auto Zuerich 2021 IMG 0392" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for as Blog thumbnail.
Do legacy makers like BMW, MERC and AUDI deserve a pass for not being able to make a timing chain tensioner or headgasket that won't fail after five or six years? Do any makers deserve a pass for engineering that fails on a scale that regularly costs thousands or tens of thousands per repair? They've all been around for literally a hundred years and can't get ICE or their electronics into anything that will last past a lease period.

It's a really strange mindset that dismisses things Tesla has done, and focus on negatives of the brand. In the same breath, ignoring the negatives of legacy makers and only comparing to their strengths.

For example, in the US, the Supercharger network is vastly superior. They built this dead simple system to charge Teslas. Is creating this network of Superchargers not a cost and value added to msrp?
With the benefit of this benchmark, what have legacy brands done in the last decade? Exactly nothing. If VAG didn't f-up and were forced to pay to help make EA, everyone else would be far worse off that the $hit chargers they have. Even though they were involved, VAG are probably the worst with connectivity with EA.
Who knows if Tesla opens up Superchargers to everyone... it would definitely kill a large strength of the brand here.

In any case, currently, that is the definition of an exclusive "luxury" service and feature of the Tesla brand. You are not just paying for the car, you are paying for the supercharger network.
Just like at Mercedes, you aren't just paying for the car, you are paying for the giant showrooms, coffee and leather couches and loaner cars at the dealerships.

Luxury brands are not about paying for the car. They are about paying for the brand experience. Because god knows, you aren't paying for quality engineering. All cars nowadays are disposable plastic engineering. German cars... ffffff where do I start. I've owned them for a long time and just got tired of it. They are 3 yr lease vehicles and I'm a own it for ten years kind of guy. So, i'll take my chances with what i've seen "under the hood" of everything I considered.

I could go on and on. I'll be honest, no one on any Tesla forum or any review i've ever seen has addressed the manufacturing details.
It's so strange to just focus on panel gaps. Yes, if there is a problem, of course it needs to be addressed 100%. But have you inspected panel gaps on legacy brands?

I can't go back and edit posts I guess... so i'll put up my photos and comparisons later.

**my full quote - "I would like to point out manufacturing points that probably speak to Tesla's relative infancy in auto manufacturing, and/or the choice to focus on production simplification."
I think both are accurate, as they are improving and iterating every year it seems. They also focus and how to get production as streamlined as possible.
Thanks for your opinion, however, I have a minor difference of opinion with you. Tesla is producing a vehicle that has the imagination of the future concept of vehicles, but I feel the product is lacking in some areas, and should be addressed by Tesla. First pet peeve is the manner of purchasing the car. Yes there are showrooms, and test vehicles, but doing all the paperwork on an app was lacking in some areas. Some of the steps did not elaborate on the instructions, or were confusing to me. I think the app needs more work. Secondly, has anyone tried to get a Tesla customer service rep to ask questions about the car? I found it impossible to locate one. I have a service appointment in a week, and I hope that experience is good. As far as the car is concerned, I like it as it is fun to drive. I liked to drive my Chevy Bolt too for much less money. I have owned my 2023 Model Y for a very short time, and at the moment my major concern is the suspension and ride comfort. I am a senior driver, and don't plan on doing any rally racing, or off-roading. So my interests lie in a pleasurable, and comfortable ride on my routine, boring drives. Tesla says the suspension has been modified to create a nice ride, but my ride is more like a sports car looking for road-hugging qualities, and feeling the road bumps. I've looked into coil over replacements, and new tires, but that increases my costs about $5-6,000. There goes my tax credit out the window. In addition, my understanding is that if an owner does the suspension upgrade, the car warranty is voided. I would be nice if Tesla would at least offer a package to owners who have complained about the ride, and there are many. The package would allow owners to purchase a better suspension package, and have it installed by Tesla for a reasonable price. Finally, I've installed a weather-stripping package to reduce noise, air outlet covers for the vents under the front seats, and a few interior convenience accessories to upgrade the interior that Tesla should have included, but did not.

Thanks for your opinion, however, I have a minor difference of opinion with you. Tesla is producing a vehicle that has the imagination of the future concept of vehicles, but I feel the product is lacking in some areas, and should be addressed by Tesla. First pet peeve is the manner of purchasing the car. Yes there are showrooms, and test vehicles, but doing all the paperwork on an app was lacking in some areas. Some of the steps did not elaborate on the instructions, or were confusing to me. I think the app needs more work. Secondly, has anyone tried to get a Tesla customer service rep to ask questions about the car? I found it impossible to locate one. I have a service appointment in a week, and I hope that experience is good. As far as the car is concerned, I like it as it is fun to drive. I liked to drive my Chevy Bolt too for much less money. I have owned my 2023 Model Y for a very short time, and at the moment my major concern is the suspension and ride comfort. I am a senior driver, and don't plan on doing any rally racing, or off-roading. So my interests lie in a pleasurable, and comfortable ride on my routine, boring drives. Tesla says the suspension has been modified to create a nice ride, but my ride is more like a sports car looking for road-hugging qualities, and feeling the road bumps. I've looked into coil over replacements, and new tires, but that increases my costs about $5-6,000. There goes my tax credit out the window. In addition, my understanding is that if an owner does the suspension upgrade, the car warranty is voided. I would be nice if Tesla would at least offer a package to owners who have complained about the ride, and there are many. The package would allow owners to purchase a better suspension package, and have it installed by Tesla for a reasonable price. Finally, I've installed a weather-stripping package to reduce noise, air outlet covers for the vents under the front seats, and a few interior convenience accessories to upgrade the interior that Tesla should have included, but did not.
As you mentioned test vehicles and your specific ride wants why did you not take a simple test drive to know what you’re buying. They actually do offer an upgrade to those wanting ride comfort over sports car feel. It’s a Model S which is also available for a test drive. I personally for the buying experience very simple and wish all OEM’s had a simple path like this.

If you're in socal, there are Tesla showrooms where a test drive, showroom and all questions can be answered. Never had a problem with buying experience, no hassles and they were helpful with questions. Test drove at a couple different locations. Plenty of time to feel out the suspension and handling on freeway and local roads. No pressure, no hassles.
One large reason for dealing with Tesla was the purchasing experience. I'll never deal with the old way again.

You can have a lot of fun driving a Miata, instead of a 911 for much less money. Fun to drive isn't a cost measure.

App is great and love that they come to you for minor fixes, and the Tesla 'dealership' is close so is the same as any other brand.

ANY and all brands will void the warranty on any parts you replace with aftermarket coilovers. Cost increase is the same across all brands.

I don't know what air outlet covers you are talking about but I have not had any issues.

Tesla build quality leaves a lot to be desired but I honestly am not in agreement with your complaints. However, that's why everyone is different and have different priorities...