Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Camber Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon guys, the reason I’m posting is because I hit a huge dip last night in my model y probably going 40mph. It was a dark back street with no signs for the upcoming dip.

I scraped the hell out of the the underside of the front bumper and the plastics underneath the car. My main concern though is that I damaged the rear axle/suspension. I hit hard enough to pop the rear passenger tire. Now that I look at the rears more closely, it looks like the camber on both rear tires have been pushed in about 2 inches. There might also be some reduced clearance between the rears and the upper wheel well but I can’t be sure. I know that the camber is fixed on the rear axle and non adjustable.

Im headed to an alignment shop later today but I’m just curious if anyone has seen something similar and may know the cause. From what I can see the linkage in the back looks fine so I’m not sure if I compressed the the springs and/or damaged any bearings.

Attachments

• 207C364E-9185-46AF-B36D-347B2CBE342C.jpeg
    207C364E-9185-46AF-B36D-347B2CBE342C.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 601
  • 5093E5F6-508F-4A35-8FE1-F026F981996D.jpeg
    5093E5F6-508F-4A35-8FE1-F026F981996D.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 444
Good afternoon guys, the reason I’m posting is because I hit a huge dip last night in my model y probably going 40mph. It was a dark back street with no signs for the upcoming dip.

I scraped the hell out of the the underside of the front bumper and the plastics underneath the car. My main concern though is that I damaged the rear axle/suspension. I hit hard enough to pop the rear passenger tire. Now that I look at the rears more closely, it looks like the camber on both rear tires have been pushed in about 2 inches. There might also be some reduced clearance between the rears and the upper wheel well but I can’t be sure. I know that the camber is fixed on the rear axle and non adjustable.

Im headed to an alignment shop later today but I’m just curious if anyone has seen something similar and may know the cause. From what I can see the linkage in the back looks fine so I’m not sure if I compressed the the springs and/or damaged any bearings.
Also the attached pictures are a before an after for reference.

Upvote 0
Update: Alignment is finish but like I’ve read, mechanics were unable to adjust the rear camber because they are non-adjustable.

I saw some videos of the model y camber adjustments and they say the camber should be right around -1.5 degrees. Currently my rear tires are -2.5 (LH) and -2.8 RH. Not sure what changed or got damaged but it doesn’t seem right to me.

Upvote 0
Yikes, no need for the "before" picture, your camber is f*cked. I personally would NOT drive on that. You can ruin your tires. Are you near a tesla service center? I'm guessing you bent up at least two of the arms.
Yeah I could tell right away, seems to ride a little different as well.

That’s the strange thing I had a look at the underside when they were doing the alignment and couldn’t see any visible damage to any of the arms or linkage components. The guys at the alignment shop agreed that there wasn’t anything visible but we could be wrong.

I do have a nearby service center so I’ll probably run it over there tomorrow to see if they could take a look at it. Hopefully they’ll have some idea of what’s going on

Upvote 0
My experience is almost identical. I hit a dip in the street going faster than 40 I believe and scraped the front bottom of my Tesla Model Y and noticed the camber is off on the back wheels. What did they say when you took it to the service center?
They said “it’s within spec” which doesn’t really help much. They replaced all the linkages and even the rear subframe assembly which seems to change it a little bit but it’s definitely still not how I got it from the factory. Unfortunately I think I’m just going to have to live with it until it comes time to get a new car.

Honestly Tesla’s service centers have gone to *sugar*. My car went back and forth about 6 times between them and a local ‘certified service shop’. Tesla basically relies on them to do all the work. The shop I went to does a lot of body work but doesn’t mess with anything like suspensions. The icing on the cake was the body shop had to tell Tesla what was wrong with the car and that’s what they would replace. It’s almost as if Tesla wasn’t even inspecting it.

Upvote 0
Honestly Tesla’s service centers have gone to *sugar*. My car went back and forth about 6 times between them and a local ‘certified service shop’. Tesla basically relies on them to do all the work. The shop I went to does a lot of body work but doesn’t mess with anything like suspensions. The icing on the cake was the body shop had to tell Tesla what was wrong with the car and that’s what they would replace. It’s almost as if Tesla wasn’t even inspecting it.
This is how collision repair is done for every car maker and party involved. Your insurance adjuster/inspector assess the exterior damage only, and the body shop will start taking things off and they find more damage inside, and that's when they report to the insurance and they readjust the estimate/cost. Usually body shops do not do any mechanical/electrical work. Car manufacture had nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0