Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y charging concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I saw that, it ranges from .33 to 1.8/minute. I don’t know how they are calculating?
Its a tiered approach based on the speed of the charging: Supercharger Support

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3Tier 4
Charging at or below 60 kWCharging above 60 kW, at or below 100 kWCharging above 100 kW, at or below 180 kWCharging above 180 kW
Lowest price per minuteSecond-lowest price per minuteSecond-highest price per minuteHighest price per minute

I can precondition my car by putting my nearest tesla supercharger in the navigation. What are your thoughts?
You can precondition anytime using the Tesla app, don't need to be plugged in to precondition. The standard preconditioning warms the passenger cabin; also defrosts the windows and cameras and can turn on the front seat heaters and steering wheel heater. The standard preconditioning will also warm the battery if needed but not nearly warm enough for optimal Supercharging. (Preconditioning for Supercharging, as you noted, happens when you enter the Supercharger as the destination in the Tesla Model Y Navigation system and you are actively driving. (The Tesla Model Y won't precondition for Supercharging while parked so being plugged in is not an option. (This would be redundant since you would already be plugged in and able to charge or Supercharge.)

You can precondition anytime using the Tesla app, don't need to be plugged in to precondition. The standard preconditioning warms the passenger cabin; also defrosts the windows and cameras and can turn on the front seat heaters and steering wheel heater. The standard preconditioning will also warm the battery if needed but not nearly warm enough for optimal Supercharging. (Preconditioning for Supercharging, as you noted, happens when you enter the Supercharger as the destination in the Tesla Model Y Navigation system and you are actively driving. (The Tesla Model Y won't precondition for Supercharging while parked so being plugged in is not an option. (This would be redundant since you would already be plugged in and able to charge or Supercharge.)
Yes. It wont do when parked. But let’s say I’m driving to 10km to supercharger so it will pre condition for supercharge so we can take advantage of any other faster charger like fast ccs as well. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes. It wont do when parked. But let’s say I’m driving to 10km to supercharger so it will pre condition for supercharge so we can take advantage of any other faster charger like fast ccs as well. Correct me if I’m wrong.
Correct, the Tesla Model Y would begin to Precondition for Supercharging. In cold weather 10km is not a long enough drive to fully bring the battery temperature up to the target 40C to 50C. Still, it probably helps speed up DC fast charging session (you would have to experiment, compare.)

Yeah, I saw that, it ranges from .33 to 1.8/minute. I don’t know how they are calculating?
my guess is if you're down to 7% you are probably getting the most expensive quick charging tier at $1.80/min for a while. As the battery gets up it slows down (or if others plug in beside you, weather changes, charger isnt as fast as it could be, issue with the charger, car charging issue, etc). So you're probably charging at the fastest (but most expensive $1.80/min rate) a fair amount.

This has been a big push to get Canada to change from by the minute to billing by how much power you consume - but we're not there yet.
You must be adding about 70kWh when you charge. You pay for the luxury of the charging speed - at home it would probably take you about 7 hours on a 60A charger to be filled up - but here in Northern Ontario at our current rates that would only cost you about $6 give or take (transmission fees, blah blah)

I'd be worried about my battery getting down to 7% though in the winter, especially when we start getting into colder weather.

I do have one nearby like 400m. I use that sometimes but takes a long time to charge. I might use it or might not.
400m, it's not bad. Like 10-15 min walking distance I guess.. If it's suitable for your just to leave the car there and walk back home/work for a long time, that's the way to do it. 10% to 90% charging should take a bout 7-8 hours, so if you can leave your car there overnight, and then just come and pick up in the morning, then it's a good temporary option

I don’t see per minute charge when I charged. It cost me 7-100%, 42$ CAD.
If you go in the Tesla app, and tap your profile pic, and go into account, charging, and history, and tap your session. It should show you a per minute breakdown of your charging cost, and how many minutes you charged in each tier, and how much that tier was.

I am absolutely not clicking on some youtube video with a clickbait thread title, but that certainly should not be used as some sort of proof that consistent supercharging will somehow make a model 3 battery "die".
CYBRLFT is a good guy and is extremely pro-Tesla. Some of his most popular videos contain reactions by his Uber/Lyft passengers to the fact that the car is driving itself. He is also one of the top FSDb testers since he drives with it almost all day every day. He uses his job to fight anti-Tesla FUD. I've sometimes called him a goodwill ambassador for Tesla. He is still very pro-Tesla despite having to pay for a new battery.

BTW: Tesla told him that if he could just charge at home overnight then that would do wonders for his battery life.

Certainly n=1 doesn't prove it.
But Tesla told him that was likely the reason. Cell voltages were too variable across the pack giving warnings.
He was supercharging an average of 3x per day being an Uber/Lift driver and had no access to home charging.
Cost $8K for a brand new battery with 5yr warranty and he seems happy with the refreshed car and restored range the new battery has brought.
Agreed, I wasn't saying this as a negative rather just a warning that you probably do not want to solely depend on fast charging.

One thing to consider, consistent super charging versus using slower speed charging can deteriorate your battery more quickly.

I was told by a Tesla rep during one of the virtual onboarding videos that Supercharging doesn’t affect the battery and there are lots of people who only use superchargers with no issues so not having an at home charger is no problem.

I was told by a Tesla rep during one of the virtual onboarding videos that Supercharging doesn’t affect the battery and there are lots of people who only use superchargers with no issues so not having an at home charger is no problem.
Uhh, "doesn't affect the battery" I don't think is strictly true. That's just something they have to say. It is a slightly negative impact, but tolerable enough that it's worth it for the great benefit it adds to practical use of the car.

Reactions: jjrandorin

Doing just about anything to excess tends to be negative. I didnt click the video.

(yes @BitJam im aware that you mentioned hes good, but I have a thing against clickbait titles, and I dont follow any "youtubers" I only go to youtube when I want to learn how to do something from someone, like repair something, cook something, etc. I absolutely am not interested in watching videos of someone being an uber driver, filming people they pick up, then telling them "btw, im using full self driving on this car" to see their reaction)

Anyway, I didnt click the video but from the description provided by @BitJam supercharging up to 3 times daily, every day, would not be "regular" use, or even "normal" use, so for most people, can be discounted, unless they intend on doing that specific use case.

I agree with @Rocky_H statement on the use of supercharging in post 32 though.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was at a busy supercharger in Canada a couple weeks ago, and it kicked me out at 80%. I was just going to go to 85. I could have kept going, but it would get a lot more expensive.

Maybe that last bit from 80-100 got really expensive for you?

Also, I just try not to go over 80% on a supercharger much at all, unless I actually need that range to complete a trip. Only happened once so far, had to go to 90%, just to get around town and back at my destination.