Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Charging Port Button Issue: Won't Open with Wall Connector Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla owners,

I'm encountering a peculiar issue with my Tesla Model Y's charging port and I'm seeking advice from the community. I've owned the vehicle for less than a month, and I'm unable to open the charging port by pressing the button on the wall connector. However, I can still open it using the Tesla mobile app and the car's screen.

I made an interesting observation that the button on the wall connector only works when the trunk is open. Has anyone else experienced this specific issue with their Model Y? If so, I would greatly appreciate any insights or solutions you may have found.

I'm curious to know if there is a way to fix this issue or if it requires a service appointment. Your experiences, troubleshooting steps, or suggestions for resolving this problem would be immensely helpful.

Thank you all in advance for your input and assistance!

Reactions: David Sowden
I just parked the car and I’m pretty sure car is unlocked.
hold the button (dont push it, hold it) and put the wand close to the charge port door. If it doesnt work, sometimes there is a small piece that falls out of them that needs to be put back. I dont have a picture of it handy, but if it works when the trunk is open, that means its working and that piece is there.

You should be able to be sure the car is unlocked, by either turning off walk away lock for testing, or turning on mirrors fold on lock, etc, so you can be "sure" not pretty sure (for testing purposes).

Upvote 0
hold the button (dont push it, hold it) and put the wand close to the charge port door. If it doesnt work, sometimes there is a small piece that falls out of them that needs to be put back. I dont have a picture of it handy, but if it works when the trunk is open, that means its working and that piece is there.

You should be able to be sure the car is unlocked, by either turning off walk away lock for testing, or turning on mirrors fold on lock, etc, so you can be "sure" not pretty sure (for testing purposes).When the rear passenger door is opened, pressing and holding the charging port button does not open the port. However, when the rear passenger door is closed, it allows the charging port to be opened using the button.
  1. Unfortunately, after plugging in and then unplugging the charger, the button no longer functions for subsequent attempts to open the charging port.

You should be able to be sure the car is unlocked, by either turning off walk away lock for testing, or turning on mirrors fold on lock, etc, so you can be "sure" not pretty sure (for testing purposes).
I just tried that when rear passenger door is opened, pressing and holding the charging port button does not open the port. However, when the rear passenger door is closed, it allows the charging port to be opened using the button. Unfortunately, after plugging in and then unplugging the charger, the button no longer functions for subsequent attempts to open the charging port.

Upvote 0

If you're having issues with the car recognizing the button press, hold it above the charge port closer to the hatch door frame. I found that an instances where I'm right in front of the charge port door, it might not recognize the press, but as soon as I lift the connector up near the hatch frame where the glass meets it, it works first time every time.

Upvote 0
It's a radio frequency link. They try to keep it constrained in range so that pressing the button doesn't open every Tesla in the area. It sounds like in your case, it's not quite getting through. It makes sense that opening the hatch might help the signal get through. I remember that for a while, someone was selling a little battery powered board to open the charge port. Maybe someone still does. It was meant for people who had J1772 EVSEs at home. It was so powerful that it would open cars a long ways away.

In this case, I suspect that either your wall connector is putting out a weak signal, or your car has some antenna problem that is making reception hit or miss. The obvious thing to try is your car with a different Tesla plug, or your wall connector with a different car. You could try opening your charge port at a Supercharger, or inviting a friend with a Tesla over to test. If you can narrow it down, you can get one or the other fixed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kupe and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Hello fellow Tesla owners,

I'm encountering a peculiar issue with my Tesla Model Y's charging port and I'm seeking advice from the community. I've owned the vehicle for less than a month, and I'm unable to open the charging port by pressing the button on the wall connector. However, I can still open it using the Tesla mobile app and the car's screen.

I made an interesting observation that the button on the wall connector only works when the trunk is open. Has anyone else experienced this specific issue with their Model Y? If so, I would greatly appreciate any insights or solutions you may have found.

I'm curious to know if there is a way to fix this issue or if it requires a service appointment. Your experiences, troubleshooting steps, or suggestions for resolving this problem would be immensely helpful.

Thank you all in advance for your input and assistance!

Hearing the way that you described it, I'm going to guess that the car isn't waking up quick enough for you. After you open the tailgate, will the button on the handle work?
Have you tried opening it at any other Tesla charger, like a Supercharger?

If it does open with the button after you opened the tailgate, then the car hasn't come out of deep sleep yet. One way to accelerate it is to indeed open the tailgate. But generally I find that if I first make sure that the car can hear my phone and then hit the button a few time slowly over 10 seconds, then the door will open.

It takes a little bit for the car to wake up, so after something starts the wakeup, it may take around 5 seconds for it to come fully alive to recognize the command to open the charge cover.

Upvote 0
Hearing the way that you described it, I'm going to guess that the car isn't waking up quick enough for you. After you open the tailgate, will the button on the handle work?
Have you tried opening it at any other Tesla charger, like a Supercharger?

If it does open with the button after you opened the tailgate, then the car hasn't come out of deep sleep yet. One way to accelerate it is to indeed open the tailgate. But generally I find that if I first make sure that the car can hear my phone and then hit the button a few time slowly over 10 seconds, then the door will open.

It takes a little bit for the car to wake up, so after something starts the wakeup, it may take around 5 seconds for it to come fully alive to recognize the command to open the charge cover.
I appreciate your input. The car is just parked and I don’t think it is not into sleep. How long the car turn into sleep when you parked?

Upvote 0
If you're having issues with the car recognizing the button press, hold it above the charge port closer to the hatch door frame. I found that an instances where I'm right in front of the charge port door, it might not recognize the press, but as soon as I lift the connector up near the hatch frame where the glass meets it, it works first time every time.
Thank you, I will try next time

Upvote 0
I appreciate your input. The car is just parked and I don’t think it is not into sleep. How long the car turn into sleep when you parked?
I'm not quite sure how long it takes for the car to go into deep sleep, it's probably something like 15-30 minute, maybe even longer.

What about the other part of my question? Have you tried it at a Supercharger? If it doesn't work there, then open a service request.

Upvote 0
I'm not quite sure how long it takes for the car to go into deep sleep, it's probably something like 15-30 minute, maybe even longer.

What about the other part of my question? Have you tried it at a Supercharger? If it doesn't work there, then open a service request.
I haven’t try supercharger yet cuz it work again today. But it’s only work once. Like press and hold the button will open port then I plug and unplug the port closed, now the button didn’t work again.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that you are pressing the button well? You should hear/feel a click.
While you it probably would be okay to open a service ticket, it's probably easier to drop by a Supercharger and try it first.
If you have an issue at a Supercharger, ask someone else if they can try for you, just to make sure that it's not something that you are doing.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that you are pressing the button well? You should hear/feel a click.
While you it probably would be okay to open a service ticket, it's probably easier to drop by a Supercharger and try it first.
If you have an issue at a Supercharger, ask someone else if they can try for you, just to make sure that it's not something that you are doing.
I will at supercharger this week. By the way is it normal that wand can only use for one time? Like when I unplug it didn’t work anymore

Upvote 0