Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Cruise Control / Autopilot Chime Way Too Loud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I owned a 2015 Model S 85D for a couple years and traded it in for a Model Y LR AWD, which I have been driving for 7 months now.

I travel a lot for work and the cruise control / autopilot feature is very important to me. The purpose of this thread is to express my complaint of how loud of a chime the car makes when the cruise control / autopilot is turned on/off. This may seem like a silly frustration but it is actually uncomfortably loud and a major issue to me while on the road.

Being that I could not afford the extra $10,000 for the full self-driving package, I actually have to turn the cruise control / autopilot on and off quite a bit. Every time I change lanes, for example.

I wanted to post this issue publicly in the hopes that it generates some discussion and maybe someday reaches Tesla, because it seems like it would be a really easy fix on their end. Maybe it could get fixed through a software update. Please feel free to comment or share on this thread and let me know if anyone agrees with me!

This chime is so loud that it would surely wake up any passengers who were sleeping in the car. It also nearly makes me physically wince every time it goes off and it has gotten to the point where I have actually dreaded turning the cruise control / autopilot on and off on long trips. It has given me a headache because of how loud it is.

I tried exploring all the settings of the car and did some research on the subject and I am fairly certain there is no way of manually turning the chime off or adjusting the volume. The chime volume also does not vary based on the volume of the radio.

Thanks for reading. Please help!

Hello all,

I owned a 2015 Model S 85D for a couple years and traded it in for a Model Y LR AWD, which I have been driving for 7 months now.

I travel a lot for work and the cruise control / autopilot feature is very important to me. The purpose of this thread is to express my complaint of how loud of a chime the car makes when the cruise control / autopilot is turned on/off. This may seem like a silly frustration but it is actually uncomfortably loud and a major issue to me while on the road.

Being that I could not afford the extra $10,000 for the full self-driving package, I actually have to turn the cruise control / autopilot on and off quite a bit. Every time I change lanes, for example.

I wanted to post this issue publicly in the hopes that it generates some discussion and maybe someday reaches Tesla, because it seems like it would be a really easy fix on their end. Maybe it could get fixed through a software update. Please feel free to comment or share on this thread and let me know if anyone agrees with me!

This chime is so loud that it would surely wake up any passengers who were sleeping in the car. It also nearly makes me physically wince every time it goes off and it has gotten to the point where I have actually dreaded turning the cruise control / autopilot on and off on long trips. It has given me a headache because of how loud it is.

I tried exploring all the settings of the car and did some research on the subject and I am fairly certain there is no way of manually turning the chime off or adjusting the volume. The chime volume also does not vary based on the volume of the radio.

Thanks for reading. Please help!

I have a similar experience with my iPhone when placed on the charging pad. It seems always driven to full volume, and yes it is startling. However, the left steering wheel button rolls it down as it should. This seems to work for me in most modes where I encounter the chime, including AP. The one exception may be autopilot volume which requires adjusting through the menu. I do have FSD. I haven't found how to set a "master volume" to control all chime and voice output. I wish the car had one - or perhaps I just haven't found it. Cheers. :)