Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Delivery Timing Raises Concerns: Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Tesla Model Y Long-Range is one and a half away from today. The recently unveiled Tesla Model Y seems to be well received but – as you can see in this CNBC video – there are some who are disappointed by the roll out plan. Garrett Nelson, senior analyst at CFRA Research said that it...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/15/tesla-model-y-timing-raises-concerns-video/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Tesla has ALWAYS stated Model Y production estimates at the end of 2020. They're capital constrained. I suspect they'll make a LOT of improvements on the Model Y production vs. the Model 3 production to cut significant labor costs that they couldn't on the 3 design due to "stupid" engineering choices on the Model 3 assembly.

The 1st competitors that arrive by 2020 will still be barely competing with the S and the 3, while the Y will be even CHEAPER to build.

Reactions: GOVA
Nothing competes with Tesla. They are their own market. Like sayin Apple demand is going to dwindle when someone else comes or with a phone. Paleeeez.
Yup, it's a cult. But it's not necessarily going the way of Apple. If anything, because the margins are much lower and it can't grow fast enough to keep taking market share away. Realistically, Tesla's BEV market hare is only going to fall. Especially in its own price ranges.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaguar
Model Y's competitors have already hit the market, though. Really good range, decent cargo space Koreans for instance. Not equal in every way by any means, but long range S/CUVs nevertheless.

And still volume constrained by volume supply. But doesn't matter since a well-priced Hyundai Kona EV in 2020 will likely take a sale from a Hyundai Tucson before it affects Tesla. The EV market growth will be massive.

Reactions: S3XY and preilly44
Yup, it's a cult. But it's not necessarily going the way of Apple. If anything, because the margins are much lower and it can't grow fast enough to keep taking market share away. Realistically, Tesla's BEV market hare is only going to fall. Especially in its own price ranges.

Why is it that when people prefer a vehicle with better performance, space, range, charging network and often looks, it is considered a “cult”?

If anything, the haters are the “cult”.

Why is it that when people prefer a vehicle with better performance, space, range, charging network and often looks, it is considered a “cult”?

If anything, the haters are the “cult”.
You don't understand.
The tone and rhetoric echoed make it a cult. Not the preference for what clearly is a beautiful car brand with innovative tech that's currently market leader in each class it offers products in.
The worship of anything Elon does, exchanging his name and the brand name he is CEO and only 20%shareholder for. Brand he didn't found (of course he did found others).
The baseless blind faith absolute declarations and claims coming from people who made the effort to create accounts on places such as Electrek just to call someone with a more balanced opinion a short, troll, naysayer, FUDster, oil shill, etc. Which other brand has such a verbally defensive and aggressive following? It's really more a religion than anything else for many of the people following the brand. And it's becoming such a toxic thing that the following is increasingly opposing people looking for a car exactly like a Tesla from becoming apart of it. Like this sports team with hooligan "sopporters". Would you buy their merch, even if you really identified with the team and love how they play? It gets complicated.
Like local pop music played very loud by neighbors who never liked any music before. You don't want to be associated with that. Over here we have a classical violinist and conductor focusing on Strauss and Waltzes. Doesn't attract the typical fancy crowds but the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of music lovers. You'll find people have CDs of only this guy. And never went to a concert other than his.
Tesla is like that. People who never were car people suddenly care and alleviate their persona with their support for it. I was a bit like that and stepped away from it, bad vibes for me. I like to support the brand with my critical thought and by supporting other brands to keep Tesla honest. Not make it an easy ride to stay on top. Because I'm here for progress, not worship. For many online BEV fans, that makes me an oil shill. And that says so much about Tesla's following.

Certainly not for every buyer or follower, but Tesla for sure it a cult to many, even if they choose to deny it, perhaps also to themselves.

Why do all these analysts miss the elephant in the room. NO other brand has charging infrastructure like Tesla. You can say your coming out with all these great things, VW, Audi, Porsche, Volvo, Chevrolet, on and on. But if you have no way to travel with that car, to me anyway that car is just a grocery getter. None of these guys own, understand or live with an electric car.

They don't have the patience to understand it and if truth be known like most people, not all, they don't want to understand it either.

It'll be a solid 5-10 years before any one brand that is speaking now about their electric car platforms will be starting to touch the coat tails of Tesla. Its taken a solid 8 years for Tesla to get where they are with steep learning curve in the years prior to this last 8.

We better get behind alternative means here at any cost, this planet is talking to us.

You don't understand.
The tone and rhetoric echoed make it a cult. Not the preference for what clearly is a beautiful car brand with innovative tech that's currently market leader in each class it offers products in.
The worship of anything Elon does, exchanging his name and the brand name he is CEO and only 20%shareholder for. Brand he didn't found (of course he did found others).
The baseless blind faith absolute declarations and claims coming from people who made the effort to create accounts on places such as Electrek just to call someone with a more balanced opinion a short, troll, naysayer, FUDster, oil shill, etc. Which other brand has such a verbally defensive and aggressive following? It's really more a religion than anything else for many of the people following the brand. And it's becoming such a toxic thing that the following is increasingly opposing people looking for a car exactly like a Tesla from becoming apart of it. Like this sports team with hooligan "sopporters". Would you buy their merch, even if you really identified with the team and love how they play? It gets complicated.
Like local pop music played very loud by neighbors who never liked any music before. You don't want to be associated with that. Over here we have a classical violinist and conductor focusing on Strauss and Waltzes. Doesn't attract the typical fancy crowds but the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of music lovers. You'll find people have CDs of only this guy. And never went to a concert other than his.
Tesla is like that. People who never were car people suddenly care and alleviate their persona with their support for it. I was a bit like that and stepped away from it, bad vibes for me. I like to support the brand with my critical thought and by supporting other brands to keep Tesla honest. Not make it an easy ride to stay on top. Because I'm here for progress, not worship. For many online BEV fans, that makes me an oil shill. And that says so much about Tesla's following.

Certainly not for every buyer or follower, but Tesla for sure it a cult to many, even if they choose to deny it, perhaps also to themselves.

Two pages long talking how involved Tesla cultists are....hm.

I liked this article which looked at exactly the same premise with the opposite view
Tesla Model Y Announcement Implies No Demand Problem For Tesla Model 3 | CleanTechnica

In other words, the delay in production could instead mean that they have no need to rush a Model Y out the door, because current demand for current models is enough to cover their costs etc. Also the fact that it comes later could well mean extra R&D done by then and new tech installed in Model Y, just how the Model 3 charging is better than the S and X.

With 3 and Y has redefined what EV means again. Not just high performance, high tech and long range. Affordable is where the game is. While Tesla competes on price with ICE, new EV entrants are low volume, good until incentives last.

Last edited:
Why do all these analysts miss the elephant in the room. NO other brand has charging infrastructure like Tesla.
While true, it's also less relevant that is may seem.
Most drives in personal vehicles are NOT of the nature to need mid day charging. Globally well over 90% of days of driving I'm sure. Of course as long as you have home overnight changing every day, you will rarely be thinking about charging away from home. And let's be honest, if you have Tesla money, likely you can find a plug where you park. Not everyone, but most.

Today there may not be a thick super fast charging network, but travel on the 50kW network really isn't so bad for a driver claiming to be saving the planet in a brand new BEV with huge battery. With a Model X pulling a trailer, it's not fun to make 1000km in a day, but that's an exception obviously.
By the time Model Y is available in good numbers, let's say 100,000 of them on the roads, public <100kW chargers will be much more prevalent. Why? Because by then there may be twice as many BEVs on the road vs today. Well, almost. Public chargers are for-profit. Some get government funding for their planet saving efforts, some may try to break even on the charging and sell lots of coffee and burgers, maybe even Wi-Fi.
While Tesla has been making headlines, most other BEVs being more city focused, still there's a significant 50kW network now. It seems likely we'll see new stations getting better charge rates, as will be the move by Tesla going forward.
Eventually Tesla's market share in long distance BEV driving will fall from say 80% to 10% and their own charging network will lose its added value. No petrol car today needs their own petrol distribution network. This is the future, public charging for everyone. Tesla may just decide to open their network as it will be CCS anyway by then. If an Audi happens to want to stop where there is a Supercharger because the burgers are awesome, why not? Just use the Tesla energy, it's green and not too much of a higher rate.
If there is a BP station on the local highway, why would Shell add theres right next door? Makes no sense. Tesla is the exception, for now. They'll have chargers right next to the 50kW and 350kW public chargers. A necessary evil in the past and to an extent present. And it's prevented faster growth of public chargers, realistically. But as Tesla drivers find other options on CCS, Tesla will lose incentive to expand as much. And to be frank, they've not come close to their goals over 2018 and it's been find for most locations. V3 charging will further enable their locations to process more cars per day per stall.

With 3 and Y has redefined what EV means again. Not just high performance, high tech and long range. Affordable is where the game is. While Tesla competes on prove with ICE, new EV entrants are low volume, good until incentives last.
Model 3 already had better travel speed than even Model S and now with V3 coming it will vastly improve further.
The practicality of a BEV that doesn't have an engine in the front is barely there and the boot also small.
Model Y is the car we needed all along.

While true, it's also less relevant that is may seem.
Most drives in personal vehicles are NOT of the nature to need mid day charging. Globally well over 90% of days of driving I'm sure. Of course as long as you have home overnight changing every day, you will rarely be thinking about charging away from home. And let's be honest, if you have Tesla money, likely you can find a plug where you park. Not everyone, but most.

While I don't disagree that the type of people ponying up Tesla amounts of money probably have a drive-way and can install a home charger; the future very obviously lies in EVs and when there are cheaper more affordable options (potentially the MG ZS SUV electric version in Autumn, for the UK) there are going to be some serious issues for people who live in what you'd call cheap town-houses (terraced houses), in urban areas where you simply can't charge at home.

Yes, there are ideas to convert street-lamps and the like, but I think that for the majority of people, they'll need a fast charger within close proximity to home or work that they can "fill up" at each week, as they currently do at the petrol station.

Currently my nearest petrol station is 4 miles away. My nearest Tesla supercharger is 20 miles away and about an hour's drive when traffic is decent, and only has 4 stalls. Chargers will have to be nearly as ubiquitous as petrol stations.

While I don't disagree that the type of people ponying up Tesla amounts of money probably have a drive-way and can install a home charger; the future very obviously lies in EVs and when there are cheaper more affordable options (potentially the MG ZS SUV electric version in Autumn, for the UK) there are going to be some serious issues for people who live in what you'd call cheap town-houses (terraced houses), in urban areas where you simply can't charge at home.

Yes, there are ideas to convert street-lamps and the like, but I think that for the majority of people, they'll need a fast charger within close proximity to home or work that they can "fill up" at each week, as they currently do at the petrol station.

Currently my nearest petrol station is 4 miles away. My nearest Tesla supercharger is 20 miles away and about an hour's drive when traffic is decent, and only has 4 stalls. Chargers will have to be nearly as ubiquitous as petrol stations.
I am an apartment dweller myself. I don't drive (despite loving it) because it's needlessly wasteful and parking is terrible as it is.
The street lamp concept is genius and deserving of global implementation. It's the perfect solution with minimum impact.

Governments will need to put pressure on employers. A percentage of parking spot should feature chargers and there should always be some extra to offer the incentive to go green. As the land is already paid for, commercial rates could be lower than public chargers. Many employers just offer free slow charging to contribute their bit. For plug-in hybrid drivers, that's enough to never home charge. Public charging then is for road trips and the like. BEVs would rarely find themselves public charging, after Friday you have 80-90% left for the weekend. Need 10-20% to get to work on Monday. That leaves a lot for errants and family visits.