Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Dog Mode...Almost Killed My Dog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly why various animal charities have argued against dog mode.

Where they're concerned that owners will rely on it 100%.

Dog mode needs to have multiple levels of redundancy. Like automatically rolling down the windows if the climate control system isn't maintaining a temperature below a certain degree. If that doesn't reduce the temp enough then honking the horn with some message displayed on the screen.

Right now the redundancy in on the human checking every X of minutes.

Agree! I bought another Tesla purely for the Dog Mode. My wife and I have an older dog and we want to be with him as much as possible. But, it's not possible because dogs aren't allowed in many places. We would leave him in the car during grocery shopping or dinning (if there's no patio). Then we will take him for a walk or whatnot afterward without going home to pick him up. We learned a scary lesson...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Thanks for posting, glad you got the alert and the dog is ok, the set the alarm every 10 minutes to check things out is a great idea. We should all run dog mode next time we are out shopping whether there’s a pet in it or not to ensure it doesn’t fail.

Fred
A very good suggestion. I'll plan to do multiple tests of Dog Mode before attempting with my dog in the car.

Reactions: firerock
Actually I'm an old broken one, aka a FOG/FAG, let the young guys take the risks... early 2013 S, was risky enough...

I've got two first gen trucks on order (2022 TM AWD CT (his) - RN112975475, 2022 TM AWD CT (hers) - RN113114047), so I ain't completely a wuss yet...;)

'86 -'18... and just about everywhere it was "fun" during, and many places it wasn't. Still have all my pieces/parts, so I know how lucky I am. Appreciating that makes worrying about this kind of stuff a non-issue. I'm RN113349850 for a AWD Dual Motor as well. Can't wait... The Tacoma is getting as long in the tooth as I (we) am (are)!

we defy!

SS

'86 -'18... and just about everywhere it was "fun" during, and many places it wasn't. Still have all my pieces/parts, so I know how lucky I am. Appreciating that makes worrying about this kind of stuff a non-issue. I'm RN113349850 for a AWD Dual Motor as well. Can't wait... The Tacoma is getting as long in the tooth as I (we) am (are)!

we defy!

SS

You rode longer than I did, 87-09, my "fun" was brought to end, once my lungs got screwed up (lots of smoke - and not the fun kind, made it challenging to pass the APFT with one lung that kinda worked), they wanted me to stay in, offered me pretty much everything, but I couldn't ride a desk and got out, other than that everything else still works great, and yes I was a fortunate one! I regret leaving early, I could have still been mission relevant, but my pride got in the way, if I wasn't on a team, I didn't want to be in. Still get to support in my new role, and that gets me up everyday.

My 07 Toyota is like me is also getting long in the tooth, but I still love it, probably keep it for my son, but not sure he appreciates the ruggedness or the crappy gas mileage (supercharged - drinks 93 octane like an old warrant drinks beer). We were going to drive from here to Costa Rica in it, but recents events killed that trip for spring break, and it probably wasn't going to work out anyway with issues in northern Mexico.

I can't wait for the CT, I keep researching custom caps (can't find anything yet, may build my own, the bed uses 80/20 rails so it will easier. Been looking at trailers for overlanding at the beaches and mountains here on the east coast.

Reactions: empiredown
I staying away from @firerock, he's a magnet for bad stuff happening. 51 posts all with issues about his car.

I've owned 3 Model S's and haven't the amount of challenges he has had with his single purchase with 3 purchases and hundreds of thousands of miles driving 3 Model S's. If I see you getting on the same plane as me, when the pandemics ends, I will get off the plane. ;)

Have you thought about getting your car exorcized?

Just out of curiosity - on what basis (apart from post history) - are you discrediting the OP?

What facts do you have to discredit the OP?

Are you implying that it is improbable that a Tesla car experiences a software glitch?

Are software glitches rare on Tesla vehicles?

Reactions: GreenT
Just out of curiosity - on what basis (apart from post history) - are you discrediting the OP?

What facts do you have to discredit the OP?

Are you implying that it is improbable that a Tesla car experiences a software glitch?

Are software glitches rare on Tesla vehicles?

I think Xenoilphobe was just being cheeky because Firerock seems to be having a good deal of bad luck with this car and previous cars. Kind of a "Woah stay away from this guy, bad luck is following him haha" type deal.

There’s a lot on the line when it comes to dog mode. Maybe Tesla should send notifications to your phone every 5 minutes with with the time since activation and current interior temperature.

That's actually quite brilliant! I would love to have that feature. Or push me the interior temperature when it has dog mode on, other just send me a note that it failed.

Reactions: Joshker
That's actually quite brilliant! I would love to have that feature. Or push me the interior temperature when it has dog mode on, other just send me a note that it failed.
This could be easily done today with a simple third party app or script. Now if only Tesla improved it’s authentication so one doesn’t have to spread the credentials around.

Reactions: firerock
Long story short, my car has been in body shop for the last 2 weeks due to various issues. Today, I took my wife and dog for a quick drive. Currently, there's a heat wave in Los Angeles and I left my dog in the car with Dog Mode on. While I was in the super market, the app notified me that climate has turned off due to a climate system error. Then I checked interior car temperature was at 109 degrees!!! Luckily, my dog was ok, but that was no fun.

I tried soft reset (holding down both wheel buttons for 10 seconds) and I also hard reset/power off the car. None of that worked and I'm furious. I'm aware that nothing is perfect...but I do not wish my any of pet parents will ever experience what happened to me earlier today!

What do you suggest? The climate system broke down .. the phone notified you at once. Seems to me that was actually pretty good in the circumstances. You seem to be suggesting that the climate system should be immune to breakdowns? I realize your dog is precious, but I'm not sure what else Tesla can do here?

What do you suggest? The climate system broke down .. the phone notified you at once. Seems to me that was actually pretty good in the circumstances. You seem to be suggesting that the climate system should be immune to breakdowns? I realize your dog is precious, but I'm not sure what else Tesla can do here?

It notified me the system broke and my phone notified me about it after 10min. That could be either the phone was sleeping or the car notification came in 10 min later. And, when I checked the car temperature, it was 109 degrees. Do you think if the dog mode was working properly, the car would heat up from 74 to 109 in 10 minutes? Or the dog mode broke way before that? I don't know and can't verify. Either way, Tesla service center reached out to me and told me the Dog Mode was broken in the update that I released. And I shouldn't use it until the next update. If so, I think they aren't doing a good job at notifying their customers about such issue. They could simply add a note that the Dog Mode isn't working in the latest update.

Last edited:
With respect to the OP, I believe you’re over-reacting a bit here. You’re clearly very emotional in the video, probably because you love your dog and were worried about him (understandable, and btw I’m glad your pooch is ok). From an outside perspective, looking purely at the facts:

1. Tesla offers Dog Mode, an amazing and brilliant feature that AFAIK no other car offers
2. You used Dog Mode while shopping
3. Something went wrong and the car notified you via mobile app that something was wrong and you need to take action
4. The notification was timely enough that your dog is ok
5. You could have remotely vented the windows from the app, but were probably too emotional to think about that feature (another brilliant feature btw)

Again, glad this story has a happy ending in that no one was hurt. My only advice would be don’t make videos immediately following such an emotional event.