Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y front engine dead after 3 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would have to check your countries laws on this. I think there is a Californian Lemon Law that you might need to research to see if its applicable in your case.
I think the CA lemon law is if the same issue has been needed to address more than 3 times, mfg will need to replace the car. However, I would look into the details on what the law says.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
A new car can have failures just as easily as an old car. The Bell Curve applies here.
Or for electro-mechanical components, perhaps a "bathtub curve" as with mechanical disk drives:
bxWVK.gif

Upvote 0
the concern I have is the service department may do not have the capability to replace the unit as good as the original factor did. It may result in some other issues after few years like when my original warranty expires.

Most people in your situation will have that concern, but as was already said, this does not currently qualify for Lemon law in CA so unless they keep your car for 30 days (DAVIS or days vehicle in service) while doing this repair, it doesnt qualify for vehicle replacement.

Its frustrating, I totally get that, but tesla is not going to replace the vehicle for you with a new, different one because of this issue, and you have no way to force them to do so currently.

You will have 4 years 50k miles to sort out if something else happens (new car warranty) and any other issues that would be coming up because of this would likely show up before that time. I have a hard time imagining a repair such that, its perfectly fine for 4 years 50k miles but somehow the repair falls apart shortly after that, and was an issue all along.

Upvote 0
My brand new Model Y, the front engine is dead after less than 3 weeks, and they have to replace the front drive unit. This is so bad experience. Can I ask Tesla to replace a new car? it is only 700 miles on milage.
All Teslas have initial issues. Replacing the drive unit is a simple job. Don’t worry. It’s not an engine. It’s a few bolts and electrical cable. Look it up on YouTube. It’s not a big deal. Sure, it should never have happened but it’s not worth replacing the whole car if everything else is good. If you had numerous issues then it’s different. Keep the faith. It will be behind you and you’ll love it.

Upvote 0
My brand new Model Y, the front engine is dead after less than 3 weeks, and they have to replace the front drive unit. This is so bad experience. Can I ask Tesla to replace a new car? it is only 700 miles on milage.
This is the new paradigm. Ice engines fail after many miles of use. Electric motors usually only fail in the first few miles if something went wrong in production. Otherwise they last way longer with no maintaining. The front drive unit is all one package. It should be easy to replace. I would not worry. It will be good as new because it is.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
Upvote 0
A new car can have failures just as easily as an old car. The Bell Curve applies here.
Actually the "bell curve" is a name used for the function statisticians refer to as "normal distribution". This is about the variations seen in the results of processes. A classic example would be if you precisely weighed the cannon balls produced by a particular mold designed to make 7 pound cannon balls; the majority will be close to 7 pounds, with some a little more and some a little less. As the sample size grows a graph of the exact weights will form a curve shaped like a bell. As the weight gets farther and farther from 7 pounds there are fewer and fewer occurrences. If you monkey with the process, like rejecting any that weigh more than 7 pounds, then weigh the results, the bell curve will be bell shaped on one side and then drop down like a stair step on the other side. The better the process is, the more tall and skinny the bell curve is, a sloppier process will result in a short fat curve, (but still bell shaped).

If you have 2 molds and then combine their outputs the distribution curve will become double humped, (like a bactrian camel).

The bell curve as applied to the failure rate on cars lumps together all the processes of assembling the cars and the failure rates of all the pieces and parts combined. There is going to be some probability that any given car will have a failure(s). And yes, if you plot the number of those failures it will form a bell curve. The curve from Giga-Berlin will be slightly different than the curve from Giga-Austin, but they will both be generally the shape of a bell.

However, having said all that, (so. many. words.), electronic components have a failure rate that follows a curve shaped like a bathtub. The most likely failure will be the first time power is applied to the part. But as the part is used and hasn't failed so far, the probability of failure keeps dropping. For a relatively long time the part is extremely reliable, (particularly compared to mechanical things that wear). But as the part nears the end of its life, the probability of failure begins to increase, (the other side of the bathtub curve).

So, good news, the long term reliability of electric cars and life expectancy should be much better than ICE. The bad news is the initial reliability will likely be lower. It probably doesn't matter, because the difference between the quality assurance and quality controls by the manufacturers will be much more important than E vs ICE. This is why Elon is so focused on eliminating parts and complexity. Legacy auto manufacturers were nearly destroyed by the Japanese adoption of quality assurance and continuous improvement and Tesla has taken that to the next level.

Upvote 0
No need to worry about a front drive until replacement. I hit road debris shortly after buying my MYP, they replace the front subframe and front drive unit. The vehicles rives just as good as day 1. You could never tell anything happened.

Reactions: DrGriz
Upvote 0