Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y front engine dead after 3 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the concern I have is the service department may do not have the capability to replace the unit as good as the original factor did. It may result in some other issues after few years like when my original warranty expires.
No it won’t. They’re replacing your front drive. You’re not getting another vehicle. What’s the problem?

Reactions: DrGriz and 804son
Upvote 0
I also had a drive unit replaced, after 2 years - 4 hour job and better than new. Zero cost. No worries about that part.
What if it had happened at 3 years and 1 day? Or 36,001 miles? Everyone keeps telling me that EV motors are so much more reliable than ICE's. Truth is, I've never had an ICE motor fail on me. Sure, there will be failures now and then but for a complete motor failure and to have multiple people say that it has happened to them is not a vote of confidence for Tesla.

What bothers me is that the majority of people on this post are saying, "It's totally cool that it failed. Why are you complaining?" It reeks of Apple fanboydom. I own Apple and Tesla products. But if they fail me, I will absolutely call them out on it. I refuse to defend them against intentional cpu slowdown, panel gaps, motor fails. Fanboys are detrimental to the brand - overlooking problems never encourages the manufacturer to improve or find a solution. Look at the NY Knicks.

Upvote 0
What if it had happened at 3 years and 1 day? Or 36,001 miles? Everyone keeps telling me that EV motors are so much more reliable than ICE's. Truth is, I've never had an ICE motor fail on me. Sure, there will be failures now and then but for a complete motor failure and to have multiple people say that it has happened to them is not a vote of confidence for Tesla.

What bothers me is that the majority of people on this post are saying, "It's totally cool that it failed. Why are you complaining?" It reeks of Apple fanboydom. I own Apple and Tesla products. But if they fail me, I will absolutely call them out on it. I refuse to defend them against intentional cpu slowdown, panel gaps, motor fails. Fanboys are detrimental to the brand - overlooking problems never encourages the manufacturer to improve or find a solution. Look at the NY Knicks.

dude, I am telling you my actual experience - my car got a new motor and it had no impact on the overall car. That was the OP question. And mine did not fail, Tesla contacted me and said it should be replaced.

Upvote 0
20221204_132342.jpg
Thud and then this message "front motor disabled". Service request sent.

Upvote 0

You'd still get it replaced under warranty. If you meant 4yrs and 1 day, or 50,001mi. technically you'd be on the hook, but I had a clutch fail on and old car at 60,500mi (I had a 60k mi warranty) and the service center still put it under warranty. YMMV.

Reactions: Manbutter
Upvote 0
No doubt it does reek. In my case it was not ‘the whole motor’ that went bad, but one critical component that caused the motor to be inoperative. Tesla fixed by replacing the entire motor which is probably better for me. I have definitely seen cases of entire ice motors replaced due to manufacturing faults that cause overheating or fire risk. Iirc Hyundai had a large recall on their 2.4 engines that required some replacements. I think what is not known is if EV motors have faults that necessitate entire motor replacement more often than ICE motors. At this point we are only 10 years into mass production of EV cars.

Upvote 0
No doubt it does reek. In my case it was not ‘the whole motor’ that went bad, but one critical component that caused the motor to be inoperative. Tesla fixed by replacing the entire motor which is probably better for me. I have definitely seen cases of entire ice motors replaced due to manufacturing faults that cause overheating or fire risk. Iirc Hyundai had a large recall on their 2.4 engines that required some replacements. I think what is not known is if EV motors have faults that necessitate entire motor replacement more often than ICE motors. At this point we are only 10 years into mass production of EV cars.
Correction : My cars moter was operating but well on the way to inoperative according to Tesla

Upvote 0