Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it better to tint the roof or use sunshade?

The sunshade is going to block more heat for sure, but some people may not want to use it and block their view out the sunroof glass. Plus, a lot of them over time will sag unless you do something clever to keep the middle part up (magnets, dowel rod, etc).

I just got my windows tinted today and have 20% Xpel Prime+ on the sunroof, so it'll have good heat rejection. I noticed it's about the same darkness as a sunshade in my car without tinting the sunroof, but the sun isn't as bright looking with the 20% tint and you can see the brightness of the sun with just the sunshade. Because of that, my interior looks darker now but I like that.

It's supposed to be 100+ degrees this weekend, so I'll see how well the new sunroof tint feels and holds up to the sun. I'll probably drive around one day with the tinted sunroof only, and then drive around the next day with the sunshade on (obviously with the tint & sunshade together, there will be no heat coming through at all).

I had my glass roof ceramic tinted with 3M high performance 20%. Light still comes in, but it is darker (which I wanted) and I do not feel any heat at all now. It is 105F today and the glass pano roof is now cool. HUGE difference and I love it. I also did 3M ceramic on the windshield inside and honestly this makes even more difference than the pano roof!!

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash and jcanoe
We hate to sound biased but we just came out with the best sag free sunshade on the market! Let me know your thoughts!
This may be a bit cynical, but it looks *exactly* like virtually every other sunshade I've looked at, right down to the clips.

This may be a bit cynical, but it looks *exactly* like virtually every other sunshade I've looked at, right down to the clips.

LOL, had the exact same thoughts. I did purchase the Topfit Sunshade since it's been hot here in Los Angeles this summer, but was undecided about tinting the roof.

To my surprise, the sunshade does make a noticeable difference in reducing the cabin heat. Will be useful in the summer but plan on removing during the other seasons.

I just saw that Temai has their own sunshade for the Y now too. I generally like their stuff as they seem to do some level of R&D on their products unlike most vendors on here that just dropship from overseas.

I haven’t ordered it, but I did ping them if they wanted to share a discount with TMC since there aren’t any reviews yet. Will update here if they end up offering one.

TEMAI Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshades (Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097PCKZS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9CKF0E37ECWH2W6WG9C6

I just saw that Temai has their own sunshade for the Y now too. I generally like their stuff as they seem to do some level of R&D on their products unlike most vendors on here that just dropship from overseas.

I haven’t ordered it, but I did ping them if they wanted to share a discount with TMC since there aren’t any reviews yet. Will update here if they end up offering one.

TEMAI Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshades (Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097PCKZS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9CKF0E37ECWH2W6WG9C6
It looks like all of the others except that it seems to offer fewer clips and costs more. What makes you think that it is different?

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It looks like all of the others except that it seems to offer fewer clips and costs more. What makes you think that it is different?
Here are two screenshots from the long scrolling Temai website page that specifically purport to explain why they believe their product is better then others. Of course it's possible they are not comparing to the latest competitors, but to some older inferior design, I'm really not sure. But on the surface they're making a good ctheir version.

Unfortunately the only color offered is black; I would prefer a lighter option to brtter match the headliner.
Screenshot_20210924-022902_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210924-023250_Chrome.jpg

Update review on ThinsGo Roof Sunshade from Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/ThinSGO-Tesla-Sunshade-Sunroof-Window/dp/B08W46NTPB/?tag=tmc064-20

Have it on for almost 3 weeks straight now... I am happy with it and the results. It only comes with the mesh shade and does not come with a heat shield. I can feel a big difference when I'm driving the car. The car cools down a lot faster when you have the AC on. I no longer feel the top of my bald head baking. Also my daughter is happy that the Sun is no longer beaming down on her when she looks up... I was able to get it for under $22 with the code on page 13, I think its a no brainer if you are trying to go the cheaper route, and want to avoid tinting your roof.

Fitment wise is about 9.5 out of 10. There's some small tiny gap on the side. It does have a small sag on the middle but not that much that it bothers me. It's been on for almost 3 weeks straight and have not sag more at all..

Installation - I think the best way, is to install it through your trunk hatch and lay it on top of the head rest. You can install the clips one by one. Took me about 5 minutes to install all 10 clips.

Reactions: Noflash
Couldn't get the 'slat' idea to work for me using different materials I had like vinyl or PVC trim, just wouldn't bow upward correctly for me.

Then I thought about using a cheap, skinny 'tension curtain rod' from Lowe's (or Target or Home Depot, etc.). This one in bronze was only $4.98 for the 28 inch to 48 inch adjustable rod. You can easily fiddle with the width, then squeeze a little to insert into place wherever you want along your roof.

Not bad for less than $5.00 and you don't need to be precise in your measuring twice before cutting once. Yes, it doesn't arch upward to take out all the slack, but does a pretty good job.

Screenshot 2021-10-16 152521.png

Couldn't get the 'slat' idea to work for me using different materials I had like vinyl or PVC trim, just wouldn't bow upward correctly for me.

Then I thought about using a cheap, skinny 'tension curtain rod' from Lowe's (or Target or Home Depot, etc.). This one in bronze was only $4.98 for the 28 inch to 48 inch adjustable rod. You can easily fiddle with the width, then squeeze a little to insert into place wherever you want along your roof.

Not bad for less than $5.00 and you don't need to be precise in your measuring twice before cutting once. Yes, it doesn't arch upward to take out all the slack, but does a pretty good job.
great idea - I'd tried with some vinyl/plastic slats but had the same problem you did - they wouldn't hold up the shade. I was planning on trying with a thin wooden slat but hadn't gotten around to making one. I think I'll just try your idea instead.

Reactions: tshields