Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why people buy accessories, accessories that they don't use/need much-simply piling up the cost of the car.
Can you elaborate on why you think someone would not have a need for this sunshade? I’d understand your comment if it was an oil change reminder but where I live and where we have to park our cars, covers and sun shades help protect the interior (we don’t have a garage for our Y)

I ordered one and I can't wait. It's only May and I'm absolutely baking in the Texas heat. I can't wait to slap that sunshade up!

Hopefully you're more referring to after the car has sat out in the sun rather than when you're in it with AC etc? Curious how it is in full sun both in terms of brightness and also temperature influence...

Ditto, how does it do with the AC on? I'm in Houston and I'm curious what it will be like to have all that glass. I'm lucky in that my car rarely sits out in the sun (garaged at home and at work) but there are times when it will and I'd like to know if I need to plan to buy the shade or not. Also does anyone have any glare from all that glass? Seems to me that the center display could be hard to see at times. I'm planning a matte screen protector to address that.

i'm in Houston too. The glare is a none issue for me. The glass roof though... you do feel the heat for sure. We haven't had a really hot day yet, but even so, if I'm out driving with the sun beating down, my head definitely feels like it's in a different temperature zone. Reaching my hand up towards the glass, you'd feel the heat too. I got darker hair and it feels hot after driving out for a while. With any other car (I have to drive a lot of rental cars), I'd set the AC at 72~74 and be very comfortable. In the Y, I'm constantly adjusting it between 68~72, depending on the amount of sun. I got the sunshade, and when it's safer, I'm going in for some tint to block out more heat.

i'm in Houston too. The glare is a none issue for me. The glass roof though... you do feel the heat for sure. We haven't had a really hot day yet, but even so, if I'm out driving with the sun beating down, my head definitely feels like it's in a different temperature zone. Reaching my hand up towards the glass, you'd feel the heat too. I got darker hair and it feels hot after driving out for a while. With any other car (I have to drive a lot of rental cars), I'd set the AC at 72~74 and be very comfortable. In the Y, I'm constantly adjusting it between 68~72, depending on the amount of sun. I got the sunshade, and when it's safer, I'm going in for some tint to block out more heat.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I will probably want one of these also or (if not as well) some serious tint - let us know if you do go this route and the results, I would definitely prefer the aesthetic of tint over the shade gadget.

Forgive my ignorance, what would constitute 'better', is there a certain brand or type that's acknowledged as being best for heat prevention? I have very limited experience with tint having only selected previously by light transmission %....

"Better" in terms of heat rejection. I've always had ceramic tints put on my car and it's been great. But I've been told Spectra Photosync are even better at heat rejection than ceramic tints. It's, of course, pricier.

Ditto, how does it do with the AC on? I'm in Houston and I'm curious what it will be like to have all that glass. I'm lucky in that my car rarely sits out in the sun (garaged at home and at work) but there are times when it will and I'd like to know if I need to plan to buy the shade or not. Also does anyone have any glare from all that glass? Seems to me that the center display could be hard to see at times. I'm planning a matte screen protector to address that.

I’m in Florida. I tinted the roof with 70% 3M film and i forget there is glass up there.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Fred42
"Better" in terms of heat rejection. I've always had ceramic tints put on my car and it's been great. But I've been told Spectra Photosync are even better at heat rejection than ceramic tints. It's, of course, pricier.

I will almost certainly get the front sides done and possibly the roof once I get to experience a bit. I can’t imagine the top line stuff such as Photosync would be worth it unless you were doing all windows...?

I used to live in FL so know where you’re coming from! Did you spend. I have time in it before getting the roof done, could you guesstimate how much difference it made?

i did every window with 70% on the expensive 3M film. I did 40% on the rear windows.

it’s made a major difference, I’m running the AC at 71-73 instead of 69. I don’t feel the god awful heat anymore.

total cost was $2K for the crystalline 3M film. The roof was the most expensive, it was 1K of the 2K.