Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should be taking delivery of my Model Y next week and, living in Florida, I know that the roof is going to be an issue... This shade is definitely an option for me but, in addition to the "sagging" issue, should I be concerned about the clips damaging the liner and/or roof itself (with long-term use)?

Thanks.

I must say that @vinvin218 customer service is really awesome! He personally called me today to apologize for messing up the second shipment to me. When I told him why don't you just hold off sending me a replacement now and wait for the revised version come out since the one I have still works even though it's sagging. Vince insisted to still send me a replacement now! I work in customer service and must say I can learn from him in going the extra mile for the customers.

We are working on a cross member (black color) to get more support from the middle of the shade, should help to solve most of the sagging issues.

Once its done develop and production, will ship out to all customers who purchase our sunshades (Free) . ETA for development also production is around 60 days if not earlier. I will keep u guys updated.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I had to reject my delivery and waiting on a new VIN, so mine is still sitting in the package, and I'm not sure when in the future my delivery will be, but it is great to see such amazing customer service and you will take care of us regardless of whether we have tested the fit or not!

I would love to have something that I can roll as oppose to permanently there. Anything like that in the works?
It’s actually pretty easy to take in and out, though it’s large and you wouldn’t want to do it every day - once a week wouldn’t be too inconvenient. I removed mine ‘til I get the cross piece as the sagging was bugging me. And I have the roof tinted now so the shade is really a “nice to have” kind of thing for me...

Good thread here. The glass roof is a concern of mine as my daughter's MINI Cooper has the panoramic sunroof and even with a shade (which is full of small holes!), it's brutal during the NJ summers..... Glad there are some solutions out there, although I'd rather have the option of a roll-out shade so I could take advantage of the light when it's not scorching hot and at night....

OK, finally got my MY this weekend, and just installed the glass roof sunshade. It was more unwieldy than I thought, because my roof trim is super tight to my glass roof, and it was very difficult to slide the tabs between the glass and roof trim unless I started in the middle where there was a tiny gap, and slid the trim down to the right positions.

So yes, mine is also sagging in the middle. How much better is the non-sagging version? I'm not tall enough that it hits my head, but if I press my hand up in the middle, there is a considerable gap. It is 95 degrees out today so I'm leaving it on it to cut down on the heat. @vinvin218 - how should I reach out about version 2.0?

I purchased this Sunshade for the Y on Amazon, it has 2 separate layers with the silver layer facing the top and a black layer facing the inside, so 2 sunshades together, man this makes a world of difference, took a ride to the beach and I felt no heat beating down on my head, back or shoulders, that’s with the windows closed and once at the beach I cracked open the 4 windows About an inch to let some cool sea air in, didn’t have to turn the A/C on at all. Then on the way back home I turned the A/C on and set it to 70 as I didn’t need it any colder then that. I monitored the Cabin air on the App and it maintained at 70 with no issues as there was no heat to battle. I have a different sunshade on my Model 3 but I’m going to look for this same one for the model 3 because this one works way better at stopping the heat.

Also note that you get a big windshield cover with the silver back and it has a Velcro wrap that attaches around the rear view mirror, also great for camping at night.

No rear hatch window sunshade, it doesn’t need it.

Mixsuper Windshield Sunshade... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRC4Q6G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Fred

I purchased this Sunshade for the Y on Amazon, it has 2 separate layers with the silver layer facing the top and a black layer facing the inside, so 2 sunshades together, man this makes a world of difference, took a ride to the beach and I felt no heat beating down on my head, back or shoulders, that’s with the windows closed and once at the beach I cracked open the 4 windows About an inch to let some cool sea air in, didn’t have to turn the A/C on at all. Then on the way back home I turned the A/C on and set it to 70 as I didn’t need it any colder then that. I monitored the Cabin air on the App and it maintained at 70 with no issues as there was no heat to battle. I have a different sunshade on my Model 3 but I’m going to look for this same one for the model 3 because this one works way better at stopping the heat.

Also note that you get a big windshield cover with the silver back and it has a Velcro wrap that attaches around the rear view mirror, also great for camping at night.

Mixsuper Windshield Sunshade... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRC4Q6G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Fred
And it's 'encrypted'!

• Funny
Reactions: Dennisis

Fred

Could you post some pictures? How good is the fit?

Could you post some pictures? How good is the fit?
The fit is great, I feel that it should have at least 2 more holding clips for the sides, it comes with 8 holding clips so 2 clips for each side. I ordered the Model 3 version so I will snag the clips from my old Model 3 Shade to add to the new Model Y shade for extra grip. note: that after 2 days of driving around the new Model Y shade is holding very well, not once has it came off the clips. But again what’s amazing is that it kills all of the heat coming from above. Will shoot some photos in a few.

Fred

8398DB1C-02E9-4372-B83E-F601758768F4.jpeg

182351E5-E572-4FED-BCF0-E5497D423FA3.jpeg

3DA69BD5-AC47-47E7-AE54-177428882CEC.jpeg

E7296E9B-DA0F-4E27-A4B6-22269B4C9C64.jpeg

1C0D682C-7820-4DBD-ACD6-B43EC8314112.jpeg

Reactions: DanDi58
The fit is great, I feel that it should have at least 2 more holding clips for the sides, it comes with 8 holding clips so 2 clips for each side. I ordered the Model 3 version so I will snag the clips from my old Model 3 Shade to add to the new Model Y shade for extra grip. note: that after 2 days of driving around the new Model Y shade is holding very well, not once has it came off the clips. But again what’s amazing is that it kills all of the heat coming from above. Will shoot some photos in a few.

Fred
Thanks for sharing and posting the pictures. Does the shade sag at all in the middle? Reviews for other Model Y shades all seem to report that they sag a bit because the shade is so big.

Thanks for sharing and posting the pictures. Does the shade sag at all in the middle? Reviews for other Model Y shades all seem to report that they sag a bit because the shade is so big.

It does sag a little but you can not notice it unless you push up on it in the middle. Will add more holding clips from the model 3 tomorrow for more stability.

Fred