Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the Tesla sunshade would be designed as two pieces, this would eliminate the “sag” make it easier to install and allow the use of one or the other section as desired. Just thinking out loud.
I have one that I don't use, waiting on the promised cross-pieces they were designing to prop up the middle. Just sags too much without support.

I have one that I don't use, waiting on the promised cross-pieces they were designing to prop up the middle. Just sags too much without support.
I’m going to the Home Depot tomorrow to look for a long plastic strip that I can attach on each side with a curve to push up on the shade in the middle foe the model Y. That should be an easy fix.

Fred

• Helpful
Reactions: njxman
I’m going to the Home Depot tomorrow to look for a long plastic strip that I can attach on each side with a curve to push up on the shade in the middle foe the model Y. That should be an easy fix.

Fred
I actually tried that but the roof doesn’t have enough of a curve side to side for it to work, at least in my quick attempt. It would have to be very stiff and set inside the liner with the shade installed which is more of a trick than you may think. A custom made one with the right brackets on the ends looks feasible - good luck!
You didn’t tint your roof did you? Mine with tint seems fine but taking a trip to Scottsdale tomorrow so I’ll have a better idea after that.

I actually tried that but the roof doesn’t have enough of a curve side to side for it to work, at least in my quick attempt. It would have to be very stiff and set inside the liner with the shade installed which is more of a trick than you may think. A custom made one with the right brackets on the ends looks feasible - good luck!
You didn’t tint your roof did you? Mine with tint seems fine but taking a trip to Scottsdale tomorrow so I’ll have a better idea after that.
Didn’t tint thinking that the black color was tint. But this double layer shade worked out better.

Fred

Besides the sagging issue, why couldn’t they make these with one side silver or white to reflect the sun/heat and the other side black, instead of resorting to two layers, like many windshield shades? Actually having both sides white will not bother me. Also, the two piece idea is a good one, easier to install and remove. These are temporary fixtures anyway.

I tried two sources listed on Amazon and returned both of them because of the sagging issue and minimal heat reduction, only 10-15 degrees with one black net layer after parking outside under the sun for 3-4 hrs. The double layers were better at heat reduction but with worse sagging.

Really appreciate all the feedback. We are working on few different ways to solve the sagging issues (at least most of them), will def keep u guys updated. Once we received ur return email, few extra clips will send out immediately. Thanks.

Just ordered mine and wondering if this has been fixed. Since I just saw this forum, should I cancel my order? I am very concerned with all the comments of sagging...

Just ordered mine and wondering if this has been fixed. Since I just saw this forum, should I cancel my order? I am very concerned with all the comments of sagging...
It will sag some in the middle for sure - several inches. It will help with the heat so if heat is a problem for you it’s still probably worth it, just don’t expect a perfect fit. I doubt they’ll come up with a solution that doesn’t have trade offs.

It will sag some in the middle for sure - several inches. It will help with the heat so if heat is a problem for you it’s still probably worth it, just don’t expect a perfect fit. I doubt they’ll come up with a solution that doesn’t have trade offs.

That's what I am afraid of. they said they would have a solution, but none so far. Sound like a bad buy.... Thank you for the info though...

I bought one and after trying it out for a few days decided I don't plan to use it unless road tripping with the kiddos in the backseat during the summer, if you live in a hot environment like AZ or FL tint would be the way to go. Does fold up nicely and came with a storage bag.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Update: Just received an email from Tesmanian selling version 2 of the sunshade. They've added a "silver/black UV screen and 2 self-adhesive magnets". Let's see if they do anything for those of us who ordered the original sagging version as previously indicated....

Reactions: macanjr and Klau2
Update: Just received an email from Tesmanian selling version 2 of the sunshade. They've added a "silver/black UV screen and 2 self-adhesive magnets". Let's see if they do anything for those of us who ordered the original sagging version as previously indicated....
yup, saw the same thing. they actually sent me a replacement one before, but it was still sagging. Tesmanian has great customer service, let's see what is going to happen.

We are working on a cross member (black color) to get more support from the middle of the shade, should help to solve most of the sagging issues.

Once its done develop and production, will ship out to all customers who purchase our sunshades (Free) . ETA for development also production is around 60 days if not earlier. I will keep u guys updated.
Received your email on version 2 - so previous buyers can expect the update sometime soon?

Reactions: Klau2
I just received an email from Tesmanian, limited quantities of the 2nd generation sunscreen for Model Y are in stock. The 2nd generation sunscreen uses two pair of adhesive magnets to hold up the part of the sunshade that would hang down in the 1st generation sunshade. I don't own the 1st generation sunshade, no need in my area. That is all.

I just received an email from Tesmanian, limited quantities of the 2nd generation sunscreen for Model Y are in stock. The 2nd generation sunscreen uses two pair of adhesive magnets to hold up the part of the sunshade that would hang down in the 1st generation sunshade. I don't own the 1st generation sunshade, no need in my area. That is all.
What if instead of the 2nd Gen sunscreen using 8 clips and 2 sets of adhesive magnets they just used more magnets to hold the sunscreen and eliminated the clips? Then the sunscreen could be easily removed. Maybe there is a need for a 3rd generation sunscreen.

Reactions: jpfive and macanjr
What if instead of the 2nd Gen sunscreen using 8 clips and 2 sets of adhesive magnets they just used more magnets to hold the sunscreen and eliminated the clips? Then the sunscreen could be easily removed. Maybe there is a need for a 3rd generation sunscreen.

As I mentioned I have the 2 magnets and I am hesitant to have my roof have these two metal plates stuck to it, there is no way I would want more stuck to the glass. That is just my opinion though.