Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to bump this.... does anyone any good or bad experiences with the version 2 magnets?

I agree, I would especially like to see what the magnets look like when the screen is down, since they are attached via adhesive.

I assume the folded up screen is too big to fit in any of the MY's hidden compartments so the cover is just to protect it for storage in the garage. Is this correct?

I agree, I would especially like to see what the magnets look like when the screen is down, since they are attached via adhesive.

I assume the folded up screen is too big to fit in any of the MY's hidden compartments so the cover is just to protect it for storage in the garage. Is this correct?

Yes, you are correct. It comes with a bag to store it in, but when it's folded up, it's way too large for either of the compartments in the back.

I bought mine before I got the car, and have yet to put it in yet. I don't see actually using the magnets though. Whatever adhesive they may be using will be turned to mush in short order in our heat.

Thought I would share with you my simple solution to reducing the sag in the roof sunshade. I used a scrap piece of wood lying about my garage to fashion a wooden stave 1 x 3/16 x 41 7/8 inchs, which Is then sprung between the two upper side trim pieces It stays in place by its own tension and effectively pins the screen tight to the roof. I have had it in place now for a couple of weeks and it has shown no signs of moving, takes about 30secs to install or remove. Trick is to having it just the right length and having a straight grain piece of wood with no Knots.

View attachment 614290 View attachment 614290 View attachment 614290

This looks like a better idea than the magnet that glues on. My only concern would be the occasional rattle. Has that been an issue?

While you say you used scrap wood, was it a specific type of wood (e.g. pine, birch, oak)? I assume you painted or stained it a flat black. Did you do anything on the ends to keep if from marking the lighter colored liner?

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
[
QUOTE="73Bruin, post: 5363247, member: 148917"]This looks like a better idea than the magnet that glues on. My only concern would be the occasional rattle. Has that been an issue?

While you say you used scrap wood, was it a specific type of wood (e.g. pine, birch, oak)? I assume you painted or stained it a flat black. Did you do anything on the ends to keep if from marking the lighter colored liner?[/QUOTE]

Hi. Had it in place over 3 months now, no rattles and it has stayed perfectly in place. I suspect the wood is pine, certainly nothing exotic. It could be some 1/4 x 3/4 inch pinewood bead trim I had left over from an old project, Home Depot or Lowe’s would probably have it. I did spray it flat black and no it has not marked the interior trim in any way. The trick is to get it just the right length to maintain just enough tension to stay in place without deforming the trim that it butts up against, however, as the width across the car narrows front to back you can slide it back and forth a little ways to fine tune the tension. You could possibly butt it up against the shade retaining clips either side if you are concerned about the trim. Hope that helps

Tobyjug

[
QUOTE="73Bruin, post: 5363247, member: 148917"]This looks like a better idea than the magnet that glues on. My only concern would be the occasional rattle. Has that been an issue?

While you say you used scrap wood, was it a specific type of wood (e.g. pine, birch, oak)? I assume you painted or stained it a flat black. Did you do anything on the ends to keep if from marking the lighter colored liner?

Hi. Had it in place over 3 months now, no rattles and it has stayed perfectly in place. I suspect the wood is pine, certainly nothing exotic. It could be some 1/4 x 3/4 inch pinewood bead trim I had left over from an old project, Home Depot or Lowe’s would probably have it. I did spray it flat black and no it has not marked the interior trim in any way. The trick is to get it just the right length to maintain just enough tension to stay in place without deforming the trim that it butts up against, however, as the width across the car narrows front to back you can slide it back and forth a little ways to fine tune the tension. You could possibly butt it up against the shade retaining clips either side if you are concerned about the trim. Hope that helps

Tobyjug[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the detailed reply. I guess the proper procedure is too mount the screen and see where the sag (if any) is worst and then design the brace to fit at that with.

Does anyone know if there's a 2 piece version available anywhere? I think by dividing the sunshade for the panoramic roof into 2 pieces, it would solve the sagging issues and also allow people to just cover the front half of the roof if there are no rear passengers.

Reactions: BigNerd
Has anyone seen measurement of heat (BTUs) transmission through the roof? I did see Model S was tested and the transmission was almost zero - indistinguishable from regular roof. I would be surprised if the glass on model 3 and model Y was different...

Has anyone tried the removable static cling plastic film? I have been using one on the driver‘s window when the sun shines on it, and it works very well. Just wonder if the film would stick to a much larger horizontal surface (as opposed to vertical on the side window). We could use two pieces instead a very large one, perhaps one piece just large enough to shield the front occupants.

Has anyone seen measurement of heat (BTUs) transmission through the roof? I did see Model S was tested and the transmission was almost zero - indistinguishable from regular roof. I would be surprised if the glass on model 3 and model Y was different...
I have the shade and when it's hot the temperature difference is noticeable. I also tinted the roof along with the rest of the car.

I have the shade and when it's hot the temperature difference is noticeable. I also tinted the roof along with the rest of the car.
With complete respect, could this be confirmation bias? I ask because I am in a hot southern state (purchased June last year) and cannot feel any radiated hear from the roof but in fairness I do not have the cover nor have I measured...

With complete respect, could this be confirmation bias? I ask because I am in a hot southern state (purchased June last year) and cannot feel any radiated hear from the roof but in fairness I do not have the cover nor have I measured...
I live in Florida, I have had my Y since March 2020, 1st summer here I can tell when the car is just baking in the sun sitting still and it will take a while to let the AC cool the car down. The reason I purchased the shade was for one reason only, for my family's trips to disney when we have the car parked in the parking lot for 8 + hours.

It works fine for that but that is the only time I need it in Florida.