Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With complete respect, could this be confirmation bias? I ask because I am in a hot southern state (purchased June last year) and cannot feel any radiated hear from the roof but in fairness I do not have the cover nor have I measured...
No official measurements here but though I'd prefer not to use it, and I haven't put it back up yet this year, I can feel the difference on my bald head. Call it what you want but if it helps that's good enough for me. I'm not that vested in a $75 shade.

On that note, I got it early on before they came up with the magnets - they sent them to me but I won't stick them on. Hopefully someone will develop a better solution.

Reactions: pkitch
So I have the version 2, with the magnets and just put it in for the first time (bought it in November). I can't say I am impressed. It sags quite a bit, and doesn't even fit properly into the rear corners. I'm not using the magnets since I'm not sticking them to the glass, and I think it would look even worse with them in place (two one inch circles aren't fixing the sag issue).

I still want to test it out for a few days and see if it helps with the top of my head cooking when the sun is high.

I won't install as the small metal plates are attached (3m) to glass and sit there when not in use.
The two metal plates are the size of a quarter. They are very thin and sticks on the glass (can only be seen by the rear passengers) then you use the magnet to secure the sagging part closer to the ceiling. I love it. It is at least 5 degrees cooler in the car in the hot SoCal sun at 2pm in the afternoon.

The two metal plates are the size of a quarter. They are very thin and sticks on the glass (can only be seen by the rear passengers) then you use the magnet to secure the sagging part closer to the ceiling. I love it. It is at least 5 degrees cooler in the car in the hot SoCal sun at 2pm in the afternoon.
I have the magnets, as I said I won't install them but that is my opinion only, to each there own....

So I have the version 2, with the magnets and just put it in for the first time (bought it in November). I can't say I am impressed. It sags quite a bit, and doesn't even fit properly into the rear corners. I'm not using the magnets since I'm not sticking them to the glass, and I think it would look even worse with them in place (two one inch circles aren't fixing the sag issue).

I still want to test it out for a few days and see if it helps with the top of my head cooking when the sun is high.

No official measurements here but though I'd prefer not to use it, and I haven't put it back up yet this year, I can feel the difference on my bald head. Call it what you want but if it helps that's good enough for me. I'm not that vested in a $75 shade.

On that note, I got it early on before they came up with the magnets - they sent them to me but I won't stick them on. Hopefully someone will develop a better solution.
Will something that is easily removed, like suction cupped magnetic plate, work better?

Like this:
Screenshot_20210409-091210_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20210409-091137_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Florida, I have had my Y since March 2020, 1st summer here I can tell when the car is just baking in the sun sitting still and it will take a while to let the AC cool the car down. The reason I purchased the shade was for one reason only, for my family's trips to disney when we have the car parked in the parking lot for 8 + hours.

It works fine for that but that is the only time I need it in Florida.
Makes sense, I used to live in Orlando (then TX) so can totally relate.

Has anyone tried the removable static cling plastic film? I have been using one on the driver‘s window when the sun shines on it, and it works very well. Just wonder if the film would stick to a much larger horizontal surface (as opposed to vertical on the side window). We could use two pieces instead a very large one, perhaps one piece just large enough to shield the front occupants.

I had a chance to test out the static cling plastic film today (finally the sun came out), and the film stuck to the roof perfectly. I am leaving it attached to see how long it is going to stay when the temperature gets cooler in my garage. Not sure how long it will stay attached

to follow up, I purchase the version 2 kit (magnets + optional opaque sunshade).

The magnets are a significant improvement over the version 1. It removes ~70-80% of the 'sag'. I guess I can't speak to the appearance, it looks fine to me but I don't have to see it from the driver's seat. But it does feel a little more roomy up top.

This looks like a better idea than the magnet that glues on. My only concern would be the occasional rattle. Has that been an issue?

While you say you used scrap wood, was it a specific type of wood (e.g. pine, birch, oak)? I assume you painted or stained it a flat black. Did you do anything on the ends to keep if from marking the lighter colored liner?
How much milling did you need to do to fashion the stave, or is there stock a HomeDepot, Lowes, etc which would be useable as-is once cut strayed/finished and cut to length?

Thought I would share with you my simple solution to reducing the sag in the roof sunshade. I used a scrap piece of wood lying about my garage to fashion a wooden stave 1 x 3/16 x 41 7/8 inchs, which Is then sprung between the two upper side trim pieces It stays in place by its own tension and effectively pins the screen tight to the roof. I have had it in place now for a couple of weeks and it has shown no signs of moving, takes about 30secs to install or remove. Trick is to having it just the right length and having a straight grain piece of wood with no Knots.

View attachment 614290 View attachment 614290 View attachment 614290
How much milling did you need to do to fashion the stave, or is there stock a HomeDepot, Lowes, etc which would be useable as-is once cut strayed/finished and cut to length?

See my 2nd post #145
It fits inside the frame, effectively pinning the frame between the roof side trim and the end of the stave. See attached photos

Attachments

• CB2675EF-75AD-48AE-AE1D-038DBBC077E6.jpeg
    CB2675EF-75AD-48AE-AE1D-038DBBC077E6.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 131
  • 12BD1730-A1EA-4D7C-AD9A-B6696E27F7FF.jpeg
    12BD1730-A1EA-4D7C-AD9A-B6696E27F7FF.jpeg
    568.5 KB · Views: 129
  • F02DC668-C9D1-4F1C-987E-BF16DABAA3A1.jpeg
    F02DC668-C9D1-4F1C-987E-BF16DABAA3A1.jpeg
    784.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 25896B53-9B61-45FF-8C5A-D022E93BFEE9.jpeg
    25896B53-9B61-45FF-8C5A-D022E93BFEE9.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: macanjr
This has been a great thread. I like the solution using the bowed stick the best so far. I’m surprised Tesla hasn’t come up with a solution themselves yet. Maybe one day they will offer glass that can be electronically tinted as needed. That would be a real nice improvement.

This has been a great thread. I like the solution using the bowed stick the best so far. I’m surprised Tesla hasn’t come up with a solution themselves yet. Maybe one day they will offer glass that can be electronically tinted as needed. That would be a real nice improvement.
Good luck getting the stick to fit properly though. I gave it a quick try and there's little "bow" to keep it in place and actually provide better support. May give it a better effort soon....

It fits inside the frame, effectively pinning the frame between the roof side trim and the end of the stave. See attached photos
Ah! That clarifies it! I was under the impression that the edges of the stave fit in the space between the sunroof glass and the side panel, but it seems to simply "pin" the edges of the sunshade up against the top edge of the side panel

After seeing the suction cup post above I decided to give it a try, will let you know tomorrow how they work.

I went cheaper than above.

2 might work but 4 probably better, the picture attached is the suction cups with magnets supplies with the shade.View attachment 653556

This and the stave are both good ideas and might even work well together (depending upon the amount of droop. Looking forward to pictures.

Has anyone used any of the other sunshades that are available (since the Tasmanian Sun Shade has been in an out of stock condition for a while)? Some seem to include the separate UV shade that the Tasmanian shade does, while others don't. I have not seen any reports on fitment on them.

Aluminum foil taped onto the outside glass blocks 100% of the light and heat and costs only 1 dollar. :)

And... it *reflects* the light so there never is a heat issue in the first place.

Ok, it looks funny on a premium car, I'll give you that...