Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gee...after 14 pages there seems to be no clear consensus yet. Without modifying anything, do any of these roof screens NOT sag?
My MY doesn't come in till next April, but at this point I'm leaning towards having the roof coated with ceramic film - SpectraPhotoSync 30% offers 80% total solar energy rejection (TSER), which is among the highest I've found if not the highest. I can always add a solar screen on top as well. I also plan on doing all the windows with the same window film as well, but in a lighter shade because I want to see out at night. I could care less if I can see up through the roof. I just want the heat gone. It's 110° plus here all summer long and I need maximum sun protection!

Reactions: Deutsch100
Gee...after 14 pages there seems to be no clear consensus yet. Without modifying anything, do any of these roof screens NOT sag?
My MY doesn't come in till next April, but at this point I'm leaning towards having the roof coated with ceramic film - SpectraPhotoSync 30% offers 80% total solar energy rejection (TSER), which is among the highest I've found if not the highest. I can always add a solar screen on top as well. I also plan on doing all the windows with the same window film as well, but in a lighter shade because I want to see out at night. I could care less if I can see up through the roof. I just want the heat gone. It's 110° plus here all summer long and I need maximum sun protection!
I never noticed the sag of the sun shade I installed although it is there. In fact I no longer pay any attention to the sun shade I installed last June. The benefit of the sun shade to me is that it diffuses the rays of the sun so I don't feel the heat on the top of my head as I drive. For under $50 it the glass roof sun shade has been great, my second most favorite interior accessory after the floor liners.

Find an installer you want to use, trust their experience and opinion regarding tinting the glass roof. If the glass roof cracks due to the heat radiated back by the tint then you will be out of pocket ~$2000 (the cost of the replacement of the glass roof and the money you spent on the tint.)

Although you would have to bring your Tesla Model Y to the tint shop twice you could have the windshield, front windows tinted first and then determine if additional tint is needed after you have driven the Model Y into next summer.

Reactions: alexcue
LOL, had the exact same thoughts. I did purchase the Topfit Sunshade since it's been hot here in Los Angeles this summer, but was undecided about tinting the roof.

To my surprise, the sunshade does make a noticeable difference in reducing the cabin heat. Will be useful in the summer but plan on removing during the other seasons.
Quick update. Returned the Topfit sunshade since it developed a very noticeable sag. Decided to try out the Temai and been pretty pleased with it. Much sturdier than the Topfit and very minimal sag. Back in the storage bag until next summer!

Quick update. Returned the Topfit sunshade since it developed a very noticeable sag. Decided to try out the Temai and been pretty pleased with it. Much sturdier than the Topfit and very minimal sag. Back in the storage bag until next summer!
The Temai doesn’t have much sag even without magnets? Think I will try it.

I found one on Amazon that has a very good gray color match to the original head liner, but the material is so loose that there is 1 1/2” of sag along the sides even a magnet in the middle. May work better with four magnets distributed across the top…

If the glass roof cracks due to the heat radiated back by the tint then you will be out of pocket ~$2000 (the cost of the replacement of the glass roof and the money you spent on the tint.)
Have there been issues with the glass roof cracking? Has anyone here on other forums reported a cracked roof due to a dark tint (which reflects more heat)?

The Temai doesn’t have much sag even without magnets? Think I will try it.

I found one on Amazon that has a very good gray color match to the original head liner, but the material is so loose that there is 1 1/2” of sag along the sides even a magnet in the middle. May work better with four magnets distributed across the top…
That’s correct. Minimal sag compared to the Topfit.

Reactions: bluestonex
Have there been issues with the glass roof cracking? Has anyone here on other forums reported a cracked roof due to a dark tint (which reflects more heat)?
I have not read of any cases where the roof cracked due to added tint/heat. Some tint installers refuse to tint the roof, that adding tint film to the glass roof may cause the glass to crack.

Reactions: Pianewman

Going to be hard for someone to develop an easy install shade that will not sag because of how the roof curves. I also thought about tinting my roof but just did not want to spend $$$ for something I only need for 3-4 months of the year. I have a buddy who lives in Central Valley who tinted his roof, and said tinting his roof did help but not fully to what he was expecting. He said it still gets hot and can feel the sun when it's on top of his head.

I have had my sunshade by ThinsNGo for a few months straight now. Even with the minimal sag I never really noticed it while driving. It's still holding up well with no further sagging. Will be removing it this week as it's getting colder here now.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I’ve had the Temai shade on for a few days now. The fabric is so tight it doesn’t sag, but there is some space above it to the glass because the glass curves upward. Unlike many Amazon ones that have loose fabric. However this means that a magnet should not be used with Temai since it would stretch the material. Only downside is no grey color to match the headliner, though they said they are looking into it.

Going to be hard for someone to develop an easy install shade that will not sag because of how the roof curves. I also thought about tinting my roof but just did not want to spend $$$ for something I only need for 3-4 months of the year. I have a buddy who lives in Central Valley who tinted his roof, and said tinting his roof did help but not fully to what he was expecting. He said it still gets hot and can feel the sun when it's on top of his head.

I have had my sunshade by ThinsNGo for a few months straight now. Even with the minimal sag I never really noticed it while driving. It's still holding up well with no further sagging. Will be removing it this week as it's getting colder here now.
Part of the problem is that no matter what tint you use, the glass will still get hot and that heat will radiate into the car. A sunshade essentially creates an air gap between the glass sunroof and the fabric, blocking that radiation. That’s why a sunshade will almost always be better than any tinting, unless you absolutely have to see the sky above you.

Well with the high heat lasting from end of May through end of October around here, I'm willing to try anything. I guess I will first try one of the sun shades. If that doesn't work then I'll add a layer of good window film - something with a super high TSER like the Spectra PhotoSync.

I was actually surprised how effective the OEM heat rejection was, here in NJ, where we regularly have 90+, high humidity days in the summer. My wife's 2009 MINI Cooper has the panoramic sunroof with a retractable shade (although it's more a series of holes rather than a solid shade), and I've been very uncomfortable in that car - until I bought a solid shade this year (actually 2 pieces since the sunroof is actually two separate pieces). My MY has sat in the driveway this year until I cleared a space for it in the garage, and the A/C was very effective at cooling the car. I can feel the heat if I put my hand up next to the glass, but it doesn't seem to bake the top of my head. I found it very comfortable this summer so am going to forgo getting a shade as I like the view.

Part of the problem is that no matter what tint you use, the glass will still get hot and that heat will radiate into the car. A sunshade essentially creates an air gap between the glass sunroof and the fabric, blocking that radiation. That’s why a sunshade will almost always be better than any tinting, unless you absolutely have to see the sky above you.
I agree. The glass doesn't let through much heat at all but it absorbs a ton and is really hot after parking in the sun. A few minutes of driving with the air to cool it off and it's comfortable again. I don't think a tint will help but have no personal experience. There are plenty of owners that do report an increase in comfort after tinting the roof.