Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been clicking religiously over the past several Thursday night into Friday's in the hope it would be released. I guess I'll be doin the same again this SUnday night going into Monday. Fingers crossed.
No reason to wear out your finger. Get a free app like Change Detection on Google Play. Set it up and you'll get a message when there are changes on the MY Australia page.
This app has no ads and it is free.

I'm not holding my breath regarding the 15th, but who knows...

Reactions: Electric Mouse
I have no issues with 6.9s. Especially if it means bigger battery/longer range :)

But it would be cool if we could, you know, order it..
Agree. I wonder how the 0-60 km/h compared to the previous motor. There are only limited places we can do 0-100 (e.g., accellerate from stop on a motorway), but plenty of opportunities to utilise 0-60.

I gave up and ordered the base Model 3 yesterday. It's not ideal for my need, but I really want to stop pumping fossil fuel into my car. I'll probably miss the ultra long range during long trips (>1000kms on 60l of diesel). Looking forward for different experience using supercharger stops.

It’s pretty obvious what’s happened here. The SR is popular, too popular. And probably stealing sales from the AWD models. Hence they’ve gimped performance to prod buyers towards the more expensive model.

It’s market segmentation.

Reactions: Chuq
SR model Y becomes the Model Y and a 6.9s 0-100km
Saw this and its has pushed me towards the LR Y. Exactly as they had planned i imagine. The 3 and Y are starting to look a lot more like the competition these days. They used to have better 0-60 times by almost 2secs and bigger batteries but now they are just on par with the likes of the equivalent models from other manufacturers.

It’s pretty obvious what’s happened here. The SR is popular, too popular. And probably stealing sales from the AWD models. Hence they’ve gimped performance to prod buyers towards the more expensive model.

It’s market segmentation.
I think that’s a stretch if not borderline “conspiracy theory”. It‘s a way to save on build cost, exchaging insane acceleration for acceleration that is perfectly good enough for 99% of daily driving.

6.9 seconds, which is where most mid size mass market ev’s are heading, allows less batteries for the same range. Its therefore cheaper to build.
That doesn't seem to be borne out with the SR+/RWD where the 'unicorn' builds seem to show that it's simply a motor/inverter change that is reducing the acceleration, the same range is also available with the faster acceleration using the same battery size.

The less powerful motor/inverters are presumably cheaper to build, though.

Honestly I agree. The rumours do not match the actions of Tesla. Certifying a vehicle so far in advance of its delivery makes no sense. The certification approval is public and costly. It would seem vagarious to undertake such a process without intending to sell.

And also despite the "severe" parts supply shortage, Tesla continues to send us boatloads of the Model 3. We know that the Model 3 and Model Y share 75% of the same parts. Something clearly doesn't add up.
Tesla got bit with the X; certification took so long they had heaps of Xs in storage waiting so they could sell them.
Just an abundance of caution. It's a race to see whether we see the Y or the Plaid first...

• Funny
Reactions: Leeroy
For the peeps that are refreshing your browser every now and then for the Y, will you pick 19 or 20" wheels?
Not sure how uncomfortable it is with the 20", especially on our roads here.
In my eye, the 20 looks better but if it's (very) uncomfortable - I'd probably choose the 19

For the peeps that are refreshing your browser every now and then for the Y, will you pick 19 or 20" wheels?
Not sure how uncomfortable it is with the 20", especially on our roads here.
In my eye, the 20 looks better but if it's (very) uncomfortable - I'd probably choose the 19
Im also on the fence. Love the turbine look but all the reviews talk about how bad the ride quality is with the 20s.

Maybe it’ll have the air suspension by the time we get it in aus…. That’ll alleviate all those ride problems

Is air suspension definately a confirmed thing thats coming? TBH I am actually suprised Tesla hasn't started offering at least magnetic dampers as an option, especially on the sports models (along with real sports seats options), the ability to change from sporty to comfy suspension is very nice. However, with so much demand, they currently have no need to make changes to sell cars. Their is definately more put into developing a specific sporting sedan in BMW M3 than a Teslas Performance Model 3, and its a shame. Still $70k cheaper.