Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did this occur with 3 Series sedans when BMW first released the X3 suv? Would be an interesting case to analyse.
IIRC "osbourning" is when people hold off their purchases waiting for the new version of something. So when BMW released their X3 and it kills 3 sales, that isn't osbourne effect per se, its more cannibalisation.

I know from personal experience, there are people who would have waited for the model Y but instead went for the model 3 because it was immediately available and no timeframe for Y exists.

Plastic trim over wheel arches and under doors.
Based on the range in the Chinese site, appears the Y SR might have a slightly larger battery than the 3 SR.
Now the plastic trim I hadn't noticed, but from the pics on the Tesla website I can see the black trim there... will have to check some YouTube vids in detail later!

Is the range related to variations in test cycle measurement? (I think China, like everything else, has their own test cycle).

Believe China uses NEDC (or something equivalent). Given all the China variants use unique batteries (CATL and LG) I assume all the tests have been done in China.

The Y LR and P are 20-30km shorter than the 3 equivalent, which is why some have speculated a slightly larger battery pack in the Y SR.

IIRC "osbourning" is when people hold off their purchases waiting for the new version of something.

It must be said, there's little evidence that that's happening in the AU market with the 3 and the Y.

People know the Y is coming.

Yet Tesla is selling stupendous numbers of Model 3's in Australia this year.

It's on track to outsell the combined total of BMW 3 series + Merc C class this year. Maybe even add in Audi A4 as well.

I made this post on another forum, thought it may be worth a mention here if anyone can think of any additions...

I'm trying to work out the actual differences between the 3 SR+ and Y SR.

I remember when the Y was first launched it had the black trim, heat pump etc. and the 3 was old style, but since the 3 was updated to match at the start of this year, googling for this sort of thing comes up with a few outdated articles/videos. Only the Shanghai manufactured vehicles have LFP batteries, as I understand it, so again googling brings up info that isn't always relevant to Australian customers.

As it stands the obvious differences are:
  • Hatch opening
  • Increased storage space
  • Increased head room
  • Higher ride height
Other differences are:
  • 3-section folding rear seats
  • SR has premium interior as standard (incl. premium audio, fog lights, heated seats etc)
  • Glass roof sections are split differently
  • Secondary shallow under-boot storage area
  • Rear seat fold down switches
  • 12V outlet in boot
  • Bioweapon defence mode
Options available:
  • 7 seater
I'm sure there's more, any ideas?
Model Y has the HEPA filter.

Where will the first slither of evidence be on the availability of the Model Y in Australia? Will it appear on a database on a government website somewhere? Vehicle certification, ANCAP testing results or something like that?
If my memory serves me correctly, the order for the model 3 was first we put our deposit down. 3 years later we were able to place an order on our reservation, and a month or 2 later it started showing up on vehicle certifications and a few arrived in Australia for testing and media test drives etc then a month or so later we all got our cars.

So the first thing I think will be the website allowing us to order, then after that we will start seeing all of the other things like ancap tests etc.
But don't hold me to that exact order of things. It has been 2 years and all I can now remember is ATO (After Tesla Ownership)

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok and Chuq

Includes this:
Production of the right-hand-drive 2022 Tesla Model Y has begun at the company's Chinese factory, with Australian deliveries expected in late 2021.
Tesla has yet to confirm exact dates locally, but speaking to Drive, one customer says they have been told to expect to receive their Model Y before the end of the year.
The timing aligns with information obtained by Drive earlier this year, with service centres told the vehicle will likely land in Australian showrooms in either late 2021 or early 2022.

But of course there is no source as to who this customer is, or any way to confirm what was said.

Not even sure how they be a customer as they can't even order them here yet. In any case, being the first adopter for the Model 3 here I certainly hope they have fixed their issues. Was a bit of a hassle. But I imagine now that they are doing high volume deliveries it will be much better.