Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"A source who has asked to remain unnamed but who has contacts with Tesla staff in Hong Kong and China has told The Driven that an Australian launch will be delayed until early in Q2, 2022 because demand for the Model Y is proving to be so high in China."
Mmmmkay… and in 2018 “Tesla staff” at the Martin Place store told me there were 70,000 reservations for Model 3 in Australia.

So, you know, treat this stuff with the skepticism it deserves. “Tesla staff” could be anyone making up anything.

The Email that some of us received back in early September with the "Meet Model Y" Headline doesn't really make a lot of sense if the import has been delated to Q2 next year.

Unless of course it's a fairly recent decision... which could be possible also.

Reactions: positiv
With the risk of having my post overanalyze by fanboys with answers to everything, I can only express the obvious.

Hilarious. Please let me know this time next year if Tesla have "lost" the Australian market for Model Y. The race isn't the "launch first". Shipping 500 units per quarter and selling at 2.5x the adjusted price is not winning. The Model Y will be sent over here in volume and be incredibly cost competitive when it launches.

Sorry. But it is not Tesla vs BMW. It is Tesla vs the rest of the market. It is called market share.

Australia seems nonexistent to Tesla judging by the latest news. Delivery of Model Y Q2/Q3 2022? That's more than 9 months from now.
You can plan, manufacture and deliver a baby in that time! A car takes hours to build and they build 1000s per day. It's a matter of prioritising.

About 1% of cars sold are EV in Oz 2020.
In Norway you have 82% of all new cars sold being EV for Q1 & Q2 2021. Hostile (read incompetent) politicians in Australia? Absolutely. But that is the only thing we can agree on.

Some say Oz is remote and it's all about USA and Europe.
Wrong! In bloody cold Iceland more than 50% of all cars sold in Q1 & Q2 are EV. They are second after Norway! And how remote are they in the middle of the north Atlantic? Google Iceland and you'll find out.

Market dominance? 60% of new EVs sold in Oz are Tesla. So you think that Tesla will keep dominance 9 months from now when you have over 10 brands coming to Australia in Q4 2021 and Q1 2022? A one car company which barely got M3 on track? How naive!! Do you think all those other ICE companies will just "roll over and die"? I wish. But they won't.

Do you think holding off a product for 9 months when competition is picking up is good for business in the local market. That is totally absurd. You don't have to be in business to realize how illogical and irrational that suggestion is.

You say that model Y is the iPhone effect? Tesla is now where iPhone was when Android was taking over (read the other manufacturers + the Chinese). The edge is getting blunt. Why do you think they are pumping cars to Europe? To build market share! But in Australia? Zilch. Nada. Zero!

Tesla is great, but without products to buy HERE and SOON, the math is simple. Tesla may have a superior product, but don't bet on it staying that way for long. People will buy their favourite "family" brands and may even find other cars in the same price range as Tesla. The distance is shrinking. And if the news is correct, Tesla placed Oz among the bottom feeders. Not cool.

And people! Don't call M3 a hatchback. IT HAS NO HATCH! Someone just forgot to put it in! SUV or not!

But fanboys have a great reasoning for that: Experimenting. Lol! How cute. 🤣

With the risk of having my post overanalyze by fanboys with answers to everything, I can only express the obvious.

Sorry. But it is not Tesla vs BMW. It is Tesla vs the rest of the market. It is called market share.

Australia seems nonexistent to Tesla judging by the latest news. Delivery of Model Y Q2/Q3 2022? That's more than 9 months from now.
You can plan, manufacture and deliver a baby in that time! A car takes hours to build and they build 1000s per day. It's a matter of prioritising.

In Norway you have 82% of all new cars sold being EV for Q1 & Q2 2021. Hostile (read incompetent) politicians in Australia? Absolutely. But that is the only thing we can agree on.

Wrong! In bloody cold Iceland more than 50% of all cars sold in Q1 & Q2 are EV. They are second after Norway! And how remote are they in the middle of the north Atlantic? Google Iceland and you'll find out.

Market dominance? 60% of new EVs sold in Oz are Tesla. So you think that Tesla will keep dominance 9 months from now when you have over 10 brands coming to Australia in Q4 2021 and Q1 2022? A one car company which barely got M3 on track? How naive!! Do you think all those other ICE companies will just "roll over and die"? I wish. But they won't.

Do you think holding off a product for 9 months when competition is picking up is good for business in the local market. That is totally absurd. You don't have to be in business to realize how illogical and irrational that suggestion is.

You say that model Y is the iPhone effect? Tesla is now where iPhone was when Android was taking over (read the other manufacturers + the Chinese). The edge is getting blunt. Why do you think they are pumping cars to Europe? To build market share! But in Australia? Zilch. Nada. Zero!

Tesla is great, but without products to buy HERE and SOON, the math is simple. Tesla may have a superior product, but don't bet on it staying that way for long. People will buy their favourite "family" brands and may even find other cars in the same price range as Tesla. The distance is shrinking. And if the news is correct, Tesla placed Oz among the bottom feeders. Not cool.

And people! Don't call M3 a hatchback. IT HAS NO HATCH! Someone just forgot to put it in! SUV or not!

What a rambling incoherent mess of a post this is. Apart from trying to dismiss me as a "fanboy" what is your actual point?

I never said it was BMW (or any other mfr) v Tesla. I've always maintained its Tesla v ICE.

60% of "EV" market share is a meaningless metric. Very few people go out and specifically want to buy a Tesla (or any other EV). People look at what vehicles are available right now that meet their needs for their budget. Nonetheless, the reason Tesla will maintain a ~60% share of new EVs sold in Australia is *not* because they will outsell other EVs. The reason is that other EVs are not going to be available in any meaningful numbers and most buyers will opt for the comparative ICE or even worse, comparative Hybrid. Additionally, you are severely over estimating the volume of legacy EV imports over the next 12 months.

For example, take the MG ZS EV. There are ~80 available to buy right now across Australia. Price is $45k drive away. Compare that to the exact same car (MG ZS with a petrol engine)... ~2,300 available right now for $25k drive away. Who is going to voluntarily chose a car that's twice as expensive just to have the inconvenience of an EV?

Similar story for the Hyundai Kona. EV variant: ~60 available in Australia @ $60k. Petrol variant: ~650 available @ $30k. Its the exact same car apart from the drive train. Turning to the luxury car makers: BMW ix4 and Merc EQC are $150k with 3 month wait (obviously will turn out much longer) and their respective ICE siblings are priced at half that and available right now.

My point is this: yes the competition for an EV Compact SUV exists on paper in Australia. However the volumes being sold are incredibly small because of supply and demand issues. Tesla on the other hand as enormous demand for Model Y in Australia because it represents outstanding value for money.

Also you do realise that all manufacturers treat Australia like "bottom feeders" as you put it? We have the worst emissions standards so it behoves manufacturers to allocate as many compliance EVs to EU, China, US where the emissions standards are much stricter to avoid penalties. All the displaced ICE can then be routed to the bottom feeders of Australia where there is no incentive to offer EV over ICE.

Are you completely delusional? Who has ever said that the Model 3 is hatchback?

You can call me a fanboy if you want, but your iPhone vs Android example doesn't prove the point you're trying to make. Actually, it contradicts it. Apple's current share of worldwide smartphone market is just 15% if you count by the number of units sold, but they have about 40% of revenue and 70% of profits. As a shareholder I'd be deliriously happy if Tesla ends up raking in 40% of the $4T annual automotive revenue.

Automotive industry is different though. There's a lot more inertia, so the transition is likely to take longer. OTOH it makes it much harder for startups to enter the market and nearly impossible for incumbents to pivot.

Reactions: Chuq

Hmm, chrome trim? Must be stock images from the first Fremont Model Ys. [Edit: I'm wrong! see replies below] Notice all the pics are identical so likely not actual photos of the units tested.

Last edited:
I know this is all speculative, but what was the timing between the Model 3 receiving government approval and pre-orders opening?
You're definitely not the first person to ask :)

It was about a week!

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
I know this is all speculative, but what was the timing between the Model 3 receiving government approval and pre-orders opening?
Without going back through the entrails of the Model 3 in Australia thread, which I think had a similar post when Model 3 received local approval, my recollection was it was a short time before orders opened - a couple of weeks - not months.