Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the Tesla rep actually has no idea, unless the Tesla Rep you were speaking to was Elon or Robyn, and even then plans can and do change month to month if not week to week.

It doesn’t make sense to me they’d do the steps they are doing now for Model Y in Australia, and then either not open the configuator, or open it and have delivery dates a year away. Not impossible of course (indeed my earlier post said that is possible, somewhat tongue in cheek) but I think unlikely.

Once I visited the Martin Place store in Sydney in 2018 and the rep there told me that there were 70,000 reservations for Model 3 in Australia. Which was total bovine excrement.

So take any Tesla rep comments with grains of salt and all that.

I agree, I don't think any rep would know. Its just a guess, but I beleive when Berlin opens, even RHD cars for the UK and Ireland will come from Berlin. This will then free up capacity for RHD Y's to come from Shanghai to serve the RHD asian markets (Japan/Singapore/Australia/NZ). Australia just isn't a priority at the moment. I think early 2022 assuming all things going wll at Berlin. Still hoping for a RWD standard range Y option. Its a better use of cells at this point.

The ppl working at tesla aus know less about the timings of releases than ppl in these forums ;P.. tesla is stupid to not take deposits now for model Y for AU/NZ market and yet can pay $150 for a cybertruck??! mad some of the things tesla does seriously
I agree. The Tesla Aus sales staff probably have no clue. Tesla is a fairly secretive company and controls this information tightly.

It's weird how they won't take pre-orders for the MY yet, and yet the Cybertruck has been available for reservation since 2019 (!?!). I suspect they are somewhat disorganised internally.

It's weird how they won't take pre-orders for the MY yet, and yet the Cybertruck has been available for reservation since 2019 (!?!). I suspect they are somewhat disorganised internally.
Well, there’s no such thing as a ‘pre-order’. There is either a reservation, or an order.

Cybertruck might be the last time Tesla ever has a ‘reservation’ process - which is pretty meaningless anyway, because the dollar amount is small and refundable.

Don't you hate it.. when you check the Model Y order page (as you normally do 2 or 3 times a day) and it says "Order now"... then after a few seconds it refreshes and says "Stay updated", revealing that it had accidentally captured another countries' version of the site first time round... honestly it makes my heart skip a beat!

• Funny
Reactions: positiv and Vostok
Don't you hate it.. when you check the Model Y order page (as you normally do 2 or 3 times a day) and it says "Order now"... then after a few seconds it refreshes and says "Stay updated", revealing that it had accidentally captured another countries' version of the site first time round... honestly it makes my heart skip a beat!
I did this exact thing yesterday when all the international sites were being updated with the new ranges estimates.

Also read this morning that base model 3 and Ys now have a 10+ month wait in the US. They really need to get Austin and Berlin online and ramp production.

I reckon the reason they have’t launched it here (in the sense of opening up online orders) is more practical… move all the M3 stocks first :)
I thought this was the case last quarter because they had that large shipment and everyone held off on taking orders because of the September 1 EV incentives (at least in NSW) but then nothing happened.

There are also a tonne of cars showing in inventory again now which are the ones for the boat that arrives on the 7th. Interestingly though, there are no white SR+ with plain aeros and black interior.

can you clarify what you mean here @Vedaprime

If there are no Ys until Spring 2022 just put us out of our misery 🥺

The message reads what it says.
The northern hemisphere has the right political climate for Tesla to go into full bloom and reap the harvest.

Australia is not ready. This may be until the climate (Morrison) makes a similar pledge to EV industry and the market is ready.

I've come to understand Vedaprime knows his things. It only reinforces what I've heard, not from the sales rep Tom, Dick or Harry, but much higher up. Model Y 2022 Q3 earliest, but most likely Q4. I don't want to get shot down again.. There are so many experts here...

I dedicate the following words to @Vedaprime
"I reap the harvests in the rich northern soil. Alas, the barren south is yet to be prime"

Reactions: Vedaprime
I agree with you GrimRe, I've been sitting here waiting forever and a day for them to release the model y. Why cant Tesla just give us an official expected quarter when it will be released. Been holding off on an M3P and could of bought that a few months ago when there was stock and been enjoying the thing. Quite frustrating...especially since withdrawing from the purchase of a limited edition mustang mach1 since earlier in the year to go EV. Also, doesn't make sense they would go through getting the compliance done if they're not releasing it soon. Come on Tesla...release the model Y already...I even went as far as tweeting elon the other day asking him the question. Until then, I'm stuck with the dilemma of going for a M3P when stock is available or keep waiting for the MYP. Rant over...😣

Last edited:
I think the market is definitely ready.

I’d love to agree with you, but this forum is early adopters mostly and are converted regardless of the market. So WE’RE ready. 😂

I still continually get asked about the range issue, it’s actually become annoying. I don’t think until there are charge stations as frequent as petrol stations, will the EV market be able to shake this. The market may still have doubts. Couple that with NO DAMN TOWBAR. 😡

I’d love to agree with you, but this forum is early adopters mostly and are converted regardless of the market. So WE’RE ready. 😂

I still continually get asked about the range issue, it’s actually become annoying. I don’t think until there are charge stations as frequent as petrol stations, will the EV market be able to shake this. The market may still have doubts. Couple that with NO DAMN TOWBAR. 😡
I just refuelled my 2001 Holden Astra, which is relatively fuel efficient - got 550km out of the tank with a mix of highway and light urban driving (Central Coast) over about 3 weeks. The M3 LR has a published range of over 600km, and it’d be constantly topped up at home. What range issues? I guess folks think of that one long road trip in 10 years they did, and worry about being able to do that.

Anyway, I’ve been waiting to replace the Astra with an MY - but I think I can’t hold strong anymore, will likely order an M3 LR soon. If I’m unhappy with the form factor, I can always trade it in a few years down the line. I was worried about the storage space, the Astra is surprising roomy with the seats down since it’s a hatch, but I think apart from the opening the M3 will still be bigger. At least that’s how I’m justifying not waiting another 6+ months!

@Vedaprime has very good knowledge of all things Tesla but i have to doubt him on this occasion when speaking about the Y.

It doesnt make sense to certify a vehicle then wait 12 months to bring it to market. They could have just waited till March next year to begin certification. We are basically the only country without the Y now. It is available to order everywhere but Australia and NZ (and maybe 1 or 2 other Tesla markets). All signs point to at least orders opening soon.

I also recommend a group effort of tweeting at Tesla and Elon to show them how much we want the Y.