Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The
There's no problem with two car seats in a Model 3. Not sure about the double pram though, it'd probably depend a lot on the exact shape when it's folded.
The boot is pretty spectacularly deep, and the well under the boot floor will hold a lot. The only downside is the opening to the boot is a bit narrow and restricts access for stuff that otherwise might fit.

The

The boot is pretty spectacularly deep, and the well under the boot floor will hold a lot. The only downside is the opening to the boot is a bit narrow and restricts access for stuff that otherwise might fit.
Agreed. I have been able to fit a double mountain buggy pram easily in the back with plenty of space available. Car seats also have more room for the kids than in an Audi Q3.

In saying this, there are things i need with the Y that the 3 doesnt offer. The boot opening I need from the Y because i need that space in the boot to be able to change a little one (this cant be done in the frunk, ive tried).

Reactions: Hairyman
Agreed. I have been able to fit a double mountain buggy pram easily in the back with plenty of space available. Car seats also have more room for the kids than in an Audi Q3.

In saying this, there are things i need with the Y that the 3 doesnt offer. The boot opening I need from the Y because i need that space in the boot to be able to change a little one (this cant be done in the frunk, ive tried).
Fair enough. Changing a child in an M3 boot would be hard

XC40 Recharge is horribly inefficient and the inside looks like old man turned into cars.

I had a test drive of the Geely Volvo XC40 Recharge AWD on the weekend just past. It's a really nice small BEV, but it's not what I expected from a Volvo - it's nice inside but it's just a generic mid spec car with a clunky android tablet interface. Certainly no sign of Scandinavian design influence just a sea of black and mostly hard plastic with a matte finish in places to make it look classier than it is. It's a bit of a tomb if you have the sunroof blind closed.

But it drove really well, was AWD, had decent room and a decent boot. If you were thinking of one and had younger kids I'd definitely test fit seats as the rear door aperture is a little small. Having changed many nappies in the back of a Forester in my time I can say I'd be just as happy using the XC40 for that.

At $81k, and the next shipment due in Australia mid next year, you might as well put down a (apparently fully refundable) 2k deposit, and if by June we don't have a Y LR then pay the remainder and get the XC40.

I already have a 3P from 2019 and I'm now needing more cars with more drivers (and especially needing cars that P platers can drive which the 3P is not), it's a way better choice than the MG (at nearly twice the price), but with 8 months to next shipment they might as well not bother if the Y can get here in quantity and in time. If you could drive one away today and could afford it I think you'd like it a lot. I'm guessing the 81k on road won't make it overly competitive against a Y LR AWD either.

Personally I can wait, but for my Dad who was shopping to replace his previous gen Tiguan it would be a great choice, if the Y never comes. Yes it's less efficient but it's not much worse than what I get in my 3P (222 in the Geely vs 190 in the 3P), and for a city run-about with ease of entry/exit for the more motion limited it's a good choice. The inefficiency is nothing compared to buying a new fossil car in 2022 anyway.

Can't bring the Y here fast enough, but neither can the alternatives, so it's a dead loss all around at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: moa999
Its not looking good for us unless HK have a limited allocation and that has been exhausted.

I was under the impression the UK will be getting Ys from Berlin as will the rest of the EU (Shanghai until Berlin is up to speed) and that Asian will get theres from Shanghai and this includes Australia.
Reckon the same although UK may just end up with MY from Berlin (LR and P only with tow bar option) - and AUS will be more in line with HK for MY (so will get Rear motor only option, LR, and P (but maybe no tow bar option - end up being third party options only like M3).

Hopefully Tesla can tailor their OEM tow bar option for AUS market (done at SC prior to or post delivery) - that would mean both M3 and MY.. fingers crossed it actually does happen

Reactions: Nathanwhalan
Reckon the same although UK may just end up with MY from Berlin (LR and P only with tow bar option) - and AUS will be more in line with HK for MY (so will get Rear motor only option, LR, and P (but maybe no tow bar option - end up being third party options only like M3).

Hopefully Tesla can tailor their OEM tow bar option for AUS market (done at SC prior to or post delivery) - that would mean both M3 and MY.. fingers crossed it actually does happen
Apart from the UK, most of the RHD market is in Asia and southern parts of Africa (source - eyeballing the map on Left- and right-hand traffic - Wikipedia). It would possibly make sense to keep making all RHD cars in Shanghai, and stick to just LHD in Berlin. But I have no idea how much duplication / overhead / hassle it is for Tesla to switch between LHD/RHD production.

Well I guess you can view this as good things come to those who wait.

Apart from the UK, most of the RHD market is in Asia and southern parts of Africa (source - eyeballing the map on Left- and right-hand traffic - Wikipedia). It would possibly make sense to keep making all RHD cars in Shanghai, and stick to just LHD in Berlin. But I have no idea how much duplication / overhead / hassle it is for Tesla to switch between LHD/RHD production.
Should just go centre driving position and make one car for everyone

One would think it would be exceptionally easy to have a RHD/LHD Setup.
I've heard that LHD/RHD vehicles were made on the same line and they can swap from LHD to RHD quite easily.

That's not to say that different regions don't have other varying requirements, which can make production for different regions easy. e.g. some countries have different legal requirements on tail light/indicator light colour. United States doesn't have regulations about seat belt release buttons, whereas in Europe they must be orange, etc. Vehicles produced for the Chinese domestic market have badges with Chinese writing etc.

Is it only my wife starting to get really angry at that "Stay Updated" button for MY? She says it must be the most useless button in mankind's history!

I'm starring to think she may be right.
I'd have to agree. It makes it even more annoying that every other Tesla market can place an order, even in the UK which looks like deliveries are dependant on Berlin and that mf factory still hasnt got approval. Texas will be online before Berlin.