Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a rumour that March 2022 will be the biggest production month yet for Giga Shanghai. This could be a good indicator that the a RHD batch will be made around then. In early Q1 there will be a lot of holiday shut downs in Shanghai and huge exports to EU.

I read a rumour that March 2022 will be the biggest production month yet for Giga Shanghai.
March (being the 3rd month in the quarter) would typically just be for China production so they can all be delivered by March 31.

I'd also be surprised if Tesla isn't impacted by supply chain problems resulting from the blue sky Beijing campaign for the Winter Olympics which is reportedly closing a lot of steel and aluminium refining operations in northern China.

So the configurator in Europe now says March deliveries along with reports customers have been advised deliveries will happen in March.

This would indicate production to start in late Feb/Early March which may then indicate they will know more around production numbers and possibly free up Shanghai meaning we could see Australian orders open in March for a Q2/Q3 delivery. Fingers crossed.

Can't remember where I read this: I thought that Q1/Q2 productions are for overseas delivery and Q3/Q4 are for domestic market. Unsure about the percentage, this is for Giga Shanghai.

If this is true then realistically we won't see it here until 2023?
I havent heard that before.

The first month of each quarter is for export production. You will see from all the recent vin assignments of 3s out of Shanghai that this matches. The last month of a quarter is traditionally reserved for domestic orders. The could still open orders in March (early March) to know how many they need to produce in the first few weeks of April.

Tesla only need to run about 1-2 weeks of right hand drive Model Y production to meet initial orders (they are producing a Model Y every 34 seconds at the moment).

I'm certainly hoping Tesla open up Model Y orders for Aus Q1 at best and Q2 at worst with deliveries in Q3/4 but it looks like they're trying to flog as many model 3 s to markets still waiting for model y before it gets cannibalised by model y demands.. also wouldn't be surprised model 3 prices to drop prior to model y orders opening for aus, nz, Japan, any remainder RHD markets in asia region if demand drops for model 3

I'm certainly hoping Tesla open up Model Y orders for Aus Q1 at best and Q2 at worst with deliveries in Q3/4 but it looks like they're trying to flog as many model 3 s to markets still waiting for model y before it gets cannibalised by model y demands.. also wouldn't be surprised model 3 prices to drop prior to model y orders opening for aus, nz, Japan, any remainder RHD markets in asia region if demand drops for model 3
Don’t think Tesla will drop price on M3, both M3 and Y price were increased couple times in China and US last couple months already. Considering the weak AUD now we are very lucky if the price not going up.

I was at the SC yesterday getting a sensor replaced and the sales guy in the office asked if I was interested in a Y. I replied of course I am but no good trying to sell me a car you don’t have for sale yet!! When’s the release date???? He said he’d loose his job if he told me that….. and to expect $100k ish for LR.

If sales staff are starting to point to it, surely it can’t be too far away! (I live in hope)

Reactions: Hairyman and Fazza
Price point probably would be a speculation.
Can't imagine 20k ish difference between ioniq 5 and mY
Highly likely speculation, but there’s an 8k difference between M3 and MY for long range in US$ right now. Close to 11.5k AU$ so it’s not implausible.

Current M3 LR is 79k here driveaway, so we’re at 90k comparatively already and we haven’t had the price rise like the US.
Who knows, just thought it was a glimmer of hope. 🤷🏻‍♂️