Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So take this with a huge grain of salt, but I have heard a rumour that orders will open after the Easter weekend.
Do you have a source?
True, but no guessing how long after. Maybe "soon" after, or "two weeks" after.
Very True. Berlin just delivered 30 vehicles and is expected to do more customer deliveries in April which may be before or around the Easter long weekend then maybe a couple of weeks after that (if we are lucky) our orders could open so then late April/early May. That would then place them in a Q3 or Q4 delivery window as rumoured.

Do you have a source?

Very True. Berlin just delivered 30 vehicles and is expected to do more customer deliveries in April which may be before or around the Easter long weekend then maybe a couple of weeks after that (if we are lucky) our orders could open so then late April/early May. That would then place them in a Q3 or Q4 delivery window as rumoured.

Source is a store employee so basically not very reliable at all.

Early May sounds about right to me.

Reactions: Nathanwhalan
...and in a very amusing aside, the only item in the features list that does not secure ADR "Full Compliance" is the "Fuel Consumption Labelling for Light Vehicles" one :)

Maybe we will see a MY soon. Maybe not. I still haven't given up on Tesla, but even if book opens up in May, my good friends stand firm. No delivery until Q3 earliest. They've been right so far. I said this last year in October when everyone was cheering for Giga Berlin. Look how long that took to get sorted.

Keep in mind that China has the same insane zero COVID policy Australia had. The shutdowns in Shanghai are huge. This affects transportation of raw materials and components to Gigafacrory, and finished cars sent to port. The backlog is huge in Shanghai. We haven't even seen the worst yet.

I've configured a Polestar with delivery in September. Tired of holding my breath. Not sure if that will be shipped... but need a second car. Can't wait longer.

If MY sales launches soon and delivery in Q3, I'll forfeit the 500 quid and go for MY. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tesla hasn't prioritized Australia and I'm not sure why they would do that now when the backlog will build up...and demand is super strong in Europe. Frankly, I feel disappointed.

All I can say is that Polestar is selling like butter. The cars just disappear. I never thought oil would make 120, but then who thought Putin would pull a monumentally idiotic, insane and brainless move. If anything good comes out of high Oil price, its people going EV. But what is happening in Ukraine is unforgivable.

A direct result of the immense gas shortage looming when Germany will (hopefully from an ethical and moral obligation) refuse to pay for the gas in Russian Rubble Currency, the shortage will cause Giga Berlin to stall. With China trying to purge COVID, even more delays will occur...

What a mess...

Reactions: Wol747
Really weird. My RSS feed today had a link to an article from The Driven... with headline "Tesla Model Y electric crossover gains weight, new documents show" and first line "The Tesla Model has gone on sale in Australia starting at $69,420 for the Long Range version and $73,240 for the Performance variants."

First thought, based on the price of $69,420, was an April Fools article. I'm guessing it never made it up for whatever reason and accidentally was shared in the article feed today.

The link that it goes to is Tesla Model Y electric crossover gains weight, new documents show - nothing about the "its for sale" joke, mostly legit info about the ROVER update.

"Tesla Model Y electric crossover loses weight, new documents show

The Model Y SR now has a tare weight of 1.909 tonnes (previously 1.923 tonnes), and the Long Range weighs in at 1.979 tonnes (previously 1.981 tonnes). The Performance remains the same at 1.997 tonnes.

And instead, the Model Y SR has a gross vehicle mass of at 2.549 tonnes instead of a previous 2.313 tonnes, the Long Range’s GVM is 2.619 tonnes instead of a previous 2.371 tonnes and the Performance GVM is 2.634 tonnes instead of a previous 2.384 tonnes."

And article now corrected.