Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you think polestar are made

In Luqiao not Shanghai and Luqiao at the moment is not locked down...

Sichuan.png

Last edited:
Where do you think polestar are made

Well sweetie, it is China absolutely. Zhejiang Province (not Shanghai) for sure. And the PS2 cars are in Australia guaranteed.
Tesla on the other hand is stuck in Shanghai. With a much bigger market outside Australia screaming much louder. I don't think people realize how locked down Shanghai is.

Besides, by the looks of things, we won't get the LR edition anytime soon. Forking out 100K plus, then another 6-7K for suspension with a lower top range is ridiculous. It should have been P and LR. SR for city driving pops and moms.

Good luck to anyone. May you sit in a LR MY long before your money in the bank generates too much interest. At the moment, that doesn't seem to be the case. Good news, at least you will have accumulated some interest.

Savvy?

So given Shanghai will be closed till mid-May now and some reports now saying June, the Model Y isnt looking good for Australia in 2022.
Maybe Tesla can rethink their exports and send us stock from Fremont, Texas or Berlin???

I think they closed the RHD line in Fremont and sent all the RHD tooling to Shanghai. But yes, it would be good to remove the dependency on Shanghai. I guess Berlin is theoretically possible, since they are making RHD Y's there for the poms.

Reactions: Nathanwhalan
@ForFXsakes - addressing people as “sweetie” is clearly intended to be demeaning and dismissive.

The tone of the Tesla Australia forum is, by and large, very polite and respectful. Maybe you are used to less respectful forums, but please don’t pollute this one with snarky posts.

Dear Vostok. Thank you for your suggestion. Since you called my name out, I feel compelled to respond.

I merely reflected the polite and respectful attitude you refer to by responding to the poster using the very same specific word of endearment he used in a prior post. I assure you I never meant it to be any more polluting or snarky than he did.

However, unlike the other poster, I never went to name-calling.
I understand you may not have seen the deleted posts, or you would have not called out my name only. Every grown-up knows that if you intend to scold two unruly and misbehaving children, you scold them both, especially the one who's post's got deleted and got warned. Otherwise, you may come across as being biased, is that not so @Vostok ?! So let's all be polite and respectful and leave the policing (if ever needed again) to the moderator.

Meanwhile, nothing new on the Tesla front as expected. So unfortunately, we didn't miss that much in the 24 hour freeze. On the other hand, imagine if Tesla MY would have been released during the freeze... Good riddance, that would have been a total anti-climax.

This may very well be one of my last posts on this thread. Some of you may even feel relieved.

Unlike most of you, I have owned a MY and I love the car to bits, but work brought me over here and I had to sell it. We settled for a M3 as our first car in Australia because we needed something urgently. We have been hoping MY orders would open up ever since we landed.

I've been shot down before when I shared some insight quite a while ago of orders opening up in late Q2 2022 with delivery Q3 earliest. I'm not taking pride in being right, as I am in desperate need for an EV where I can put a double-pram into. I cannot do that with our current M3.

I have looked at every other choice and I have opted for another brand (unwillingly but out of necessity) as I cannot accept an ICE car. I won't write the name of it again, to avoid incurring acute allergic reactions.

However, what I've heard from people with insight at Tesla was that in Mid-March the plans were that MY was supposed to open up deliveries in early May. Orders would be 3-4 months away, taking us right into late Q3 and early Q4 which was the original dates I got in late 2021.

What I hear now from the same people is that MY will come Q4 2022 earliest, but most likely Q1-Q2 2023.

This is based on the fact that Shanghai (who last year produced half of Tesla's cars) have been shut down for almost three full working weeks. This means that almost 40.000 cars (both MY and M3) will not make it out. This is a huge number of ordered cars with a VIN attached to a customer already.

If this continues for another 1-2 weeks minimum, this means 60.000 or more cars failed to meet production. Since the Chinese government seems incredibly incompetent in specifics, but also in general, they won't give up on their plan as it will make them look stupid and weak. So expect more shutdowns.

So all in all, where do you think Australia fits in? Just be realistic. For you who can wait for a MY, good for you - you will get a fantastic car.
For those who can't wait, I hear you. And for the rest of you, don't make fun of us opting for another car as inferior or making a stupid choice.

Thank you and good luck.

Last edited:
This may very well be one of my last posts on this thread. Some of you may even feel relieved.

Unlike most of you, I have owned a MY and I love the car to bits, but work brought me over here and I had to sell it. We settled for a M3 as our first car in Australia because we needed something urgently. We have been hoping MY orders would open up ever since we landed.

I've been shot down before when I shared some insight quite a while ago of orders opening up in late Q2 2022 with delivery Q3 earliest. I'm not taking pride in being right, as I am in desperate need for an EV where I can put a double-pram into. I cannot do that with our current M3.

I have looked at every other choice and I have opted for another brand (unwillingly but out of necessity) as I cannot accept an ICE car. I won't write the name of it again, to avoid incurring acute allergic reactions.

However, what I've heard from people with insight at Tesla was that in Mid-March the plans were that MY was supposed to open up deliveries in early May. Orders would be 3-4 months away, taking us right into late Q3 and early Q4 which was the original dates I got in late 2021.

What I hear now from the same people is that MY will come Q4 2022 earliest, but most likely Q1-Q2 2023.

This is based on the fact that Shanghai (who last year produced half of Tesla's cars) have been shut down for almost three full working weeks. This means that almost 40.000 cars (both MY and M3) will not make it out. This is a huge number of ordered cars with a VIN attached to a customer already.

If this continues for another 1-2 weeks minimum, this means 60.000 or more cars failed to meet production. Since the Chinese government seems incredibly incompetent in specifics, but also in general, they won't give up on their plan as it will make them look stupid and weak. So expect more shutdowns.

So all in all, where do you think Australia fits in? Just be realistic. For you who can wait for a MY, good for you - you will get a fantastic car.
For those who can't wait, I hear you. And for the rest of you, don't make fun of us opting for another car as inferior or making a stupid choice.

Thank you and good luck.
Dont leave us. While you have chosen another vehicle, you seem to have the best connections and best insight into Australian Y orders/delivery. At this stage I would be happy to be able to place an order.

Thank you and good luck.

I’d love to know what you decided upon, I’ve had 3x Tesla and love the mission but would buy a competing brand without issue…