Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New. Numbers are out from troy teslike

Q4 is interesting as M Y production numbers gone up for RoW
That Q4 increase of 1000 units is what i have been relying on for Australian Y orders opening in Q2/Q3/

The significant reduction in Q2 which was 5000 and is now 2000 is the concern because they might take some of our potential allocation to other markets.

I almost put my money down for a new Subaru WRX Sportswagon a month ago, but since then have decided to get a Tesla.
So I join the MY waiting group :) .. hoping that some news come by end of June, if not will most probably order a M3.
You'll find plenty of friendly support on these forums for that decision. I think it's a good one too. I bought an M3 with a view to getting a Y in the future. This was in early 2021. The M3 has turned out just fine for my use case, although I think the SUV form factor still would have been better. However MY in Australia is MIA.
FWIW I used to drive a WRX and then an SS-V ute. The M3 is utterly superior to all of those, in the areas that matter to me. It's seriously no contest at all.

Good luck and welcome...........

If the M3 delivery was 2-3 months then I will order 1 now and wait for the Y. But given it is 6-9 months, and probably longer, I feel I should give it couple of more months to see if the orders for Y open up.

I did test drive a M3 LR over the weekend and loved it.

Order the M3 and cancel it if the Y comes onboard....I assume one can cancel the M3 orders right up until the last minute still?

Order the M3 and cancel it if the Y comes onboard....I assume one can cancel the M3 orders right up until the last minute still?
Yes, that is what the sales agent suggested as well.
But the M3 order fee is not refundable or transferable. So just the order fee will be $700 then. Which as I understand doesn't reduce from the final price as well.
If it was $150, I might have gone for it. Yes, $350 compared to the 70k vehicle price is not much :) , but I can probably get few accessories using that money :)

Yes, that is what the sales agent suggested as well.
But the M3 order fee is not refundable or transferable. So just the order fee will be $700 then. Which as I understand doesn't reduce from the final price as well.
If it was $150, I might have gone for it. Yes, $350 compared to the 70k vehicle price is not much :) , but I can probably get few accessories using that money :)

Not many accessories ;)

Still (im)patiently waiting. I was reading that the Kia EV6 won COTY 2022 by Wheels and was feeling unloved by Tesla and googled it but I still just want the Y (long range or perforrmance to get long range).
If you placed an order for the EV6 today, I still think you'll get a Model Y before your EV6. Kia allocates them in very limited numbers to our market.

• Disagree
Reactions: ForFXsakes
If you placed an order for the EV6 today, I still think you'll get a Model Y before your EV6. Kia allocates them in very limited numbers to our market.
Nonsense. Heard the same thing about Ionic 5 in October last year on this forum, when speculations were high that MY would open orders and deliver for Xmas or January latest... too painful to remember? I said Q2 2022 earliest. Most likely Q3.

Just the other day I saw two Ionic 5s in CBD. How many MY? Zero.

Reality check. For the last 7 weeks a fraction of cars manufactured and zero cars shipped out of Shanghai. From today, GigaShanghai is shut down and will remain shut because of lack of parts. The few people who slept at work and put cars together are now stuck in the factory and have no purpose. They can't even go home and risk state quarantine.

There are huge volumes of orders earmarked for months to come once Shanghai opens. By the looks of it, it may take weeks before it opens. Good luck with logistics in the port. There are thousands of containers with rotting food. Backlog?!!! 6 months minimum to catch up with for Tesla.

Send your thank-you cards to all-knowing Xi and the almighty People's Communist Party who singlehandedly will kill COVID.

By the way, Ionic is manufactured in Seoul. Their port is open. I'm quite sure their cars will be delivered long before MY.

So...count on a handful EV manufacturers hitting the shores here before MY. I'd be surprised to see order books open before Xmas. THIS year.

Savvy...

Reality check. For the last 7 weeks a fraction of cars manufactured and zero cars shipped out of Shanghai. From today, GigaShanghai is shut down and will remain shut because of lack of parts. The few people who slept at work and put cars together are now stuck in the factory and have no purpose. They can't even go home and risk state quarantine.

Send your thank-you cards to all-knowing Xi and the almighty People's Communist Party who singlehandedly will kill COVID.

By the way, Ionic is manufactured in Seoul. Their port is open. I'm quite sure their cars will be delivered long before MY.
That is an interesting point you make here.

Tesla has taken a significant gamble with the Giga-Shanghai factory. China has an advantage in production costs. But investments in non-democratic countries also carry significant business risks that investments in USA/Germany/South Korea do not. The authoritarian approach to Covid (Covid-Zero) is an example of this and will be undermining the supposed advantages of Tesla's Chinese investment.

What this means for the Model Y is anyone's guess. But we know that the Model 3 and Model Y share many parts. I don't think there's any logical reason to further delay the Model Y and keep selling the Model 3 when the parts delay would affect them both.

Nonsense. Heard the same thing about Ionic 5 in October last year on this forum, when speculations were high that MY would open orders and deliver for Xmas or January latest... too painful to remember? I said Q2 2022 earliest. Most likely Q3.

There are huge volumes of orders earmarked for months to come once Shanghai opens. By the looks of it, it may take weeks before it opens. Good luck with logistics in the port. There are thousands of containers with rotting food. Backlog?!!! 6 months minimum to catch up with for Tesla.

So...count on a handful EV manufacturers hitting the shores here before MY. I'd be surprised to see order books open before Xmas. THIS year.

Savvy...
Good thing Berlin and Austin up and running .. who knows Tesla might manufacture some for Aus to and other RHD, since Berlin will be for UK .. Could be a good thing.. but likely end up with more expensive MYs and only LR, Ps initially or tesla will just postpone for the small markets (likely)

Read this very painful article about someone trying an interstate road trip with their family in the Ioniq 5. I’ve seen the Ioniq 5 and it looks to be a pretty cool car, but its efficiency is woeful, and the loss of range at highway speeds is truly bad. It will put people off EVs.

Read this very painful article about someone trying an interstate road trip with their family in the Ioniq 5. I’ve seen the Ioniq 5 and it looks to be a pretty cool car, but its efficiency is woeful, and the loss of range at highway speeds is truly bad. It will put people off EVs.

hmm have to say good on Hyundai / Kia for trying - better than what Japanese brands have to offer as yet - but seems whichever region that's got battery tech can offer some EV at least.. EU is at a disadvantage (so was US until they got the Japanese, Korean, and now Chinese battery tech onboard with their ev offerings)

Last edited:

To be fair though, the Ioniq 5 is more of a conventional SUV/Crossover with a squarer rear.
The Model Y is a Kammback shape which is aerodynamically more efficient (especially at high speeds), but the sloped rear roof intrudes into the cargo area and makes it difficult to load taller objects to the back.

To be fair though, the Ioniq 5 is more of a conventional SUV/Crossover with a squarer rear.
The Model Y is a Kammback shape which is aerodynamically more efficient (especially at high speeds), but the sloped rear roof intrudes into the cargo area and makes it difficult to load taller objects to the back.
Watch the following and you'll see that the Ioniq has a noticeably smaller boot.
Performance and efficiency is no contest, add the Supercharging network versus the alternative in Australia at the moment...