Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without doing the ABRP testing I’d hazard a guess that even the LR would struggle in these use cases. Hybrids will still have a long future IMHO.
Which justifies my point about more range is better.
I work off EPA range, not WLTP as the former is more conservative & closer to real world.
On the highway cycle which is what matters (you'll almost never drive a car's entire range in one day in city areas), Longe Range goes 150km further than the base model:
2022 Tesla Model Y Receives Official EPA Range/Efficiency Ratings
Compare Side-by-Side

Having fold out solar panels in remote areas for charging can supplement to an extent

Not sure that these areas would be high on a Model Y owner's road trip list. EV's appropriate for these areas are still to hit our shores and will be some time away methinks.
One of my first trips/holidays will be to a remote area in Model Y LR
You are highly weight limited in carrying anything on top of Model X (with the risk of damage from accidentally opening falcon wing doors) & MX is over $100K more for maybe 25km extra highway range. The only real advantage is extra round clearance

What would be good if someone comes out with a trailer or van that has a battery in the floor that can add range - a bit like the company developing trailers with batteries in them for semi trucks
Like Colorado Teardrops Boulder with 75kwh of battery.

My understanding the Trailer can charge via a CCS2 DC Fast Charger, so at the charging station you charge both the car and the trailer in separate sessions. The only problem is the coupling back into the car which is non existent. So when the EV runs out of juice, you pull over, connect the trailer to the CCS2 port of the car and effectively charge the car from the trailer.

Reactions: Hairyman
I think a lot of the recent Australian state ones max out just under $70k. The NSW stamp duty rebate goes up to $78k so should at least get that. Tas stamp duty rebate will have no cap.
So with the rwd MY, I’ve optioned with colour and 20 inch wheel. The vehicle subtotal is close to $78k. So can anyone confirm it’s the subtotal price ie the car plus dealer delivery and order fee that’s calculated? Or is the 78k the drive away price including stamp duty and everything else like ctp and rego?

Which justifies my point about more range is better

And my point is just that right now there is no trip where the make or break is SR vs LR range.

The chargers are close enough together that if you are taking a trip in an area with chargers you are fine either way, and it’s only getting easier, and if you are going beyond the range of chargers, well I just don’t think 100-150km range is the difference that makes it worth taking so much more resources to create and carry around for those few trips.

For those that have ordered, am I supposed to get an email confirmation of my order? I can see my order on the website but I've seen people commenting about pick up location etc and it never asked me for anything like that?!?!
It's a Performance Y if that makes any difference so has a later expected delivery though now doesn't say what that is.
On Tesla.com it just says
"Next Steps
As your delivery date approaches, we’ll contact you to confirm your registration, payment method and, if applicable, trade-in details."

For those that have ordered, am I supposed to get an email confirmation of my order? I can see my order on the website but I've seen people commenting about pick up location etc and it never asked me for anything like that?!?!
It's a Performance Y if that makes any difference so has a later expected delivery though now doesn't say what that is.
"Next Steps
As your delivery date approaches, we’ll contact you to confirm your registration, payment method and, if applicable, trade-in details."
For me I got an email and it’s in my account on the website. I’m guessing for Perth the pickup location is Perth so no choice.

Reactions: alliwantisaY
"Next Steps

Our says exactly the same and also havent got any email confirmation of order. Ordered 10 minutes after orders opened, also ordered a performance Model Y which I think is the reason.

Its those who ordered the SR with delivery being possibly from August that seem to be recieveing the email
confirmations asking for delivery details.

You are highly weight limited in carrying anything on top of Model X (with the risk of damage from accidentally opening falcon wing doors) & MX is over $100K more for maybe 25km extra highway range. The only real advantage is extra round clearance
Yes you would never put anything on top of an X, apart from the doors it has no places to attach a rack. Ground clearance was the sealer for us, our 'driveway' is a dirt track and has 6 creek crossings which vary in depth depending on rainfall. Variable height suspension with ability to remember where the height changes take place is awesome.
One of my first trips/holidays will be to a remote area in Model Y LR
Good luck! Be interested to see how you go.

And my point is just that right now there is no trip where the make or break is SR vs LR range.

The chargers are close enough together that if you are taking a trip in an area with chargers you are fine either way, and it’s only getting easier, and if you are going beyond the range of chargers, well I just don’t think 100-150km range is the difference that makes it worth taking so much more resources to create and carry around for those few trips.
I have to disagree. Extra 100k or more would give you more reach to different charging sites - e.g. on a mElb-Syd or Melb-Bris drive if for example - chargers on the way are all busy or out of action for any reason. Even the MYLR is at the bottom end of range that would satisfy me, I would never go for the SR or any of the other competitors I have looked at which are all far less. And hybrids just a waste of time, would rather sticj with a good ICE. Agree with the person who talked about towing a trailer with an on-board battery, I can see this working even if it does lttle more than that. Perhaps with a roof mounted solar array to charge on the drive. For OZ we ultimately really want a comfortable 1,000 km range but technology (density and weight) is still a long way from that.

I have to disagree. Extra 100k or more would give you more reach to different charging sites - e.g. on a mElb-Syd or Melb-Bris drive if for example - chargers on the way are all busy or out of action for any reason. Even the MYLR is at the bottom end of range that would satisfy me, I would never go for the SR or any of the other competitors I have looked at which are all far less. And hybrids just a waste of time, would rather sticj with a good ICE. Agree with the person who talked about towing a trailer with an on-board battery, I can see this working even if it does lttle more than that. Perhaps with a roof mounted solar array to charge on the drive. For OZ we ultimately really want a comfortable 1,000 km range but technology (density and weight) is still a long way from that.
How do you account for rest / comfort stops? I'm ok with legs of up to 3 hours, after that me and my passengers want to rest.

I don't want 1000km range, I want a large number of available charging options throughout the country.

Even the MYLR is at the bottom end of range that would satisfy me, I would never go for the SR or any of the other competitors I have looked at which are all far less.
Not fussed about the range as such. I will order the LR for its combination of grunt, comfort (19" wheels) and range a distant third. It's replacing an older S90D which has really spoilt me. I don't want a step backwards, but I don't want to pay $10k extra for performance I'll never really need.

Reactions: Leeroy
Just wondering if it's possible to replace the 21" with 19" - I guess this is unknown since nobody has Y yet
TSportline make 18" wheels that fit the Y Performance.

• Helpful
Reactions: rx80 and Hairyman
Does anyone know any reputable tyre shop in Sydney familiar with replacing Tesla's?

Obviously I'm probably jumping the gun "a bit" early. I might be fine with 21" (is that even possible)
I think with the number of Model 3 on the road, most tyre shops have seen a Tesla or 2 by now. I use Jax Marrickville and they know my Model S quite well now, know how to put it in jack mode, where the lift points are etc.

• Informative
Reactions: rx80
Does anyone know any reputable tyre shop in Sydney familiar with replacing Tesla's?

Obviously I'm probably jumping the gun "a bit" early. I might be fine with 21" (is that even possible)

I think so, just wait till you get the car first and drive it around for a month or more. You might find the ride quality acceptable, you get use to it or it is just to harsh.

Changing rims and tyres can alter the car’s driving dynamics and performance. Example, I moved off run flats on my BMW and it vastly improved the cars driving dynamics, ride quality and fuel consumption. On my Ranger I changed the all terrain tyres from one brand to another and it destroyed the ride quality, introduced tyre noise and increased fuel consumption.

Personally, I ordered a performance spec and understand what I am in for.

The alternative is to wait it out for the long range and purchase the performance boost if you want a quicker car.

Reactions: rx80 and Peterbeans