Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my guess of how vin allocation works for this round:
  • according to historical data from the last few days we know vin allocation starts around 12:30, so i am guessing tesla runs a cyclic job around 12:30 to kick of vin allocation
  • due to delivery centre capacity there is a limit of how much car can be handled in each batch in each state, this is prob why we are seeing NSW cut off is around 10:45 (more orders) while WA (less orders) is after 12pm
  • then these cars will get allocated to a ship heading to asian countries
The vin allocation will begin when the first batch is all settled (as in knowing what ship the cars will be loaded on).

Above is just my wild guess.

ppl with allocated vin over in model 3 thread is getting updated EDD Aug 8 - Aug 18 (prob apply to MY orders with vin as well) which puts Morning Clara as the vessel candidate which is leaving shanghai on 6/7.
So next vin allocation should take a ride on either viking or morning crystal for EDD Aug 25 - Sept 4 for Viking or Aug 29 - Sept 8 for morning crystal.

One thing to remember regarding VIN allocation that my SA reinforced to me today is that the type of VIN allocation that those of us who ordered Ys currently have is a “soft” allocation. That’s why we have to use the plugin or search the source code to find it. My SA said that that is still subject to change which is why they don’t have it visible on the page. He said that once you receive a final invoice the VIN will be locked in but there is still a chance that things will change. Probably not but it is a possibility.

One thing to remember regarding VIN allocation that my SA reinforced to me today is that the type of VIN allocation that those of us who ordered Ys currently have is a “soft” allocation. That’s why we have to use the plugin or search the source code to find it. My SA said that that is still subject to change which is why they don’t have it visible on the page. He said that once you receive a final invoice the VIN will be locked in but there is still a chance that things will change. Probably not but it is a possibility.
must be some faith in the system if they fill out the rego papers with the allocated VINS already hey

Rego usually gets done once the cars are at the final delivery destination, well after the invoice has been done. It's common for people on here to find their rego on their state government rego apps a couple of days before delivery.
oh yeah I know, but I do find it interesting that the rego forms ( to be submitted at final stages ) are all already filled with the VINs right now.

And you do? You know more about VIN allocation than people who work for Tesla?
Never said I did but the reps are just as clueless as everyone else.

If you think a rep in Australia knows what's going on with the build schedule and allocations you're delusional
Please tell us exactly how you know that no one has ever had a VIN change. I’m dying to know.
Funny, I never said that either.
It's happened, but it's rare

Never said I did but the reps are just as clueless as everyone else.

If you think a rep in Australia knows what's going on with the build schedule and allocations you're delusional

I think the tesla reps are the same around the world even in china. I called one of the tesla dealer in shanghai china on Friday and the SA there didn't know anything about the shanghai giga shutdown in July.

Reactions: positiv

Which is exactly what the SA said. My comment was specifically about VIN and that there is a small chance they will change and you felt you had to comment that the SA had no idea what they were talking about. How can I read that in any other way than you know different. And the fact that they were talking about VIN allocation has nothing to do with them knowing anything about the build schedule either. So no delusion needed thanks. He said they were a told from above to tell the Model Y reservation holders who were getting excited about VINs that there is a possibility things might change so not to get too excited.
I know I overreacted a bit but it just really gets my goat when you try to share information you have received in good faith and someone comes along with a snarky comment that no one knows what they are talking about but them. It’s just internet trolling 101. And I know I broke the number 1 rule “Don’t feed the trolls” so that’s on me but sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself.

I just test drove a Model Y RWD and it was a lot better than my expectations!
For reference I currently drive a Renault Koleos 2015.

The major surprises:
- The ride quality is great! Much better than my car which is softly sprung but still jarring over bumps and loud. The Model Y is much more damped in vibrations you feel and sound. Its more of a thud than bang over bumps, and you don’t get bounced around. I have no idea what all the negative reviews were about? Maybe my car is just *sugar*. Can anyone else comment on this?
- The RWD is still fast! It felt almost as quick as the Model 3 LR i drove before that i had to ask salesperson after if it was actually a Performance. Maybe then the sensation is more from instant torque as with all EVs rather than the 0-100 time. Still I don’t want a great acceleration but a mouth dropping one, so still prefer LR, but I definitely wouldn’t be dissatisfied with this.

The slight negative:
- Feels like its harder to cool the car or maybe the temperature sensor is calibrated wrong, at 21C on Auto it was toasty and had to go 18C. Definitely felt heat radiating on my head, but can live with it.

Reactions: Brando_o and Blaq
I just test drove a Model Y RWD and it was a lot better than my expectations!
For reference I currently drive a Renault Koleos 2015.

- The RWD is still fast! It felt almost as quick as the Model 3 LR i drove before that i had to ask salesperson after if it was actually a Performance.
C'mon.....Maybe you forgot to press the go fast pedal when you were in the M3 LR? It is way way quicker than the MY RWD....